Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Just Replaced OEM '10 Radio with '12 Navigation Unit

128K views 283 replies 67 participants last post by  Brettski15 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 Tundra DoubleCab that my father gave me when he passed. So, I definitely am keeping this truck and I don't really want to do too many mods to it. It has the 5.7L V8 and he already had a Magnaflow catback installed. So that is definitely a plus IMO.

Anyway, the OEM unit that was in this was low level to say the least. I have aftermarket equipment in all of my vehicles but I want to try a factory look this time.

So, I bought a 2012 Toyota OEM Navigation system and it is simply plug and play. Steering wheel controls, Aux input, Navigation... everything works.

BTW, I am thinking of getting 2 Sundown Audio SD210's in a ported box for under the seat and a Sundown amp as well.

In the meantime here are a few pics of the installation. I may add a video in the future. I have to get use to the controls but all in all I really like it.

See less See more
#122 ·
Does anyone have a manual for this NON-JBL Navigation? I'd love to read more on it rather than sit in the truck and play with it for ever. Really what I'm trying to figure out is how to change the "nighttime" map color. I am not one for waiting until it is really dark out to turn on my lights, and would much rather have my map lighter than turn to black.

Thanks

#125 ·
Ok...is there anyone here that can post a complete step by step tutorial on exactly how to get this HU up and running correctly? I keep finding bits and pieces all over but nothing that gives me enough confidence to start connecting wires! Basically how to get the NAV working properly and if someone can inform on the rear camera topic. My truck is pre-wired. If I install the camera in the handle and connect the wires....will it display on the radio? Is there a plug in the back of the radio that is used specifically for a back up cam? If so...do I accomplish this by running the wires from overhead to it with the plug that is sitting up there as well? Thanks for any and all help in advance!

#129 ·
I got my backup camera working with k7 connector. I cant find instructions to get the mic going. I got mine wired but its not working not sure if the 2007 instructions out there is the same for 2012 jbl nav units.

#131 ·
I wish I could find out if the 2012 non jbl nav unit would show back up camera. I tapped the passenger side wire in the kick panel, but I have a aftermarket rostra back up cam. I tooked into the k6 plug with the blue wire but maybe I need it from the plug up top going to my mirror. Any thoughts. Thanks
Dave.

#132 · (Edited)
Dave....this is exactly the other part I am after as well. But I would be using the oem camera. If I remember correctly...there was one plug on the back of the radio that was left empty after install and if I remember correctly...it was in the shape of the plug up in the console for the mirror

Also....considering how many pics there are already...if you can just do a step by step write up, that might be enough. But if you are still too busy for that then I will gladly wait till you have time. As it stands I will never get this going until I am correctly taught how so I am more than willing to wait!

#136 ·
Scratch that....while it's true that XM is not built in to these radios as our previous head units were, I am not sure if it is even capable even with the additional hardware. I guess if you really want it.....someone will have to due their due diligence and find out exactly which hardware to buy to make it work on these radios. Start by finding out which vehicle had these radios available for then ask for the XM equipment that would fit that specific vehicle.

#135 ·
I just completed the non-jbl nav installation on my TRD SR5 Crewmax.

It wasn't really that hard per say... I spent more time trying to locate the factory GPS sensor mount - stripping the speedo bucket. I, for the life of me, could not identify any realistic mounting point for the bracket. So, it's secured where the center speaker would go. works very well there. No issues.

The rest of the wiring was simple based off what's found in these threads.

I found speed and reverse signals all available behind the radio - no need to go to the passenger kick panel.

I have a new aux plug, but I did not swap it out yet. Maybe I will tackle that when I change the speakers/add an amp.

I like the nav. It's a bit quirky, but the Bluetooth, voice, steering wheel controls, etc are all very nice to still have.

My backup cam is in the rear view - and staying there. I'm not going to try and change that. I like it in the mirror.

Another seems-to-be successful install!

#137 ·
Ya that's what I'm going to do. When ordering the k6 connector I discussed with him the XM radio, sent him some pics and info about the radio. He is sending me the kit he guarantees to work for my setup it should be in next week, and I will update then.

#141 ·
Im having a hard trying to find the usb/aux plug that goes with this unit. Is there an Ipod cable that plugs into the back of the unit?? My itouch sounds terrible over bluetooth.

#142 ·
Controls should light up amber like the rest of the controls and guages. They are also affected by the dimmer control so you might want to double check that.

I have found a few of the USB/Aux cables available seperately here and on eBay. I haven't purchased one because I can't bring myself to spend $150 on the cable when I spent $315 on the unit. I am just using the bluetooth for now until the right deal comes along. If you are reading this and haven't purchased a unit yet I recommend you make sure the USB/Aux cable is included with it. The Tundra's existing USB input does not work with the Nav unit but the Aux does.

#144 ·
"I had my local shop today install the k6 connector because I have zero wiring experience...i gave them instructions from the forum and which wires to tap...they got the speed senor from behind the dash and the reverse wire from the passenger side kick panel...the turn by turn now works but I have a bunch of lights on on my dash...the 4lo is blinking and the trac off and engine light is on. Did this happen to anyone else during there install if so any help to solve this is appreciated. The truck drives fine, no loss of power or anything like that. Thanks in advance."

Just an update on what happened, took the truck back to the dealership and the problem was a bad fuse (maybe just a fluke but who knows) went back today to get the k6 plug installed and now everything works with nothing lit up on my dash.

#146 ·
Im still trying to get my bluetooth and backup camera going. Anyone have a picture of your wiring?

#147 ·
I'm hoping so, when I contacted T. Mallick about the K6 connector he is sending me the K6 and the equipment to get the SAT radio working. He guarantees it to work, once I receive and install I will try to do a detailed write up with pics. Hopefully it will arrive soon and I can do the install this weekend.
By the way it was 215$ for everything shipped.

#148 ·
Not to thread jack, but I'm installing a sound ordinance 8BPT sub/amp combo and can't seem to figure out how to access the back door speaker wires in my CM. I've tried searching and can only find little info, anything specific would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.