User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michelin LTX MS/2 REVIEW

Here's my initial review after driving it back from having them mounted and balanced.

Road Conditions: Highway is mostly dry with some wet patches. Frontage road has 4 inches of slush.

First off, I got the 265/70/18 that replaced the BFG Rugged Trails at 275/65/18.

The Michelin's end up being noticeably taller and the installer even mentioned it. Definitely fills out the wheel well better. The tread is deeper than what the photos would indicate-deeper than the BFG's with 16K on them, but that's probably due to the "occasional" foot thru the floorboard acceleration. But I've never smoked them...

Handling on the highway was almost too grippy. We have a brand new concrete road with the grooves cut in them and when the groove would turn a bit it felt like the back end would follow it. I'll have to check this out a bit more to know for sure.

Road noise was a bit lower than the BFG's but definitely not night and day. I'm a bit deaf and crank the music anyhow so this wasn't really an important factor for me.

They Michelin's were totally stable thru what puddles of water there was and I couldn't tell any difference between dry and wet.

I turned off the main highway on the frontage road that I regularly drive. The slush was pretty thick but the Michelin's cut right thru it and in 2wd my little nanny light didn't come on until I really gunned it and forced it to.

When that happened there was no lateral movement at all and the tires would catch again when I let up on the pedal. Usually I coast thru the slushy/compacted snow parts, but with these I kept acceleration going and they bit like dobermans on a steak.

I'll get a better test in deeper snow tomorrow as I've got to drive an area that hasn't been plowed lately.

I don't expect these to be as good as dedicated Winter tires that have studs or super deep tread to get thru lots of powder, but in comparison to the BFG's it's no contest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halftondra For This Useful Post:
kdii02 (03-08-2011), RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:27 PM

My regular Michelin LTX M/S lasted 64,000 miles on my Tacoma so i bet the 2's are just as good.

01 GMC Sierra..507 rear wheel reasons you lose...

USN Retired *1987-2007*
IYAOYAS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nukedog For This Useful Post:
RJP12TT (07-13-2012), TundraTigger (09-24-2013)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:44 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukedog View Post
My regular Michelin LTX M/S lasted 64,000 miles on my Tacoma so i bet the 2's are just as good.
It will be interesting to see how long these last...usually I'm pretty easy on tires, but the Tundra makes that a little more difficult

If I get 60K quality miles out of them, I'll be very happy.

I'm really impressed by the packed snow/ice traction that these have. The breaking is vastly superior than the BFG's...feels like literally have the stopping distance and they don't get the horrible ABS chatter that the BFG's exhibited.

The only problem with these tires is that they are so good I'm already driving a little more aggressively than I did with the BFG's-I'm telling myself that I'm just testing them out to see what they can do...
The Following User Says Thank You to halftondra For This Useful Post:
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 PM

In my experience, the LTX/MS series is the best all around use tire on the market. I put them on all my work trucks and get 55k miles from them routinely and they are solid on the highway and perform well in wet/mud/snow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traakon For This Useful Post:
RJP12TT (07-13-2012), sbg (02-19-2013)
#5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:15 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traakon View Post
In my experience, the LTX/MS series is the best all around use tire on the market. I put them on all my work trucks and get 55k miles from them routinely and they are solid on the highway and perform well in wet/mud/snow.

It would be interesting to see what you think of the new MS2's in comparison.

The shop that put them on said they had just put them on some oil and gas field trucks and those guys have to do a lot of highway, dirty, mud and snow miles.

My parking spot should be nice and hard frozen ice this am, so we'll see how it pulls out in 2WD.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM

One quick question, because I'm going tonight after work to probably get the ms2's, are you all riding on LT or P rated tires? The guy I just spoke with at discount tire was suggesting that I get the P rated tires because of the LT's 10 ply side wall creating a harsh ride.
I communte with the truck about every day, but on the weekends I'm either hauling two dirt bikes in the back or loads of stuff from Home Depot.

Thanks,
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleducati View Post
One quick question, because I'm going tonight after work to probably get the ms2's, are you all riding on LT or P rated tires? The guy I just spoke with at discount tire was suggesting that I get the P rated tires because of the LT's 10 ply side wall creating a harsh ride.
I communte with the truck about every day, but on the weekends I'm either hauling two dirt bikes in the back or loads of stuff from Home Depot.

Thanks,
I'm not sure...my guess is that they are LT...I'll check the next time I go outstide....Do you have the TRD shocks?
#8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,173 Times in 668 Posts
Garage
Quote:

Thanks,
I heard too much of that stuff with people trying to dissuade me from getting LT, but my HD trucks have always required LT tires at 70 PSI and I like how they ride so if I can make my Tundra more like that I find that to be a feature. Plus overkill is better than the alternative, right?

Apparently the M/S² tires are P rated, or that's what the owner of a tire shop I visited said when he wanted me to consider them instead of the 10 ply E rated tires. He said the ride would be so bad with the LTs that I'd be FLYING over every bump, but that is SUCH a hyperbole.

In the end, it's not a major difference, but mainly related to how much pressure you fill them up with. I'd think a range of 50-80 PSI for the E-rated LT tires is good, you don't want to underinflate them by too much because again the thicker sidewall doesn't like to bend and if it bends due to low pressure it gets hot and fails.
I don't think harsh is a good term for it. I don't want tires which flex a lot on turns and stuff, and LT tires certainly give you better stability on cornering and such maneuvers which involve a lot of lateral force.

