Proudly churning out graduates with worthless skill-sets since 1995 - Page 8 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
#106 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,502
Thanks: 52
Thanked 5,119 Times in 2,233 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I was a History Major but I had a few gaps in my schedule that I needed to throw some courses in to meet extra liberal arts requirements on top of what I needed for my major. I took a couple American Studies classes. One was literally titled The Study of Food. Not the history of food. Not the chemical composition of food. Just the study of food in American culture. We would spend an hour a day, 5 days a week, talking about food in modern culture. My homework assignments involved writing about food. On the one hand it was nice to throw in a cream puff class to pad the GPA since some of the more serious history classes were very difficult. They involved 50 page-plus term papers on obscure subjects that required extensive research, and which ended up getting picked apart with a fine toothed comb. On the other hand I knew it was one of silliest waste of time I have ever taken part of. Both the class and the program area seemed like made-up BS, a dumping ground for people who didn't want to take challenging classes or be made to focus on a major that required too much effort. I had a full scholarship so it was not on my dime. But I would have been pissed if I paid tuition and I knew some of it was used so some 50 year old hippie with no practical skills or useful knowledge could have a job teaching college level courses about his personal whims.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 11-28-2012 at 02:58 PM.
eharri3 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-28-2012), Rockporter (11-29-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Junior Member
 
Dobbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 27
Thanks: 7
Thanked 52 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On a lighter note,

Once the US reaches the hits the tipping point and goes into crisis mode (like Greece) and none of us have jobs. At least the parasitic flesh bags will die off first. Then maybe we can start over with a clean slate and have a country focused on the principles, practices and ideals that made the US number 1 for so long.

And no more skinny jeans, I ****ing hate skinny jeans....Unless shes in shape
Dobbers is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dobbers For This Useful Post:
AnywhereInTX (11-28-2012), Bad Dad's Camrys (11-28-2012), Johnny 5 (11-29-2012), lkn4trouble (11-28-2012), Rockporter (11-29-2012)
#108 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,823 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
^^^^I like this guy. And you are right, the pu$$ies will be the first to disappear, because they've never learned to fend for themselves, been on a tit their whole lives...whether it be on mommy's tit, or on the tax dollars THAT I GIVE THEM.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Dobbers (11-28-2012), Johnny 5 (11-29-2012), lkn4trouble (11-28-2012), Rockporter (11-29-2012)
#109 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
lkn4trouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 536
Thanks: 478
Thanked 1,093 Times in 414 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbers View Post
On a lighter note,

Once the US reaches the hits the tipping point and goes into crisis mode (like Greece) and none of us have jobs. At least the parasitic flesh bags will die off first. Then maybe we can start over with a clean slate and have a country focused on the principles, practices and ideals that made the US number 1 for so long.
Well played Sir!

lkn4trouble is offline  
#110 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,823 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 11-30-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
#111 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Hickleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario - North of Toronto
Posts: 6,807
Thanks: 366
Thanked 13,924 Times in 5,324 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobbers View Post
On a lighter note,

Once the US reaches the hits the tipping point and goes into crisis mode (like Greece) and none of us have jobs. At least the parasitic flesh bags will die off first. Then maybe we can start over with a clean slate and have a country focused on the principles, practices and ideals that made the US number 1 for so long.
I wonder if that's even possible. The U.S. was in a great position in the past because it had plentiful raw resources and a workforce which didn't mind getting dirty. At some point in time, everything became a specialty, and the jack-of-all-trades became distrusted. The attitude became "why try doing this myself and make a mess, when I can hire somebody who will do it right the first time"

As for the parasites, they won't die off, they will simply continue to drag the system down.

Say "I'm a little fat girl" SAY IT!!
Hickleberry is offline  
#112 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
gpend5.7sport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 4,968
Thanks: 481
Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,489 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ran away and joined the fire force. for fire school and emt basic training barely came out to 7k and thats overshooting a little bit. I can now work for any dept in the country and get full benefits and decent pay. and o yeah took less than a year.


