Michigan Union demonstration embarass's me - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Michigan Union demonstration embarass's me

Thats sure is F'd up whats going on in Mich. Makes me ashamed to be a member of the USW. My union is weak compared to the main USW and UAW. Unions have drained most states dry and now Obama jumps on the band wagon again Guess the FC isn't that important!

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Obama characterizes "Right to Work" as "Right to work for less money"? Really? Well, yeah, perhaps. When the options are:

(1) right to work for wages that cannot be supported by the marketplace
(2) right to work for wages that are less than (1) and can be supported by the marketplace

well, then, yeah, it is the right to work for less money. It is also the right to work for a company that won't require a government bailout when its unsustainable payroll finally catches up with it.

2010 5.7L SR5 TRD 4x4 DC ==
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,220 Times in 491 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Hostess! Enough said!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lkn4trouble For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-11-2012), YoungGuns (12-11-2012)
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn4trouble View Post
hostess! Enough said!
jackpot!!

Black Tundra Club Member #178
2012 5.7 DC Black on Black SR5-tow-off road.
N-fab Step Bars
N-fab Light Bar
V Series A.R.E cap with Yakima roof rack
Yakima MegaWarrior with extension
AIP Failure on 12/30/12
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
Aren't most of the rest of the states in the U.S. "right to work" states?

What's the problem? I've always worked in "right to work" states, never been in a union, and have never had a problem keeping employment and feeding my family...wtf are unions for again? To ensure that someone gets paid $50/hr to turn a knob, take a 15 minute break every hour, and get drunk and high on their lunch breaks, while the rest of us make half that, must remain competitive, and actually have to use our brains at work? I'm confused....

My favorite part...teachers calling in sick, en masse, so they can participate in a demonstration...that's real grown-up like you douchebags...punish the kids so you can act like a child and bitch and moan about.....NOTHING.
I believe that there are 24 Right to Work states.

None of the New England states are Right to Work states.

I think I heard that the average GM employee makes about $75/hr. Wow.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 16,494 Times in 6,898 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
It all sounds so horrible unless you are a member of the union.

Carpet dayum

post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Belly View Post
It all sounds so horrible unless you are a member of the union.
Yes, it is GREAT to be *in* the union, right up until your union's demands drive your company out of business. If you happen to work somewhere that is "too big to fail", then maybe you are still OK. Otherwise, you're S.O.L.

If I could force my boss to triple my pay, I'd be sitting pretty, right up until they closed their doors.

They pay me competitively. If they didn't, I'd move on, and they know that. Everything is kept naturally in balance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Onceler For This Useful Post:
Big Shasta (12-11-2012), Mwaddi92 (12-11-2012)
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Thanked 1,006 Times in 467 Posts
i have been a union member for 12yrs. unfortunately, i follow the sheep and pay my dues but i never cared for it. the shitbags on the job are always protected and the good people suffer. it is a very corrupt system in my line of work but they put on one hell of show to convince you otherwise.

pimped to perfection!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chode For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-11-2012), Rockporter (12-12-2012)
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
How does it work if you don't pay dues? I assume that you wouldn't be "in the union", and I assume your co-workers would hate you? Would you be able to work with some ethic and initiative, and make more pay than the union folks? Management aren't in unions, right? Do management give preference to non-union folks, and are they easier to please with your hard work? Just curious.

Some of the companies that I work with are unions...and when I work with those people, they are absolutely sorry. They will clock out in the middle of a clusterf*ck, because it is their break time, or quittin time, whereas we will stay until the job is finished.
That's the point of Right to Work. It might be more apt to instead use the phrase "Right to Work but not Have to Belong to the Union". In states like MA, if it is a union shop, you either join the union, or you find another job.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,220 Times in 491 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I worked a couple of years in a union print shop, IT SUCKED! we milked jobs just because we knew if we got done before our shift was over they'd send us all home with no pay.

When the break bell sounded you had best jump, if not you have a supervisor up your ass screaming at you.

when there was no work for our press we got sent home, even though other parts of the plant needed help and was behind it was against union policy to work in ANY other part of the plant.