I don't remember how the stock P rated LTX tires felt like, but I do remember how I got stuck very often and fishtailed all over the road with them. Traction outweighs any potential 'ride quality' issues for me.

2011 F-350SD - SRW XLT FX4 CCLB: 6.7L PSD, 6R140, 3.55:1 EL, Job 2 (Daily Driver)
With BDS 6" 4-Link & Rear Leafs, Fox 2.0 IFP, Toyo MT 38x13.50R18 on 18x9 Fuel D525, Bulletproof Prerunner Bumper, EGR/DPF/SCR delete.

1994 RAM 2500 - SLT Laramie 4x4 RCLB 5.9L 6BT NV4500 (Project)
2009 Tundra - SR5 4x2 RCLB 5.7L 4.30:1 (Sold)
Others: 1995 F-350HD DRW 4x2 CCFB 7.3L-T444E PSD // 2004 F-350SD SRW 4x4 CCLB 6.0L-VT365 PSD.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRENT310 For This Useful Post:
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM

thanks for the info guys, i ended up getting LT rated...and a whole different tire, TA KO's because they didn't have the MS2's in the correct size in stock. The MS2's do come in P and LT and the KO's I got were 265/75/16's.
The suspension on my truck is Bilstein coilover's up front with Camburg UCA's and Deaver racing 10 pack leaf springs out back and Bilstien shocks.
The ride home wasn't jarring, like LT's were made out to be...so I guess in time we'll see!
The Following User Says Thank You to seattleducati For This Useful Post:
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:

Thanks,
My tires are P rated and they aren't what I'd call a soft ride. But that might be the TRD shocks doing their thing and the fact that it's below freezing...

I don't have the experience that others do with hauling stuff, so I can't really comment on that.

What I can tell you is that you'll love these if you're in Seattle. I lived up there for about 9 years and these tires are perfect for that environment.

I do agree with Trent310 that safety should be the number 1 consideration. I certainly didn't buy these tires because they look cool or bad ass. I got them so that I can continue to be cool vs. dead....

I had a chance to get into more snow and ice today and they are so superior to the BFG's it's a joke. In fact, I'd love to see these compared to the little snowflake tires because I bet that these would more than stack up.

I haven't been in any super deep stuff yet, but if I'm in 2 feet of snow, I've probably made a mistake! But I bet these would do fine as long as there was some powder for the tread to grip on...
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#11 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
thanks for the info guys, i ended up getting LT rated...and a whole different tire, TA KO's because they didn't have the MS2's in the correct size in stock. The MS2's do come in P and LT and the KO's I got were 265/75/16's.
The suspension on my truck is Bilstein coilover's up front with Camburg UCA's and Deaver racing 10 pack leaf springs out back and Bilstien shocks.
The ride home wasn't jarring, like LT's were made out to be...so I guess in time we'll see!
Well, just ignore the posts then!
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 10:27 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If you didn't get them siped, you should do so- you'll get better traction on the wet...

Seattle (if you're up there) is famous for hydroplaning...and I'm not talking about the boats and blue angels...
#13 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for the info, I'm actually in Austin now! I grew up in Seattle and moved down here when I was 27-28. Down here the roads are like ice skating rinks when they get wet, which is happening right now. Tonight we're supposed to get a cold front, which will dump the temp to 29, with high winds, hail and rain so this ought to be a good test. On my commute to work the tires felt way more sure footed when coming to a stop, although with 30psi on them I feel like they have too much rolling resistance, so I may bump them up to 35-40 this weekend.
Also, for those of you who ride but don't live here in TX, the places to ride out here are way different then up north. Up in Seattle we'd head out to the Cascades and ride on Govt. land (for free) or up on logging roads. Down here you head to someone's ranch, pay them, then off road it to where you want to unload your bikes. So in a week or two I should have some good practice with the new tires offroading.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
7k Mile Update

So after having these for a good part of the Winter, thru the Spring showers and now into the afternoon Monsoon season, I can say that these are a huge improvement over the stock Rugged Trails.

They haven't worn at all from what I can tell and the tread is even all the way around.

Traction on the wet and dry is so close it's scary. Anything at 40 mph and lower will not lock up or skid with "oh sh*t" braking.

In the snow that we had, it was no problem at all even when the temps got low and it was a bit icy. I don't expect to have much traction when it gets that slick, but these were so much better than the BFG's it's a joke.

They don't seem to track on the grooved pavement when I first drove them back from being installed. Not sure if I just don't notice it anymore or it's changed for some other reason. I think it more the latter because I'm sure I'd still feel it grabbing if it were.

I can't think a dedicated Summer tire would offer much better performance and I'd only get a dedicated Winter tire if I was going to put studs in it or be driving thru really deep stuff on a regular basis.

Really a great tire with probably 50K miles left on them....
RJP12TT (07-13-2012)
#15 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM

(Thread Starter)
12K mile update

So far so good...Our Winter wasn't as bad as last year's so I wasn't on bad stuff for as much of it...When I was on it, they are working as good as I'd expect an M&S tire to on a pick up truck...WAAAAAAY better than the the stock BFG's, so they were well worth it.

I did notice that my rubber is a lot harder than it is on cars that have the Winter tires, like Blizzak and I'm sure that makes some difference...

The tires haven't hardly worn at all-It's scary how little they've worn, so I'm confident I'll get 50K out of these easily....

Very happy with these and will get the same tires again if I've still got the truck in three years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halftondra For This Useful Post:
harvick29 (04-02-2012), RJP12TT (07-13-2012)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Product Reviews > Tire Reviews