Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

RTT talk

207K views 647 replies 64 participants last post by  Dragos28 
#1 ·
I am not completely sold on roof top tents. I have been eyeballing Four Wheel Campers for over a year now. However, in the interest of keeping my truck light and maneuverable (and save some $$$!), I feel like I should at least explore the RTT option.

This is not a RTT vs other campers thread. I would like to collect as much info as possible about RTTs and mounting systems for our trucks.

We are luckier than other vehicle platform as we don't have to worry so much about being top heavy. My preference is to mount over the bed like a lot of Tacomas do. What do you guys think is the best way to mount to the bed? The ots solutions like Thule are too expensive. Wood is too heavy. I'm left with custom fab (I prefer aluminum for weight) as I have not heard of any half rack being sold for the tundra. I would try and fab one myself (I am a hardware engineer by trade), but I cant weld so that really limits my ideas.

I have about $3k to work with total. I have no idea how much I'm gonna have to sink into the bed rack. But I also need to mount jerry cans and 2 full size spares. I'm thinking I need to integrate them into the rack somehow. But whatever I have left I can spend on the RTT.

Which RTTs have you guys heard good things about? If you have one (Craig!) let me know why you decided on it and which others you considered.

What problems have you experienced or anticipate? Positives?

Right now I am looking at the ARB tent, but I really just started my research.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't get the RTT's. Seems like it would be a hassel to leave camp if you needed the truck to go somewhere :confused: Do you not want to set a tent up on the ground because of creepy crawlies? Bears?

#3 ·
We have been using ground tents for years. They work well.

But you are limited when choosing a campsite. You need lots of flat open space. With an RTT I just need a little space around the vehicle.

You also have to pack the bedding separately. RTT packs everything in one neat square.

Being off the ground could be lifesaving in the event of a flash flood. We have to worry about that in the deserts around here.

Being up in the air is cooler when camping in hot weather; more breeze.

Repacking the tent is simple enough that if I had to drive somewhere I would just break camp. I dont like leaving my things behind anyway.

One last thing, altho this applies to ground tents as well. Stepping up to a quality fabric, like a good poly-cotton blend is supposed to be a completely different experience. The tents should be warmer in cold weather, yet still breathe well so that you dont fill the inside with condensation. In hot weather they wont hold moisture so they should feel cooler.

#4 ·
It takes all of 5 mins to fold the RTT up and off you go.
I went with the RTT because I hated setting up a tent and unloading the truck and getting the tent prepared for sleeping. Now I just unfold the tent and sheets sleeping bags are already in there. Just throw my bag and pillows in and I am good to go.
The fabric on mine is much thicker and waterproof. A lot warmer and have yet to test it in the heat but being higher with a breeze it might be just fine. On cold nights I do get some condensation on the ceiling but it hasn't been bad. Haven't used it in the rain or high wind yet either so can't help ya there.
I made a simple mount for mine out of 1 1/4 square steel just because it mounts to the square tubing better than round. No jerry can mounts or anything else, but you could make is so it holds a spare fairly easy. Could also make it to hold shovel, Hi-lift or whatever else. For extra gas its just as easy to load them in the bed - I have a large weatherproof bin that holds my gear so really only just that bin a cooler and my campstove in the bed. Plenty of room for gas, propane, water and firewood.
Alex just look on Craigslist and find someone that fabricates and can weld Aluminum. Normally they would be able to build a rack with any custom mounts you want. The hardest part for me was figuring out hot to mount it to the bed - I didn't want it permanent cause I don't leave it on. The sun would kill the RTT cover, so my mount stays attached to the RTT and put in the garage when not being used. It does take 2 people to put it on but if my boat wasn't taking all the space in the garage i would hang it from the ceiling and make a pulley system to lower and raise it with 1 person.

Reactions: osidepunker
#7 ·
Which tent did you go with? I take it you mounted the front of the rack in the stack holes, but how did you attach the rear of the rack?

I was hoping to mount cans and spare under the rack. Have the rack sit about a foot or so higher than yours. Altho that might raise the cg too high.

Mine would have to be removable as well for hauling. But I would probably just leave it on most of the time. I can garage my truck right now so Im not worried about the sun. I have fab guys that I can talk to, but they suck at designing lol It would be better if I called them up with a finished plan.

#5 ·
Thanks for the explanation, that makes more sense. It's interesting to me how people camp/hunt/fish in different parts of the country.

I converted a 5'x8' cargo trailer for an off-road camper. Works good for me but it would probably be like being in an oven in your neck of the woods :runinafire:

#6 ·
Well it kinda sucks to pitch a tent in the desert - lots of rocks. And not real easy to pull a tent trailer in these parts either down the roads I travel. I can camp anywhere I can get my truck.

