Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Toyota recalls 79000 Tundras (Rear Bumper)

31K views 184 replies 44 participants last post by  MrBugs 
#1 ·
#2 ·
What steps are they talking about?

#4 ·
Well shit. I noticed they were plastic and was happy they wouldn't rust.

Reactions: Trailmoose
#6 ·
I ended up getting caught up in this recall today - I was supposed to take delivery of my new Tundra (2017 Limited Inferno CrewMax) today at 5 PM; the salesman called me at a little after 3 when the recall announcement came out to tell me they couldn't take my money until they did the recall :banghead:

He had no idea yet when parts would be available however. He's supposed to give me a call tomorrow - hopefully the steel brackets are being shipped out to dealers ASAP for the fix!

#7 ·
I ended up getting caught up in this recall today - I was supposed to take delivery of my new Tundra (2017 Limited Inferno CrewMax) today at 5 PM; the salesman called me at a little after 3 when the recall announcement came out to tell me they couldn't take my money until they did the recall

He had no idea yet when parts would be available however. He's supposed to give me a call tomorrow - hopefully the steel brackets are being shipped out to dealers ASAP for the fix!
Tell him you won't back into anything solid.

#12 ·
On my truck it is the under-frame that the end caps attach to. It is plastic.

I believe #9 by looking at that pic.

#18 ·
Diagram doesn't look anything like what I just worked on

I just took apart my three piece rear bumper to bed line the exterior and put some LED light inserts in cutouts I made. The ONLY plastic part I found was the cap that snaps onto the top of the steel bumper ends. The reinforcement behind it is also solid steel, so I'm not sure what they're recalling. My bumper feels solid and that diagram doesn't look like what I just worked on. The middle piece is plastic but it is basically a space filler and it even has steel behind it; ie-the class IV hitch. I'm confused; that's nothing new but, I don't see this on my truck. It's a 2016 Crewmax, did I miss something?

#19 ·
I just took apart my three piece rear bumper to bed line the exterior and put some LED light inserts in cutouts I made. The ONLY plastic part I found was the cap that snaps onto the top of the steel bumper ends. The reinforcement behind it is also solid steel, so I'm not sure what they're recalling. My bumper feels solid and that diagram doesn't look like what I just worked on. The middle piece is plastic but it is basically a space filler and it even has steel behind it; ie-the class IV hitch. I'm confused; that's nothing new but, I don't see this on my truck. It's a 2016 Crewmax, did I miss something?

Does your truck have a chrome or color keyed bumper, or have the rear parking sensors? I'm wondering if it is something to do with less metal on the parking sensor equipped trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
the hype 31, After looking at the diagram again, I think you're onto something there. It appears that the bumpers with the sensors, which mine DOES NOT have are the target for recall. It looks like the piece covering the bumper and/or the bumper segment itself maybe the culprit. Because, I know after sanding my bumper ends and reinforcement brackets that I can assure everyone they're steel. Good call

I think this recall will be only for those with parking sensors, which I neither have nor want.

#21 ·
Ok that makes a lot of sense to me. The next natural question is how will replacing plastic with metal affect operation of the parking sensors? I'm not sure where the actual sensors are with respect to what they are replacing, but even if it is behind the embedded antennas for the sensors it could affect the strength of the received signal from multiple directions, which could throw the calibration of the system out of whack....

Bummer. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer still- I was supposed to pick up my new truck Tuesday when this was announced but have to wait for the fix to be available. Either way, we're going to have some issues if I'm paying for something (the parking sensors) and they no longer work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Just spoke to a Toyota tech at my dealer and he said it was the #9 part. It holds the color coded exterior trim bumper and the step cap, which are composite too.. Must be that support piece under the the exterior parts.. He did mention the chrome bumpers have solid brackets as in the earlier models ..The dealers are just now getting info on the recall and are deciding how to resolve the issue with corporate. I guess he has little info on the recall. So I was told. I'm sure the designers trying to figure this out.. Any Toyota techs on here can shed some light or confirm this?
I don't have sensors so I didn't think to ask about that and how they would be effected.
....Below is the two rear bumper diagrams from 16/17 and 14/15 models. Some difference between the two..

Attachments

#28 ·
We're still waiting for parts to be sent to the dealer. We have about a dozen that are stop sale now. Here is the description.

Condition
The involved vehicles are equipped with resin rear step bumpers and reinforcement brackets at each corner. In the event of an impact to the corner of the bumper, the resin bracket may become damaged but not be noticed. If a person steps on the corner of the bumper that is damaged, a portion of it may break away, increasing the risk of injury.
Covered Vehicles
There are approximately 73,000 vehicles covered by this Safety Recall. Approximately 200 vehicles involved in this Safety Recall were distributed to Puerto Rico.
Model Name
Model Year
Production Period
Tundra
2016 and 2017
Late July, 2015 – Late December, 2016

#33 ·
Thanks for the heads-up. I put the VIN for my 2016 Platinum in at this site and it confirmed the recall applies to my Tundra:
Lookup Safety Recalls & Service Campaigns by VIN

As I'm approaching 20K miles, I'll probably wait a few months to get the work done when I drop it off for my last free Toyota oil change (prior to 25K miles).

#42 ·
sub'd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.