Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

N Fab Radius installation Problems

44K views 49 replies 13 participants last post by  simspt 
#1 · (Edited)
Just finished installing an N Fab Radius bumper.

Overall I am happy with it. Looks killer and seams pretty strong.

When installing I ran into two problems. First one being the OEM skid plate being in the way. I guess the N Fab skid plate is supposed to slide underneath the the OEM skid plate, but that would look tacky as hell so I ended up trimming about to 1.5" and bending it up so that N Fab could cover it.

Now here's the problem I have not been able to solve yet. I have a few options in mind but wanted to see if anyone here had a better solution. The stock grill won't attach on the bottom. The bumper is in the way so the push rivets can't go into their holes.

First idea is loosening bumper and putting grille on then bolting bumper down. Problem with this is that it is so much more work every time I want to take grille off.
Other option is trimming the bottom of grille but really don't want to cut into it.

Has anyone on here dealt with this issue before? How did you fix it?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I turned the push rivets around in their housing so that they would not actually go into the hole, just push up against the frame to avoid rattling. Three less mounting points for grille but seems sturdy enough for now.

SoCal 2014 MT Tundra

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry don't mean to hijack but by chance did you have any problems getting the bumper screens mounted. I have the same one and just got the screens in the mail (did not come with them) And I can not for the life of me get them mounted. Its as if the holes are to far apart at each end so the bolts will not mount straight. Thanks for any insight. (clean looking truck)

#6 ·
I agree. I saw a few posts about the bumpers not being fully bolt on but did not expect this much of a hassle. Since I did not want to go through the whole return/wait deal I decided to just make it work. Pretty annoying though as the price is pretty hefty. Almost feel like I should have looked into ADD bumpers.
Oh well, it's on now and it looks good (except the somewhat messy texturizing job)...

SoCal 2014 MT Tundra

#11 ·
A couple installation flaws for sure but it was worth it. Love to look. Will probably have a custom skid plate or two cut that continues further under the truck.

I actually used the same lightbar I had installed behind my grille, just relocated it. It's a 42" spot/flod from Headlight Revolution. I think I payed $400 for it and it came with brackets, harness, etc. been pretty satisfied with it, plenty power.

SoCal 2014 MT Tundra

#16 ·
Sucks that the install is not as easy as it should be, but the truck looks great. I had to use my grinder on the optional steps for my N-fab rock rails to get one to fit, but in the end still liked the product. Probably will end up getting one of their bumpers too. Hopefully the grille issue is solved by then.

#21 ·
Did you ever get a response on these issues from N-Fab? Were they helpful?

You mentioned the texture was a bit messy. Were there any real serious issues? How's it holding up?

It looks like the covers for the side sections are gloss black. Does it look funky with the textured bumper?

#22 ·
Ended up never calling them. Besides having to trim the skid plate and mess around with the grille a bit it wasn't too bad of an installation. Overall I really like it and it looks bitchin. The texture issue is not even noticeable, the cover looks great. The matte and gloss combo matches the rest of truck.

Be aware, it absolutely kills your Mpg. Aerodynamics are completely off.

SoCal 2014 MT Tundra

#27 ·
You can’t remove the grille with the bumper in place. And with the aftermarket grille on my truck the bumper touches the grille and has rubbed off some paint behind the bumper. To fix it I’ve been thinking about making some spacers to push the bumper out a bit, but there only room for about a 1/4 on the studs. If you remove the piece on top of the tube you could remove and replace the grille with the bumper still installed, so that is another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#30 ·
You can still take the grille off with the bumper. All you have to do is put the lower pop rivetes on the grille backwards and it pushes it back just enough for bumper to fit. Yes, the grille won’t be attached on the bottom but the bumper will hold it in. I’ve been off-roading like this plenty times and it’s solid as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
The stock setup has a gap between there and when the truck flexes that gap closes on the compressed side. If this actually touches then I would think it would put a lot of pressure on the grill. Anybody with this bumper have a good flex shot of the front?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.