Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

ARB Air Lockers

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  david_2011_rw 
#1 ·
I just got lockers for my Tundra. I thought about posting to an existing thread but thought this would get more visibility. I usually do my own work but with 40 pages of instruction I decided to let the pros handle it. The installer told me that I need to engage the rear locker before the front. So I am thinking you can't run just the front is this true? I will try it next time I am out.

I see a lot of comments about breaking CV joints. I understand why this would happen if turning on a good traction surface like sandstone. But otherwise I would think there would be less overall stress with four wheels climbing instead of two. Is it obvious if you break a CV joint? I will probably start carrying spares. Do they make stronger than stock?

I usually do my wheeling in UT or CA. The stock system performs very well but this past April I got into two places where lockers would have helped. One was a very steep sandstone climb. The other was out of a stream channel. Not difficult but the wheels with the best grip just would not turn. The winch kept me going. I wanted to try them out so I went to an off-road park in MO near my home.

I was very impressed. Not a lot of rocks but some steep loose surface hills. In low four the tires would spin. With the click of a switch it would climb with complete control. Easy to engage or disengage as need. I did find a few rocks and felt the lockers were a great improvement. No difference on the highway. I think I could have made it up the waterfall if it was not for those rivets on the bottom of the frame locking into the rock. I think I will add some angle steel that will slide easer. Can't wait to get out west.

http://youtu.be/92Q_LEi2MxM
http://youtu.be/7S8xAFXVIiQ

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Great vids!! I love to see people actually using their modified tundra off-road, instead of just hitting speed bumps in the mall parking lot :clap:

#6 ·
Impressive! Very impressive! I just cannot understand why Toyota didn't make selectable lockers an option, especially on the TRD Pro.
I'd like to see a TRD Pro tackle the stuff your Tundra walked up!

I'm more impressed with your Tundra's capabilities than the TRD Pro's because your truck will go a lot further off road.

Congrats on the best mod; enjoy!

#9 ·
Adding lockers will create more drive-train stress even if you are offroad. The CV joints will definitely let you know when they fail, you'll get all sorts of horrible noises, and you'll lose power to that wheel. There really isn't anything out there that's stronger unless you do a solid axle swap...the IFS isn't the greatest offroad so that'll be a huge problem for you at some point as the IFS wears. If you have a lift and you didn't do a front differential drop, your CV joints are already stressed as they're constantly at an angle due to the lift, add the extra stress of a locker and it will certainly cause CV joint failures.

The ARB lockers are awesome, but they'll definitely create some additional offroad stress to the vehicle. Then again if you are putting all that into your truck you already know that you are stressing the vehicle's drive-train anyways so yep definitely carry spare parts. I like ARB's lockers because you also get the added bonus of an on-board air compressor for inflating and deflating your tires, and other items. I believe there are some setups that have a small on-board air tank option as well to allow the use of a few air tools, as well as operating your lockers a few times without needing the compressor turned on. I know the ARB bumpers are really good I had the ARB Deluxe Bumper/Bull Bar on my Jeep. Used it a few times for pushing vehicles around the property. Great bumper and already setup to mount a winch, lights, and communications antennas. Only thing with the bumper on my jeep is the shop never got the turn signal lights in the bumper to work right so I just pulled the bulbs out of the lights...it was a short somewhere and I never bothered to find out where LOL.

IMO its better to have fully select-able lockers than rely on electronics or wheel slip. I'd rather have them engaged or not engaged when I chose to. The ARB setup is great, usually its 3 switches 1 for the compressor, and 1 for each locker. The switch panels look great too, and the one's I've seen have an in-dash air pressure gauge as well for the on-board air tank if its equipped with one.

#15 ·
Everyone has to decide how far they will go with their vehicle. I always look at my truck as a tool. In April I was bouncing down the emigrant trail on the Halls Crossing Side of lake Powell. This week I was hauling grade 8 and blocks for a wall. There is no way around scratches on the clear coat but I don't want to be stupid and roll it into a canyon. Still you don't know the limits until you test them. The best upgrade I have done so far is wheels and tires. But that required a lift. I did the minimum to get close to 35s. The lockers are good but you cannot change the wheel base or turning circle of a Tundra. But I don't need a trailer and nothing is better than watching the looks on the faces of nine build Rubicon's as they drive past. Some under armour is next on the list.

#17 ·
Thanks for the info. I put my truck on jack stands and it was interesting to see how things behaved. I always try and take it slow and easy and I like the selectable control. I did push it a little but it was only a quarter mile from owners shop so I thought it was a good place to test the limits. I plan to add some spares to my recovery gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.