Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Bud built skid already paid for itself

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  onlyif 
#1 · (Edited)

I just finishing fitting and installing this bad boy yesterday. Here in Texas there are lots of rocks and i drive on tank trails. Anyways I got a surprise and took a hit. If this was not there things would be pretty gay right now cause the rock would have impacted straight into my LCA bolt. I also have the TC control arm tab add ons too.

Anyways, superglad I went with the stainless steel. Eventually I will get it off when I am around a vise and clamp the bent part and use the rest of it for leverage. Hopefully that works?

It pays to get the good shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I have had the Bud Built front and mid skid plates for a couple of years now and they took a fair amount of abuse while doing some wheeling in CO. The smooth joint from front to mid was not longer smooth and the lip around the oil filter access panel was out of line. The joint from the front to mid only had three bolts on mine. I decided it needed more to keep the lapping joint smooth. I added three more by drilling and tapping and countersinking. You may want to consider adding some more if you take it off. Mine looked like your and I added another bolt next to the access panel and the bolt pulled it down smooth again when it was tightened down. Like you, I am a big believer in the added strength of the skids.

Reactions: dissipator16
#6 ·
Ok, here is a pic of my abused skid plates. Like I said, mine only came with 3 bolts holding the seam together. IMO, needed more to keep it tight when the beating comes. You will see a hole without a bolt, broke my tap on the previous hole but will go back and add at some point. I wish I had added these before the initial install, in hindsight.

Attachments

#13 ·
Do you have the gas tank skid? pics? I was offroading this weekend and high centered for a second which bent up the front metal band strap that holds the gas tank up with a few little scratched to the plastic tank. But since im getting more serious going to offroad parks I feel like this is the weakest point underneath my truck right now and it needs protection. Some pics for attention.

Attachments

#14 ·
Sorry, I don't have the other skid plates but am planning on getting the other 3 to get mine protected as much as possible. Your truck is looking good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.