User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Does Auto LSD Do Anything?

I have a 2010 Rock Warrior. Today I tried to cross a ditch in 2WD and once the right rear tire came of the ground, drivers side rear started spinning. All forward motion stopped. I backed up, engaged LSD, and tried again. Same result, right rear in the air, drivers rear spinning. Pushing Auto LSD didn't do a thing! Had to engage 4WD to cross ditch. As I crested the far side, my plastic gas tank skid caught on a small curb and completely folded downward. THe skid is a joke. Once I was home, I pulled out the sawsall and trimmed the folded portion of the skid. Not the type of day I was hoping for. Does anyone have any traction suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? What is Auto LSD supposed to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:13 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 11,999 Times in 4,898 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
ALSD is supposed to use the brakes on the spinning tire to transfer power to the non-spinning tire.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Instructor (10-30-2010)
#3 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 06:47 PM

(Thread Starter)
Has anyone experienced Auto LSD actually stop the spinning tire and transfer power to the non-spinning tire? I am starting to think I need to add the Auburn Pro Series LSD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Instructor For This Useful Post:
kentwal (10-31-2010)
#4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:15 PM

I believe the idea behind the Auto LSD is to stop the slipping wheel (via the brake) so power is transferred to the wheel with grip. This is nice enough, assuming both rear wheels are on the ground and power can be switched back and forth as needed to keep you moving. In your case, with one wheel off the ground and a loss of traction on the other side, you're screwed if you don't have that 4WD knob. It's a nice concept but it certainly has its limitations.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cochrab73 For This Useful Post:
Hawgcaller (01-14-2011), Instructor (10-30-2010)
#5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 07:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,524 Times in 1,644 Posts
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you are going to be finding yourself in situations such as this, I would highly recommend the ARB locker.

2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2wd Supercharged, IPT Valvebody, Auburn LSD, BAm custom exhaust, Sequoia sway bar, custom air box mod, ....and a bunch of other crap

New England Tundra Club Member #2

Custom switch panels & emblems
www.gaugeplates.com

The measure of a man is what he does with power ~ Plato
The Following User Says Thank You to RIjon For This Useful Post:
Instructor (10-30-2010)
#6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 AM

Thanked 1,173 Times in 668 Posts
Garage
It's not very effective at actually stopping the slipping wheel. It might be slowing it down, but it doesn't brake enough to fully transfer power. That's why it's branded limited slip, not locking.

2011 F-350SD - SRW XLT FX4 CCLB: 6.7L PSD, 6R140, 3.55:1 EL, Job 2 (Daily Driver)
With BDS 6" 4-Link & Rear Leafs, Fox 2.0 IFP, Toyo MT 38x13.50R18 on 18x9 Fuel D525, Bulletproof Prerunner Bumper, EGR/DPF/SCR delete.

1994 RAM 2500 - SLT Laramie 4x4 RCLB 5.9L 6BT NV4500 (Project)
2009 Tundra - SR5 4x2 RCLB 5.7L 4.30:1 (Sold)
Others: 1995 F-350HD DRW 4x2 CCFB 7.3L-T444E PSD // 2004 F-350SD SRW 4x4 CCLB 6.0L-VT365 PSD.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Premium Member

Honestly the best thing for serious offroading is a locker. It all depends on what you need. LSD's are totally useless in my mind, just from my experience offroad, which is mainly with jeeps, but worthwhile nevertheless.
Lockers are the best for serious stuff. Few pieces of advice, I've good experiences with a quality electronic locker, some people may say otherwise, but mine never once failed me. I have, however, watched ARB air lockers blow on several occasions. If you decide on a true locker, what ever you do, DO NOT get a "full-time" locker. Make sure it is selectable.

"Do, or do not. There is no try."
Wise words, from a wise muppet.

2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 4x4
33"x10.5" R18 Toyo Open Country M/T
Stock Wheels
20% Tint front/15% Rear
Leer 100R Camper Shell
DDM HiD 35w 5k headlights
Weathertech window visors
Weathertech front floor mats
Husky rear floor mats
XM Satellite radio
Debadged/De-chromed

Soon to come:
Bushwacker pocket flares
Full metal front bumper/winch
#8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
Today I tried to cross a ditch in 2WD and once the right rear tire came of the ground, drivers side rear started spinning. All forward motion stopped. I backed up, engaged LSD, and tried again. Same result, right rear in the air, drivers rear spinning. Pushing Auto LSD didn't do a thing!
I read this a few times just to make sure.
It REALLY "sounds" like what you are saying is- tire in air not spinning and tire on ground spinning.
This is exactly what traction control is.
If you had no traction device- tire in air would be spinning and tire on ground would be sitting there doing nothing. That would be what is considered an open differential. An LSD, when traction to one tire is lost, transfers a portion of the energy to the other tire- hence when your Rightside came off the ground, your left started spinning. It worked. sounds like you were just in some loose terrain for the tire in the dirt and it just spunout and buried itself.
Thats where 4x4 comes in.
BTW- i personally do not like all the nannies on my truck for wheeling. they do work great for "traction" on the road though.

