Help a bro decide on a AR-15 - Page 5 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#61 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can get a Colt 6920 for way less than $1300. See if your Wal Mart carries them.

Grant is out of stock right now, but he gets them in regularly, and here's his price. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ction&key=6920

He's sold out of the BCM too, but here's his price http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...key=M4-650-111

Just giving you an idea of what real prices are.

Last edited by KCBRUIN; 12-01-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:46 PM

Thanked 1,572 Times in 705 Posts
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, that's the price I was looking at on the manufacturers' websites.

As for links to kits, you basically have to go through and order the parts individually from what I'm gathering. Bit of a PITA, but I'm sure that's how they sell rifles as opposed to specific parts to build up a rifle.

Own: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S, 01 Forester
Owned: 01 Suzuki Volusia, 92 Isuzu pickup, 96 Grand Cherokee, 97 Camry, 04 Intrepid, 01 Dakota, 05 Toyota Tundra
#63 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM

DSG is sold out of Colt too, but you can back order and reserve the price if I'm reading it right, and their price is hard to beat.

Colt Model 6920 M4 Carbine w/ 16" Barrel and Rogers Super Stock

You can buy stripped lowers, lower parts kits, stripped uppers, gas tubes, barrels, BCG's, all separate to build a rifle from scratch, but you will need a vise, and special tools to assemble it.
#64 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,186 Times in 5,018 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
An M4 is military issue. If it doesn't have selectable fire 3 round burst and have a 14.5" barrel, it's not an M4. It's an AR-15, which is an M-15 clone.

Have a look at the Armalite LEC15A4CBK. It's their law enforcement model M-15.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#65 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 32,566 Times in 14,080 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBRUIN View Post
DSG is sold out of Colt too, but you can back order and reserve the price if I'm reading it right, and their price is hard to beat.

Colt Model 6920 M4 Carbine w/ 16" Barrel and Rogers Super Stock

You can buy stripped lowers, lower parts kits, stripped uppers, gas tubes, barrels, BCG's, all separate to build a rifle from scratch, but you will need a vise, and special tools to assemble it.
that hand guard and carry handle have to go!
#66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
An M4 is military issue. If it doesn't have selectable fire 3 round burst and have a 14.5" barrel, it's not an M4. It's an AR-15, which is an M-15 clone.

Have a look at the Armalite LEC15A4CBK. It's their law enforcement model M-15.
Semantics. Plenty of companies have adopted the M4 nomenclature for 14.5" AR-15's with a carbine gas system including Colt where they stamp M4 on the lower receiver. Colt holds the trademark to AR-15 so if you want to get technical only Colts are AR-15s anymore.

So I'm using M4 to refer to the civilian version of the military issue weapon that is only missing the select fire trigger group which is becoming more and more commonplace.

Last edited by KCBRUIN; 12-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
#67 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 PM

Thanked 1,572 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Semantics. Plenty of companies have adopted the M4 nomenclature for 14.5" AR-15's with a carbine gas system including Colt where they stamp M4 on the lower receiver. Colt holds the trademark to AR-15 so if you want to get technical only Colts are AR-15s anymore.

So I'm using M4 to refer to the civilian version of the military issue weapon that is only missing the select fire trigger group which is becoming more and more commonplace.
This. That's like saying you didn't use a Q-Tip because it wasn't name brand, or you don't put ketchup on your burgers because it's not made by Heinz.

Own: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S, 01 Forester
Owned: 01 Suzuki Volusia, 92 Isuzu pickup, 96 Grand Cherokee, 97 Camry, 04 Intrepid, 01 Dakota, 05 Toyota Tundra
#68 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

I wasn't directing the comment towards you, I was just stating that for those who didn't know. I don't care what you call it cause I know what you are talking about either way. It's like saying you are looking to buy a Toyota 1500 size truck. I know what you mean, but it's the wrong terminology. Same with saying you are looking for an M4 with a 16" barrel. A 16" barrel doesn't come on an M4, it comes on an AR-15, but I know what you mean. Some guys will scoff at the incorrect terminology so I was just informing everyone before they buy one and try to show it off to the wrong person.

