Michigan Union demonstration embarass's me - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,006 Times in 467 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
How does it work if you don't pay dues? I assume that you wouldn't be "in the union", and I assume your co-workers would hate you? Would you be able to work with some ethic and initiative, and make more pay than the union folks? Management aren't in unions, right? Do management give preference to non-union folks, and are they easier to please with your hard work? Just curious.

Some of the companies that I work with are unions...and when I work with those people, they are absolutely sorry. They will clock out in the middle of a clusterf*ck, because it is their break time, or quittin time, whereas we will stay until the job is finished.
exactly! not one individual (laborer) that i am aware of is non-union with the exception of upper management like you said. my guess is that you would be outcasted by the union leadership and followers would agree. upper management is a tight network and although they would most likely favor your decision, they would leave you in the dark. so it is a double edge sword.
don't get me wrong, i love my job with a passion but i am disgusted with b.s. politics, favoritism, and constant protection for people that could care less if they give a little or a lot. i think the "union" system should be revamped and restart itself what it was originally intended to be.

pimped to perfection!

Last edited by chode; 12-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
Conecessions like

a loaf of bread that is going to a store can't be on the same truck as a package of twinkies that are going to the same store? A separate truck has to be sent?

The driver of the truck has to have a swamper to stock the shelf. He sits on his butt while the other guy stocks the shelf?

Those kind of concessions?
The kind that reduced their labor cost by $110 million a year.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2012 DC RW 3" RC front, BHLM, PC beadlocks, NFAB Steps
Magnetic Grey Club #18
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Thanked 5,465 Times in 2,464 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
I have never been a union member and am currently in a non-union shop. The union in the job I used to work in was a govt. eployee union that technically had to represent everybody although it was illegal to force everyone to pay dues. They tended to grieve dumb shit that really shouldn't matter just to make a point, and entertained alot of stupid grievances from people who enjoy stirring the pot for no good reason.

We once had a copier delivered by a trucking company and had to pull it off the truck on a cart ourselves and take it up on the freight elevator. The Teamster behind the wheel of the truck said it is his job to drive, not to lift stuff. I looked at him as we were wheeling the thing off the truck and onto the freight elevator and said my job is not to lift heavy stuff either, but Oh well, here I am...

I can see both sides of the issue. On one side, people should have a right to decide whether they want to be a member or not. The other side of the argument is usually that the whole workforce benefits from contracts, pay, and work conditions negotiated by the Union. If some people opt out of paying dues they will basically be reaping alot of the benefits of Union negotiations for free. I am honestly not sure how you handle that. Union employees go by a Union contract and non-union employees negotiate for different terms? I would imagine that could turn into a real mess.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 12-11-2012 at 06:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
chode (12-11-2012)
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,220 Times in 491 Posts
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamjcb View Post
I'm not a huge fan of unions, but if anyone actually looked at the last 10 year's of hostess, they would see the concessions the union made, along with the money pulled out of the company by the investment firms that owned it. Even its most recent ceo said that its failure was caused by bad management not the unions.

Others in this thread have you, So there's really no need for me to bust your balls on your inaccurate information!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn4trouble View Post
Others in this thread have you, So there's really no need for me to bust your balls on your inaccurate information!
So your one of those guys that think it can all be pointed to one thing, rather than a combination of multiple issues from labor, mangement, ownership and the fact that most people buy generic products that taste the same.
But if you like to think that everything is so simple and running around saying people got "owned" like a 13 year old boy on his Xbox, go for it. It shows intelligence.

Magnetic Grey Club #18
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamjcb For This Useful Post:
tundrakountry (12-11-2012)
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
What is xbox? Atari...FTW
A chick I used to bang.

Magnetic Grey Club #18
The Following User Says Thank You to Iamjcb For This Useful Post:
tundrakountry (12-11-2012)
post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 34,642 Times in 15,253 Posts
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Lol

I hate being bipolar ....... It's awesome!
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,210 Times in 635 Posts
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Sad...Just sad.

I guess we can expect the 'Occupy' losers to be bussed into Lansing next. Booze and drugs to be supplied by the UAW, of course (unless they used it all up on their lunch breaks).
Speaking of that... how do "employees" like that get jobs back? Oh, my I can't wait to buy my next non-union Merican made vehicle. Gonna send a picture of it to the UAW with me kneeling next to it with a double one finger salute.

2008 SR5 DC 5.7 MB Chaos rims, Firestone Bags, ARE Cap, AFE CAI, Borla Cat-Back, various other dangly bits and pieces. Retired USAF.
post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
So your one of those guys that think it can all be pointed to one thing, rather than a combination of multiple issues from labor, mangement, ownership and the fact that most people buy generic products that taste the same.
But if you like to think that everything is so simple and running around saying people got "owned" like a 13 year old boy on his Xbox, go for it. It shows intelligence.

LOL! Management screwed the pooch by signing contracts that they knew weren't manageable in the long term. And I won't even go into how upper managements salary was a dollar.....how did the liberal rags report that, Something like "They had the gall to ask for a bonus" NO, it was their paycheck that was based on performance.

However your belittling me distraction tactic was cute

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkn4trouble View Post
LOL! Management screwed the pooch by signing contracts that they knew weren't manageable in the long term. And I won't even go into how upper managements salary was a dollar.....how did the liberal rags report that, Something like "They had the gall to ask for a bonus" NO, it was their paycheck that was based on performance.

However your belittling me distraction tactic was cute
Yes, I was the one that started the belittling. Paycheck based on performance? The company is getting liquidated, and that is bonus worthy performance?

Magnetic Grey Club #18
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Garage
I know unions used to have their place, such as securing workers rights, but over the years they turned into self-serving, corupt organizations. I used to be a Teamster and couldn't wait to get out. Lazy-ass workers got paid the same as everyone else. Couldn't get rid of the SOBs. I was forced to pay dues, which helped fund the very politicians I can't stand. When negotiations don't go their way, union thugs will physically intimidate management like schoolyard bullies. To hell with them all!

2013 Tundra, 5.7L V8, 4x4, DC, OME 612, 1.5" blocks,
Firestone Air Bags, Line-X, 275/70/18 DuraTracs, Vision #375 wheels,
TonnoPro Hard Fold, Iron Cross HD Steps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nwtundra For This Useful Post:
chode (12-12-2012), EVOL ARDNUT (12-12-2012)
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 PM
"Seahawks Hater"
Premium Member

Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,375 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
that john Denver is really full of $hit
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yes, I was the one that started the belittling. Paycheck based on performance? The company is getting liquidated, and that is bonus worthy performance?

You're just not going to except the fact that the reason 18k people are unemployed is of their own stupidity. When your told, "report to work by 5 pm Thursday or have no job" you think about that and your family, instead they let the union boss roll the dice and he lost. But don't fret, he drove home in his big new shiny car, ate a big meal and slept like a baby knowing he'll still get his 6 figure income!

Now ALL of us that work for a living have to support them!

I do appreciate the laughs though

The Following User Says Thank You to lkn4trouble For This Useful Post:
Big Shasta (12-12-2012)
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 PM

No, I'm not going to accept the fact that there is only one cause. Plenty of blame to go around.

Magnetic Grey Club #18
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanked 10,872 Times in 2,943 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
I do not support organizations that support this:

Chrysler Workers Drinking: Fired Employees Reinstated At Jefferson North Plant In Detroit

I believe in being able to fire people at will when they screw up this bad. Nobody needs protection when you do this during lunch.

-Steve
2015 Ram 2500 Longhorn Crew Cab, RetraxOne, Duraflap Mud Flaps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dim Sum For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-11-2012), EVOL ARDNUT (12-12-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.