Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

need rim suggestion

972 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  osidepunker 
#1 ·
I am wanting to go with a bigger tire, but stock rims cannot run a 12.50 tire.

What rim backspacing do I need to run a 35x12.50 and actually off road? I am looking at rims and tires and really like the Toyo Open Country RT but they on come in 35x12.50 or 33x12.50

#2 ·
Yes they can. The tire manufacturer doesnt recommend it, but guys run 35x12.5" all the time. I run 315/70/17 on 8" wide rockwarrior wheels all day long

If you really want to get different rims, then use a wheel calculator and compare the following:

315/70/17 on 8" wide wheel with +55 offset will fit with no major rubs.

Use the calculator to find the backspace for that setup^^. Then apply the calculator to an 8.5" wide wheel and find a wheel that has the same backspace and you will be good to go.

#3 ·
I would prefer to stay with my stock rims, but It is my understanding that 295/70 R18 is as big as I can go without rubbing. I wish their was a place I could swap and try on tires to test the fit.

I really like the Toyo Open Country R/T's but they only come in 33x12.50 or 35x12.50. I am not sure I can fit the 35's with what I have.

Thoughts osidepunker?

#4 ·
295/70 R18 is a safe bet. Lots of guys run that size on TRD wheels.

TRD wheels are +65mm, RW wheels are +55mm. RW is 8" wide and Im pretty sure the TRD is also.

Since the TRD is almost a half inch more tucked in than RW wheel, I suspect that a 35 will rub the UCA. I would just get some 1.25" spacers (make sure they are double anodized aluminum, hub and wheel centric) and you should be good to go with those Toyos

I will admit that I have not seen a truck running TRD wheels with true 35" tires so ymmv, but based off of the math, I think they will work

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.