Additional Camera (Forward Facing) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Additional Camera (Forward Facing)

Before anyone says so, yes I've read a few posts about the multiple camera install. So with that in mind please have some patience

The difficult part (at least to me) will be how to tie my new front facing camera into the same video feed as my current stock backup camera as I do not have an aftermarket HU.

I'd like to know if its possible to leave the current functionality as is (when put in reverse the video feed appears in the rear-view) but also run a switch to one of my empty dash ports that will override the default operation. Essentially while the switch is in the "center" position the backup camera operates normally but if I switch to the "down" position the camera stays on until I switch it it back to the center position (as long as the truck isnt in reverse) and likewise for the "up" position with the forward camera.

It seems to me that I would wire the power through my switch and depending on which camera had power is which feed would be sent to the rear-view display. That being said, it may be more beneficial to power both cameras all the time and simply toggle between displays but I dont think I can keep the functionality of the standard backup camera this way and I dont want to have to operate two switches (one to toggle power and one to toggle video).

This all leads me to several questions. I'm not sure what the wiring will look like and where the video ties into the rear-view display. Something else I just thought of, will the power toggle have to power both the video screen and the camera? What powers the rear-view when the truck is put in reverse? Will I have to splice into the video input? Can I even get away with wiring both cameras to the rear-view (I'm assuming there is only one video input on the display)? Whats my best option for my switch and does anyone make one that fits in the factory "blanks" in my dash?

I want a nice clean setup and would like to get most of this worked out in my head before I start dismantling my dash and digging around like I know what I'm doing, lol!

Thanks for the feed back!!

-Anthony

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

TODO: CAI (TRD), Lock & Drop Tailgate, Front Facing Camera (Help Me?!)

DONE: Charcoal Delete, LED Interior, K&N Drop In, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grappler's, 2.5" Level Kit, De-Badged, BHLM, Info Button, Smittybilt M1's.
The Following User Says Thank You to TundraStyle For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (07-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM

WOW! This is exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do as well. Very well written TundraStyle!!. I currently do not have any camera, but is on the future mod list once this is ironed out. My truck came with the factory towing package so I have all the connections from what I have been reading. I think having a camera on each end of the vehicle would be great for those tight parking spots and hooking up to the camper! I have to find a factory style camera to mount up in the top part of the grill with just the right angle to show the license plate and the rest of the blind spot in front of the truck. Any suggestions??

Has anyone seen or have one of these dual monitor review mirrors?

Subscribing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg INS-CRVLCDT213182346812426.jpg (36.7 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg INS-CRVLCDT213182346816796.jpg (35.4 KB, 402 views)

TWAC #64

Magnetic Gray Club #53

2012 DC 4X4 4.6L, Magnetic Gray Metallic, Tow Pkg, OEM B/U Cam w/homelink mirror, Info Button,
ARE V-Series Cap, Running Boards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duke_26 For This Useful Post:
JRP444 (08-04-2014)
#3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM

Thanked 1,316 Times in 888 Posts
I did this on my other truck before I got my tundra. I got 2 back up cams off of eBay. Then I got a monitor like above. I think it was 10.2" with split screen. One for the rear and one for the front. The mirror had a remote that controlled everything. I had the cameras wired to turn on with ignition and off when it was off. Then used the remote to switch between views.

iPhone

2004 Sequoia Limited
2012 Sequoia SR5

Old Truck Mods in Link Below:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...build-log.html
The Following User Says Thank You to berdine3 For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I was really hoping for some more help on this. I came across MarkLA's post earlier today (Help! (Backup Camera Anytime on) with OEM Nav & OEM Camera) and it reminded me how much I want to do this mod... it also reminded me how much I do not know about electrical systems in cars.

Has anyone done anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions to make? I just want a three position switch that either leaves the front on in the up position, defaults to factory in center position, and leaves the back on in bottom position. It seems very simple in my head but I wouldnt know where to begin or if there is a switch that can even do it.

I'm open to suggestions

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

DONE: Charcoal Delete, LED Interior, K&N Drop In, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grappler's, 2.5" Level Kit, De-Badged, BHLM, Info Button, Smittybilt M1's.
Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Bump?

