How do you find someone by their Tag number? - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How do you find someone by their Tag number?

Some idiot clipped my truck today while driving down the Interstate. I have his tag number and called the police. They told me to pull over and wait for an officer to arrive. I waited and no one showed up so I left. Now I want to find this jerk and take care of it myself. I've searched all over the internet and the only thing I'm finding are pay sites that look a bit shady. Any ideas?

Last edited by Moto Evolution; 06-26-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:30 PM

you need access to the BMV records. Best bet is to go to the Police station and file the complaint in person. theyll get him for hit and run. If you pay one of those sites and try to take care of it yourself it might not go so well. A police report and the other guy getting charged with hit and run will make it easier for the damage to be fixed. My aunt had someone hit her on the road and it was taking care within a month by filing the report, and having the tag number made it ten times faster.
Good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to todd For This Useful Post:
SP (07-01-2010), Walkfuu (06-26-2010)
#3 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 18,119 Times in 7,039 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
You need to go to the police station and file a report.

They may not issue any kind of tickets like hit and run or anything because it is your word against his. You can sue him in small claims court after they get his name.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
#4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
Premium Member

^^What they said. But if on the hit & run. There was paint transfer or something of that nature. That's an open & shut case. DEFINITELY FILE THE REPORT LIKE YESTERDAY!
#5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,299 Times in 724 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Police report . . . Do it, you'll be thankful in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tundra View Post
Nice truck Bri- looks lifted like Sams
2012 Black 5.7 CrewMax 4x4

BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #48
#6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

lastly, never stop. Go after them when they hit you. Unless you are worried about getting shot. i will and have continued until i have caught up to them. I knew it was some punk ass kid so i wasnt worried about getting shot or anything like that. Hit and Runs are pretty minor for most departments and simply are not a priority.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,824 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
File the police report. Eventually, you'll find out who the guy is....then, after his insurance company cuts you a check, you can have your vengeance It's like having your cake and eating it too...or something like that
#8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Thanked 5,128 Times in 2,240 Posts
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Police report and then insurance. When I got rear ended in a prior truck the po-po showed up and did a report. Of course I'm the one that got hit, but the other driver was a not bad looking 16 yr old female who shed a tear or two. He ignored the fact that she had NONE of her info and told her to turn it into him in 20 days. Neither her nor her parents did, when I called the cop and asked why nothing was happening he kind of blew me off and said he was handling it, don't worry about it. While I'm sitting at home with bent shocks, bent frame, twisted bumper.

I ended up simply giving the tag number to my ins co. They handled my claim and tracked her down using the tag to get reimbursed. And if the deductible is a worry, a good bodyshop can always square you away.

Otherwise what you want can be done but requires using databases the general public normally doesn't have access to. If there's some way you could swing access to certain restricted but non-government databases, SOME states, but not all of them, will have vehicle registration in there.

Last edited by eharri3; 07-07-2010 at 03:32 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM

Go to a notary public or a third party title transfer company. In texas you can receive a printout of a vehicle with the license plate number. The information includes what type of vehicle and the name and address of the registered owner. And like they said, next time don't stop.

08 CrewMax SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
---------
Mostly stock except:
Kenwood DNX 5140
1 10" ProBox Sub with 600 Watt Jackhammer Amp
10k HID's on Headlamps
8k HID's on Fog Lights
#10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 PM

Plus the insurance company has to get their money from your claim from somebody. With the license plate number, they will know who to go after. When I was 17, I rear ended some old guy in his f150. I tore his rear end (of the vehicle) up. Tailgate, rear bumper, left bed panel, and last but definitely not least, the all important frame. I was in a 98 Chev 1500. I had the vehicle insured, but I wasn't an insured driver yet. Therefore, his vehicle was repaired and the $2000 repair bill was forwarded to a collection agency which I had to take care of in order to avoid license suspension.

08 CrewMax SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
---------
Mostly stock except:
Kenwood DNX 5140
1 10" ProBox Sub with 600 Watt Jackhammer Amp
10k HID's on Headlamps
8k HID's on Fog Lights
#11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanked 5,128 Times in 2,240 Posts
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
As for the stuff about pursuing, different strokes for different folks I guess. Just don't get the tunnel vision and focus on the one guy. Be aware of your surroundings, what's going on around you, how populated the area is, how fas that person is fleeing, etc... I honestly don't think it should ever be done, and I myself have only kept up with a vehicle long enough to clearly see the tag before backing off.

If you feel you must, be prepared to exercise the same type of judgement a law enforcement officer would in such a situation. To remain continually aware of changing circumstances as you pursue, to back off if the other guy turns out not to be as much of a pushover as you thought, and to face consequencies if while chasing someone down over a dent in your fender you cause a worse accident.

I guess people will make whatever choices they will make but personally, this is why I have full coverage on my vehicles. Not my problem anymore, let the insurance company sort it out.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion