Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

BAK Revolver X2 on 2016 Tundra CM with Rail System

22K views 67 replies 31 participants last post by  Svcustoms 
#1 ·
I purchased a Revolver X2 online from tonneaucovers.com for my 2016 Tundra CM with the factory rail system.

FIT: 9/10

The cover fits great the sides are even & secure & the tailgate portion is perfect. It hard to get it 100% square because you have to roll the cover up after alignment. A second pair of hands would be helpful here.

INSTALLATION: 10/10

The cover is super easy to install. In fact having the factory rail system makes the install even better. Instead of 3 clamps, you replace the rail system with 5 new brackets that hold the cover rails and lower the factory rails. IMHO this is a much more legit install vs. the 3 clamps.

One problem I had, was one of the T30 bolts on the factory rail system was stripped. It took a bolt extractor to remove it.

Install took about 2 hours (with 1 hour spent on that stripped bolt)

USABILITY: 9/10
Super easy to use, but when new and cold the cover doesn't want to roll as tight as it could.

LOOKS: 10/10
Love the look of the vinyl cover, flush mount!

SECURITY: 10/10
Security looks to be very strong, you would have to destroy the cover and even then I'm not sure you would get what you want.

WATERPROOF: Pending
It's only 11F here, I have not a chance to test and really know what level of waterproofing was achieved. Seals look good, coverage looks good.

See less See more
#8 ·
That's a good looking cover. I have been thinking about getting one. When it's rolled up, how far does it stick out from the front bed wall? The reason I ask is I use bicycle mounts in the front deck rail, and I'm wondering if I'd have to find a different setup.

#9 ·
@cmoanz

Hey how's the cover in the rain? I live in the NE and have to deal with rain, snow ice half the year. My Encore has held up well but I'm getting a 2016 tundra crewmax and looking for a new cover since I currently have a double cab.

#14 ·
I am looking at getting this for my new F-150. I've had the G2 and Fibermax and liked them but they have always leaked, at least a little. My coworker just got one for his F-150 I am curious to see if he has any leaks. I think the design in theory should mean less chance for leaks.

#15 ·
Just an FYI it doesn't leak in rain. I've had mine on for almost a month now. Through a power wash it leaked very minimally, not enough to get anything inside of the bed wet, but there was a little water near the tailgate. When you lock your tailgate, there is no way someone is getting in this cover without completely destroying the cover. There is no Velcro and it actually locks all the way down the rail (which most covers do not). I found a place online that sells these for quite a bit less than $800. If you're interested shoot me a pm and I'll send you guys their info. Several others have ordered from them as well. I get no kickbacks or anything else. Actually found them on another forum when I was looking for my cover at the lowest price possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Installed one of these yesterday - here's my pro tip.

Make sure you have the same amount of space at the end of each rail against the tailgate - mine was approximately 1/2" away from the edge. I spent about an hour messing with the cover to get it to roll square and land on the edge of the tailgate but still be able to lock.

Here is a picture

see where the black plastic on the rail is about 1/2" back from the edge of the truck plastic? That was the result of me moving the rail three times, which requires it all to be unscrewed.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

#19 ·
I've only had mine a month but I am happy with it. No cutting or drilling, no real leaks, if you follow my instructions on the post up there the install should be much smoother than I went through.

The only con I have is that it gets SUPER hot in the sun and that its a bit bulky when rolled up against the window for the view behind.

Otherwise i highly recommend!

#23 ·
I have had the BAK Roll X on my truck a little over two years now. I really like the versatility and security that it provides. But, it is wearing out after only two years. All of the foam on the bottom came off and some of the aluminum slates are starting to release from the top cover. I roll open and shut the cover once or twice a week. I think the problem might be that it can't take the heat here in AZ. Friend of mine had the same cover and it did the same thing on his in about a year. So, my search is on far a better cover!!!

#29 ·
Sorry about Hijacking this thread on my experience with the X and X2 with my 2010 Tundra. Guess I should be on a different thread.

#32 ·
I've had an Undercover Flex for about a year now; however, I haven't been very happy with its water resistance. The first one I received leaked quite a bit from the various folding joints, and the replacement I received under warranty has been doing the same thing whenever it rains. I've been thinking about the Revolver X2 for a little while now. Can anyone tell me the place to pick it up for $720 shipped?

#34 ·
The small one in the middle. It doesn't compromise any vision out of the back of your truck when rolled up, and is completely flush when down. You would have to figure out a way to secure it half open, because it would just roll down. It has straps at open and latches when closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
The manual actually states to never drive with it half open. You get used to the view when its full up, its not that bad.

If its full open its usually whatever I am carrying is blocking my view instead.

#54 ·
If you have something a little higher than the cover like say one inch higher, can you lay cover over and still close it? I have used the Bak flip F1 for my previous truck, and if you had something in slightly taller it would lay down just not snap in. Also with the hard cover when folded up to window and loading an ATV in there was about 6-8 inches from front of box that I had to keep the atv back from, would the Revolver be about the same or more? So my question is does the tri-fold open more of your box or less than the Revolver x2. Do you know the hight from box bed to under cover whats the maximum height you can put under cover. My generator is 21.9 inches and want to see if it will fit under cover.

#39 ·
I installed my Revolver X2 today. The installation with a rail system is pretty slick. My previous Undercover Flex made my rail system useless but this is oh so much better. I've included a few pictures if anyone wants to take a close-up look of the installation.

Attachments

#40 ·
Looks good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.