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM

just remember, when buying a front camera you do not want a "reversed" picture like all back up cams are made. some cameras have the option to reverse the image and some do not. basically when looking through the front cam, if an object is on the right of truck, you need to make sure it is on the right of your screen. back up cameras automaticaly reverse the image but you dont want that for a front camera.

The Following User Says Thank You to 07vawirenut For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm still trying to figure out how to wire it all. This is not my strong suit, lol... I know I'm gonna screw something up :P

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraStyle View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how to wire it all. This is not my strong suit, lol... I know I'm gonna screw something up :P
Have you already gotten your front facing camera, if so what did you get. I'm looking at adding one to mine (haven't bought it yet), and would gladly share my switch setup to the display in the mirror.

This is how I was going to wire it up when I get it, so it should be fairly easy. just need to get the hardware so I draw the schematic.

Switch position Function
A acts as stock backup cam
B only displays front cam
C Front camera on except when in reverse
The Following User Says Thank You to eclipse3g For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (10-02-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I wasnt fully aware of the swapping image, I guess I just never thought about it. This is what I bought from Amazon:
Camera Camera

I was really hoping to keep stock performance at one setting, always on front/back with the other positions. Pulling forward and then backing back up will turn the camera on and off and there are times when I'd like the camera to stay on even when I put it in drive. With your layout it doesnt allow for always on backup camera, is this as intended?

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-04-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 PM

I was really hoping to keep stock performance at one setting, always on front/back with the other positions. Pulling forward and then backing back up will turn the camera on and off and there are times when I'd like the camera to stay on even when I put it in drive. With your layout it doesnt allow for always on backup camera, is this as intended?[/QUOTE]

The layout was based on a small 3 position toggle switch to go in to one of the blank switch covers, so in theory each position could be configured to your preferences.

Duke_26 (10-04-2012)
#11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
Awesome!

Now I just need to find a camera that works for the front. I'll donate mine to the volunteer fire dept or something... they're needing something to help them backup their new truck

I'm excited someone has finally wanted to do this! Let me know if you find a good camera.

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-04-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraStyle View Post
Awesome!

Now I just need to find a camera that works for the front. I'll donate mine to the volunteer fire dept or something... they're needing something to help them backup their new truck

I'm excited someone has finally wanted to do this! Let me know if you find a good camera.
What do you intend on using for the display (display in home-link mirror)? The question if using that display, is it the mirror or the camera that flips the camera image? The one you bought is relying on the monitor/display to flip it and have not played with the stock tundra camera and don't know if it does it internally or expects the display to flip it. The reason I bring this up is if the existing mirror display does the image flipping for the rear camera when you connect that front camera you got from Amazon it's image will be flipped (left is right and right is left).

Duke_26 (10-04-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm not aware of whether the display flips the image or the backup camera built into the truck flips it. If its the camera itself, the camera I bought will work fine it seems.

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-04-2012)
#14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM

Garage
I found this camera for the Toyota line up, but I'm not home to check the measurements to ensure the fit on the Tundra logo, but if this worked, the 3 way switch would be a must, but my biggest question on my set up is, how is the factory rearview mirror back up camera package (non navi) wired? Basically any aftermarket camera will come with a vid output....but doesn't the factory set up use something else? How would I splice my VID RCA into the factory wiring to show the display.....I also don't know if the rear camera or the mirror switches the image...if this the mirror, then is there anything out there to put in line to alter the camera image?

Car Vehicle Logo Front View Mark Camera for Toyota Prado Highlander Land Cruiser | eBay

2012 CM Limited, TRD, 4X4
-LRO 3" Level/lift kit
-Volant intake
-Undercover Flex tonneau cover
-Moto Metal 951 18"X9"
-33" Nitto Terra Grapplers
-Bull Bar
-OEM Nerf Bars
-more to come.....
2003 BMW 330I
1985 Jeep CJ-7
The Following User Says Thank You to polcat For This Useful Post:
Duke_26 (10-17-2012)
#15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

(Thread Starter)
I dont really know... I'm itching to do this but I (like you polcat) am not sure how I'm going to tie it into the video feed and I'm still looking for a way to wire the switch the way I want...

Texas Tundra Club #37
Magnetic Grey Club #51

2011 CrewMax 5.7L 4x4

Duke_26 (10-18-2012)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Audio/Visual Discussion