#8 ·
I dont remember the brand of tent but its the same as the Tepi tents. Just got the 2 man size cause thats all I needed. The rack is built with 6in wide angle and sits over the bed side and not in the stakes. It is connected via uni-track where the factory tie downs mount. So I can slide it forward or further back. Sits high enough to clear the spare and it doesnt sit above the height of the cab just for less wind resistance when traveling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Ive' been looking at these as well and i think im gona put it above my quad on the quad trailer, then i can drop the trailer , unload the quad and pull the rtt open and have my truck separate from the rtt and have the space where my quad was to have a kitchen area or covered sitting area. Maybe screen that in too.
Ill have to build the rack for above the quad though.

#13 ·
Yeah I wish mine had some screen in the ceiling but maybe I will just cut a hole and add my own. Then use velcro and make it a flap that I can open and close. It has a rain fly so not worried about water.

#15 ·
RTT in my Tundra

I have had my tent for more than a year, I used a lot and I bought it to convince my wife to go camping in remote areas more often because she hate bugs and animals.
After I used the tent (if not rain or mud) is ready to pack and use again. It keeps so clean because is in the top.
The tent can be set in not time if you pack it correctly. To pack it back, it take a little of more time to fit all in place and be able to install the cover.
The tent is WAY more expensive of that floor type tent, but the construction is way better. It has its own mattress. The materials are better and also it have an isolated floor.
The downside of that is that basically you are stuck at the place until you pack it back. You can live the floor tent and go wheeling and go back with out pack all.
I install the the in my roof only when I going to used, it takes two people to install it and I keep it dry and clean for the next adventure.
I used in could whether (20F) and we spend a warm nite in the tent.
Well that is my two cents.

This is my Truck/tent in the desert.

This is in Colorado with the changing room attached.

#22 ·
Hey guys I was just at CVTs showroom in Bend,OR. Bobby opened it up just for us that day and gave word on his plan for killer discount starting next month. He said he was gonna pop in here so keep your eyes peeled. Great thing about his setup is he has some killer ideas for his tents. If you wait til April as well he's doing some sweet upgrades as well!

#25 ·
that is exactly what is holding me back! (well that and some $$$ for the tent lol)

I'll probably just end up doing square tube bolted to 90 degree plates attached to the bedrails. Need to figure out a good hinge and gas strut since I plan on having the bars rest at the level of the bedsides. It'll be low and I'll need to lift it up to access gear underneath prior to unfolding the tent. I've decided that I want jerry cans and spares up in front of the bed below the rear window for the best CG.

#26 ·
Maybe I can have Keith show me how to weld Aluminum while I am down this weekend. Then I can buy some wire and start playing. :D Want to build another bed rack.

#29 ·
decided to pull the trigger on a Howling Moon Stargazer 1.6m. They have a great reputation for quality.

Looks like only Sierra Expeditions and Bundu Gear imports them. Bundu didnt return my email last week. Just left them a vm. Sierra is on back order. Container ship just left s africa so it looks like I have to wait 8 weeks! :eek:

#33 ·
I went raised because you need access when the tent is setup at camp. Otherwise you have to empty the bed before you open the tent. I think a hinge would be a pain. But that's me
Im with you man. All the tacomas use raised racks. My end goal is a solid mounted raised rack with a slide or hinge. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible but I am running into a few concerns:

1. Height. I cant have the top of the packed RTT higher than my roof. I barely have 2"-3" clearance when I park in the garage. This means that it wont be raised as high as I would like. Getting under the rack to access gear means that I would have to stoop/kneel alot. I plan on mounting all my cans right behind the cab for good CG, coolers in the center, tires and gear boxes center-rear. Seems like it would be a pain to crawl under the rack to access the coolers and cans. A hinge with gas struts or a slide would add complexity and cost, but would allow me to stand and walk around my bed.

2. Cost. I think I will have to spend $500-$1k to get an aluminum rack fabbed the way I want. Not sure I will have the funds this year. I can rig up a couple cross bars pretty cheap to hold me for the next year or so until I can afford a proper rack. Crossbars mean it would sit at the height of the bedsides, so a hinge/slide would be mandatory.

Another idea I thought of was a rack that could elevate up and down. So when cruzin, it would sit at the height of the bedsides, but when camped I could raise it up so I can get underneath it without killing my lower back. This seems like a more complicated solution tho

#34 ·
You could make some mounts that have square tubing inserts and then the rack would slide up and down inside the mounts with pins to set the height. Only thing is it would rattle a lot more than a solid mount, but would allow you to adjust the height up and down. I can vision it in my head and should work well but might be a pain to adjust.

#36 ·
I'm in the process of exploring a RTT rack as well with Jason Demello doing the fab work. My requirements seem to be the same as what has been discussed above. I'd like it to be below my roof line but still be able to raise it for easier bed access. Jason shared an idea of using a simple scissor jacks and the crank arm like what comes with the OEM jack to raise and lower it. You could probably get two of these at a junk yard for free. One for front and rear or left and right side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.