I once made the mistake of picking up a broom to clean up a mess I made. Again I only made that mistake once because a HUGE black man named Tiny told me that if I touch another broom he was going to break all my fingers and that it was HIS job to sweep that mess up.

It was like working for Al Capone!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
The Following User Says Thank You to lkn4trouble For This Useful Post:
Mwaddi92 (12-11-2012)
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn4trouble View Post
Hostess! Enough said!
I'm not a huge fan of unions, but if anyone actually looked at the last 10 year's of hostess, they would see the concessions the union made, along with the money pulled out of the company by the investment firms that owned it. Even its most recent ceo said that its failure was caused by bad management not the unions.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2012 DC RW 3" RC front, BHLM, PC beadlocks, NFAB Steps
Magnetic Grey Club #18
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,537 Times in 5,243 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Right-to-work laws do not provide a general guarantee of employment to people seeking work. The laws are a government regulation of the contractual agreements between employers and labor unions that prevents them from excluding non-union workers. That's one of the reasons Toyota has stated they don't want to hire UAW members. Toyota pays better and has better benefits than the Union requires for new employees. If you work at the Toyota plant and your kid is sick, you don't have to take off work and try to get a doctor's appointment. You just take your kid to work and they have medical staff at the plant who will see your kid the same day. The UAW has tried to recruit Toyota workers. Toyota employees refuse to join the UAW.

A friend is an electrician and non-Union. Around DFW, the Electrician's Union is very small. But in Houston, it's huge. If the Union finds out there are non-Union guys working in town, they will literally run them out of town. Some state-wide companies hire electricians from out of town (contracts to work all over the state). When working in Houston, they have to take unmarked vehicles and work at night with windows covered so that nobody reports them and a bunch of Union thugs show up.

He's also been hired by a company up in Boston several times. The Union there requires 2 local Union guys for every out of state non-union guy on the job. The Union guys there milk the job like crazy. My friend got in trouble for working too hard and for not taking 15 minute breaks every hour. They were required to take breaks in a small portable building and everyone smoked in there. He'd rather keep on working and get the job done. He said they were putting up large conduit in the ceiling of a 20 foot building. It all had to go up as one piece. They took 45 minutes to get it up. They were 2 minutes away from getting it secured when the break horn sounded. So they brought all of it back down because they weren't allowed to leave it up unsecured and they weren't allowed to work during the break. There were also licensed Journeymen who didn't know what simple electrical parts were. The company owner wishes he could hire all out of state non-union electricians and pay them the same wages that the Union guys make. One out of state guy works harder than 3 Union electricians in his company.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2015 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Sad...Just sad.

I guess we can expect the 'Occupy' losers to be bussed into Lansing next. Booze and drugs to be supplied by the UAW, of course (unless they used it all up on their lunch breaks).

'I like my women a little on the trashy side" - Georgia Satellites.

The Following User Says Thank You to Aqualung For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-11-2012)
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Thanked 1,075 Times in 447 Posts
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcb View Post
I'm not a huge fan of unions, but if anyone actually looked at the last 10 year's of hostess, they would see the concessions the union made, along with the money pulled out of the company by the investment firms that owned it. Even its most recent ceo said that its failure was caused by bad management not the unions.

I'd say you're somewhat correct that mismanagement played its part, but there are many examples with Hostess that illustrate the asinine work rules that unions saddle their companies with. Drivers were not allowed to load their own trucks, and work requirements dictated that one union shop loaded cakes and another loaded "breads". All in the same truck. Upon delivery, many locations required a separate employee to move product from truck to shelf. Utterly foolish regardless of one's view of unions.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 19,711 Times in 7,955 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcb View Post

Conecessions like

a loaf of bread that is going to a store can't be on the same truck as a package of twinkies that are going to the same store? A separate truck has to be sent?

The driver of the truck has to have a swamper to stock the shelf. He sits on his butt while the other guy stocks the shelf?

Those kind of concessions?

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.