Now, the skids. www.Budbuilt.com will answer your questions.

The 3 B's- Buy it, Build it, Beat it
The Following User Says Thank You to zidaro For This Useful Post:
Instructor (11-01-2010)
#9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:14 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 11,999 Times in 4,898 Posts
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zidaro View Post
I read this a few times just to make sure.
It REALLY "sounds" like what you are saying is- tire in air not spinning and tire on ground spinning.
This is exactly what traction control is.
If you had no traction device- tire in air would be spinning and tire on ground would be sitting there doing nothing. That would be what is considered an open differential. An LSD, when traction to one tire is lost, transfers a portion of the energy to the other tire- hence when your Rightside came off the ground, your left started spinning. It worked. sounds like you were just in some loose terrain for the tire in the dirt and it just spunout and buried itself.
Thats where 4x4 comes in.
BTW- i personally do not like all the nannies on my truck for wheeling. they do work great for "traction" on the road though.

Now, the skids. www.Budbuilt.com will answer your questions.
Good catch. Yeah, it sounds like it was working like it should if the tire in the air was not spinning. There wasn't enough traction and too much resistance in front for the one wheel on the ground to get the truck moving.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Instructor (11-01-2010)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I have driven around in the snow with LSD on and off its a huge difference in traction

Why don't we just take the safety labels off everything and see what happens?
~BAMF #9~
The Following User Says Thank You to zaphod07 For This Useful Post:
Instructor (11-01-2010)
#11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate all of the responses.....I should have thought a little more about the situation. With the tire in the air and the tire in contact with the ground both spinning, LSD was working. I think I was just trying to cross to deep of a ditch with lose dirt under my tires. Thanks again!
#12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Toyota's ALSD = useless. I was in my subdivision last week backing into my driveway. The road was mostly plowed/cleaned, but there were a few spots here and there with ice. I stopped where my left-rear tire was on ice and my right-rear tire was on concrete. I tried backing up in 2WD and was totally embarassed when the left-rear tire just spun and I wasn't going anywhere! LOL! I had to pull forward off the ice patch, then try it again! FAIL Toyota, for not installing a mechanical locker...

'07 black USK55L-TRTDKA - daily driver
'09 grey Z34 - AAM Comp Xhaust, Nismo shox, O.S. Giken LSD, Frontier 4.36 final, Xedy clutch, Defi, Volk Racing G2s, Yoko AD08, - 12" weekend cruiser
'05 red CT9A-SNDFZ-RS - mid 12" grocery getter/garage ornament
'98 D33A - mid 11" V8 killer
#13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondruh_ricer View Post
Toyota's ALSD = useless. I was in my subdivision last week backing into my driveway. The road was mostly plowed/cleaned, but there were a few spots here and there with ice. I stopped where my left-rear tire was on ice and my right-rear tire was on concrete. I tried backing up in 2WD and was totally embarassed when the left-rear tire just spun and I wasn't going anywhere! LOL! I had to pull forward off the ice patch, then try it again! FAIL Toyota, for not installing a mechanical locker...
Did you press the button to enable the LSD?

2009 Crewmax Limited 4x4- 5.7
Volant CAI / Stebel Big Daddy Horns / Line-X Bed Liner / Extang Solid Fold / TRD T-Handle Shifter / Tinted Front Windows / Toyota 20" Carved Alloys / Hankook Dynapro ATMs / iPod Interface Cable / Fog Light Mod / Interior LEDs

#14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,869 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
I couldn't make it up my driveway a few weeks back. I didn't realize I had to push the button. had to plow the hole thing before I could go any farther. After reading a bit on here figuring out I had to push the button. I then took a drive into the field area on the side of the house (6" fresh snow). Push the button and manually shifted into 2nd drove around pretty well, I watched as the rear diff engaged and then disengaged.. spitting snow and dirt 20+ feet behind,"both sides" then I backed up and manually shifted into 3rd gear. with one foot lightly on the brake I was able to crawl up a hill that would be impossible to climb with a open rear. Made me feel a little better. Still not as good as 4wd but it did help. A ARB would be great. I want it to be a SPOOL!

2007 SR5 5.7 Katzkin, LED lighting through out, LED door handles, Color Matched handles & grill surround, CST 3.5" Spindles OME 614 Full Suspension, Coachbuilder +3" Shackles by Ekstrom Design, BHLM,35"/12.5"/20 Nitto Trail Grapplers,BMF SOTA death metal black finish 20"x10" -19 offset.
Ekstrom Design LLC. "Design, Prototyping and Manufacturing" 801.635.4872 ekstrom_design@yahoo.com

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra 4x4 / Off-Road Tech