Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

OEM Radio Swap Help

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Ed Zeppeli 
#1 ·
I have the standard non-jbl single disc orange background radio and I am looking at upgrading to one of the better OEM radios toyota has. Not the navigation but the one with the nicer display.

I would like to get the 86120-0c290 and I believe i have the 86120-0c270 or the 86120-0c211. Does anyone know if these would be a plug and play swap?

My truck is 2010 DC with the non jbl 6 speaker systems

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#4 ·
I recently put in a panasonic built OEM from a 2011; replacing the orange-displayed 6 disk one. It was plug and play except for the AUX input which I've yet to figure out.

Good luck,

Warren

PS. I second replacing the stock speakers. I put in some Hertz components, two 8" subs and an Audison amp and it's perfect.

#5 ·
Ok Here is what happened.

I had a 86120-0C270 in my 2010 double cab. Mine is a 2010 but it was manufactured in the middle of 2009, my truck only has the AUX port no USB, so take this for what it is. I recently found a 86120-0C290 on eBay for cheap and purchased it. After researching, I was worried that the auxiliary port would not work. I came to terms i would have to install some adapter later and proceeded with the install.

after pulling the old radio out, I test fitted and checked the operation of the new one. Radio worked, good lets proceed. With the A/C controls laying in the floor still all plugged up, I plugged in my phone to the aux and hit the aux button on the new unit. Bluetooth popped up which I did not have. Great I thought, adapter it is. Then I went to test the CD and realized I had left my Skynyrd cd in the old unit, crap. New unit came out old unit went in, eject cd. Then I took the plug out of the back of the aux port to examine the wire coloring. Im pretty sure these wires run to the 20 pin on the back of the old and new stereo.

I stuck the new unit in, finagled the dash back together and started setting the presets and along with other settings. Skynyrd played just fine, so i decided i'd give the aux port one more shot. i plugged the headphone cord into the stereo and an aux light came on the screen, ALRIGHT!! Plugged my phone and and it worked just like it did with the old unit.

Don't know what i did, if the plugging and unplugging of the port helped, hell it coulda been Skynyrd's doing. I do have pictures of the wires if it will help anyone.

Attachments

#6 ·
trying to upload the picture of the 20pin on the stereo but having issues, i'm going to put it in my albums if anyone needs to see it.

Attachments

#7 ·
#8 ·
If i read that correctly, you should jump 18 from the 20 pin to 7 of the 10 pin. That doesn't sound to terrible a job to do. Just getting everything out is such a hastle. Do you know what radio models you have? Your old and new unit?

#9 ·
Well, your numbers seem to be toyota part numbers and the number I know is model #. The original radio was the orange displayed, 6 disc Delco one. I replaced it with one from a 2011 with blue display (A51893 I believe is on the faceplate) made by Panasonic and has USB and bluetooth capabilities.

And yes, the instructions don't seem too bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.