On a side note, I plan to eventually build an AR pistol. Would make a nice weapon to carry in the vehicle while at the ranch.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
#69 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Got ya. I'm looking to build an 11.5" SBR with a 10" rail as my next AR. Need to measure the center console and see if a collapsed lower, and an 11.5" upper taken apart would fit. Then I could build one of those glock hidden compartments I've seen on here but with an sbr in it.
#70 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Got ya. I'm looking to build an 11.5" SBR with a 10" rail as my next AR. Need to measure the center console and see if a collapsed lower, and an 11.5" upper taken apart would fit. Then I could build one of those glock hidden compartments I've seen on here but with an sbr in it.
What about a Sig 556 SBR? they have a folding stock and if you get an older one it not only folds but collapses too.
#71 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 PM

Our issued P220s have soured me on the brand, but not a bad idea tho!
#72 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Our issued P220s have soured me on the brand, but not a bad idea tho!
Check out Rock River they have pistol AR's with pistons so they don't have the tube in the butstock and can do a folder with them. I was at the Gun Show in Fort Walton, Florida today and saw an FAL pistol in 308. that would have more power and wouldn't have the $200 tax stamp or the 6 month background check.
#73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,831 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
I'm not a brand junky, nor do I know anything about AR15's. Is Stag any good? Read a few reviews said it was good.

I recently bought one, model 1. New I think they are around $900-950. It came with a gazillion rounds of ammo, and some other crap. Haven't taken it to the range to zero it and test it yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. I removed the handle and put a riser on for my red dot, and will get a flip up rear sight soon. I'm not an optic freak, I'm old fasion, cuz i know what has always worked for me in the past. I can hit 40/40 with an M16A2 and M4 on an army qualifying range, which include (3) 300m targets, so the carry handle with the sight is more natural to me, but I figured I'll give this optic crap a try and see how it goes. If I don't shoot as good with the pretty dots, I'm going back to old fashion reliability. Doesn't matter how cool the thing looks, just matters if it will be effective when it counts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Remmy700P (12-04-2012)
#74 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
In Texas, the SBR falls under NFA rules. But without a buttstock, it's considered a pistol. No $200 federal stamp, no LEO sign-off, none of that. That's why I want to build it as a pistol instead of a SBR.

My next AR build will be a suppressed subsonic .300 blackout. That does fall under NFA rules. It will be my new pig gun. The AR pistol will be after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad's Tundra View Post
I'm not a brand junky, nor do I know anything about AR15's. Is Stag any good? Read a few reviews said it was good.

I recently bought one, model 1. New I think they are around $900-950. It came with a gazillion rounds of ammo, and some other crap. Haven't taken it to the range to zero it and test it yet, but I'm sure it will be fine. I removed the handle and put a riser on for my red dot, and will get a flip up rear sight soon. I'm not an optic freak, I'm old fasion, cuz i know what has always worked for me in the past. I can hit 40/40 with an M16A2 and M4 on an army qualifying range, which include (3) 300m targets, so the carry handle with the sight is more natural to me, but I figured I'll give this optic crap a try and see how it goes. If I don't shoot as good with the pretty dots, I'm going back to old fashion reliability. Doesn't matter how cool the thing looks, just matters if it will be effective when it counts.
I've never heard bad stuff about Stag Arms. Never owned one myself. If you go red dot sights, skip the cheap stuff, you get what you pay for. The Eotech red dots are AWESOME. No need to line up the sights. You can be off to the side and still hit the target dead center. Once sighted in, as long as you can see the red dot and the red dot is on the target, fire away. The Eotech hologram red dots are expensive, but they are one of the best red dot sights available.

Quote:
#75 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 AM

Stag makes a lot of parts for other companies so it should be good for the most part. That red dot won't do much good at 300m, but at close range you should be a lot faster.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.