Gabe
Cute Raptor Bro
gpend5.7sport is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gpend5.7sport For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-28-2012), BigRed2007 (11-28-2012)
#113 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
BigRed2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Peoples Socialist Republic of Kommiecticut
Posts: 1,783
Thanks: 3,672
Thanked 3,082 Times in 1,309 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpend5.7sport View Post
I ran away and joined the fire force. for fire school and emt basic training barely came out to 7k and thats overshooting a little bit. I can now work for any dept in the country and get full benefits and decent pay. and o yeah took less than a year.
Gabe, does this mean you're all done with your training? If so, let me be the first to say, "get a job, ya bum!"


Everyone Goes Home


FETC Founder, Member #1
Radiant Red Tundra Club Member #23
Tundra-With-A-Cap Member #21
New England Tundra Club Member #7
Save The Chrome Club Member #13
BigRed2007 is online now  
#114 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 05:54 PM
"Resident Crackpot"
 
RRzxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,821
Thanks: 318
Thanked 9,591 Times in 4,317 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
I was a History Major but I had a few gaps in my schedule that I needed to throw some courses in to meet extra liberal arts requirements on top of what I needed for my major. I took a couple American Studies classes. One was literally titled The Study of Food. Not the history of food. Not the chemical composition of food. Just the study of food in American culture. We would spend an hour a day, 5 days a week, talking about food in modern culture. My homework assignments involved writing about food. On the one hand it was nice to throw in a cream puff class to pad the GPA since some of the more serious history classes were very difficult. They involved 50 page-plus term papers on obscure subjects that required extensive research, and which ended up getting picked apart with a fine toothed comb. On the other hand I knew it was one of silliest waste of time I have ever taken part of. Both the class and the program area seemed like made-up BS, a dumping ground for people who didn't want to take challenging classes or be made to focus on a major that required too much effort. I had a full scholarship so it was not on my dime. But I would have been pissed if I paid tuition and I knew some of it was used so some 50 year old hippie with no practical skills or useful knowledge could have a job teaching college level courses about his personal whims.
You didn't have a problem with it because you didn't flip the bill.
But, who flipped the bill?
I don't have a problem with scholarships. But I have a problem with schools using gov grant money to support useless courses/teachers like that.
If students choose to take courses like that on their own, they should pay out of pocket and they certainly shouldn't be required courses.
It wasn't your money that supported some 50 year old hippie with no practical skills or useful knowledge so he/she could have a job teaching college level courses about their personal whims.
It was all of our money.

Last edited by RRzxter; 11-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.
RRzxter is offline  
#115 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:23 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member
 
OkSlim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tulsa,OK
Posts: 11,096
Thanks: 1,078
Thanked 18,045 Times in 6,989 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
You didn't have a problem with it because you didn't flip the bill.
But, who flipped the bill?
I don't have a problem with scholarships. But I have a problem with schools using gov grant money to support useless courses/teachers like that.
If students choose to take courses like that on their own, they should pay out of pocket and they certainly shouldn't be required courses.
It wasn't your money that supported some 50 year old hippie with no practical skills or useful knowledge so he/she could have a job teaching college level courses about their personal whims.
It was all of our money.
Don't hate the player, Hate the game.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken


2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
OkSlim is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Rockporter (11-29-2012)
#116 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
"Resident Crackpot"
 
RRzxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,821
Thanks: 318
Thanked 9,591 Times in 4,317 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
Don't hate the player, Hate the game.
That's what I said.
RRzxter is offline  
#117 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,823 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Woah now...we don't know what kind of scholarship he got, so we can't really assume that tax payers foot the bill. Could have been an academic scholarship, cheerleading, football, etc, in which case I don't think tax money payed for it.

In South Carolina, every swingin dikk and split tail can get an almost free 2 years of college, at a technical school or 2 year school. The lottery money pays for it. My first full semester after getting out of the army cost me $424 for a full load of classes, after lottery money paid the biggest chunk. That was gamblers money that helped pay for my classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRzxter View Post
You didn't have a problem with it because you didn't flip the bill.
But, who flipped the bill?
I don't have a problem with scholarships. But I have a problem with schools using gov grant money to support useless courses/teachers like that.
If students choose to take courses like that on their own, they should pay out of pocket and they certainly shouldn't be required courses.
It wasn't your money that supported some 50 year old hippie with no practical skills or useful knowledge so he/she could have a job teaching college level courses about their personal whims.
It was all of our money.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
#118 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Senior Member
Premium Member
 
Hickleberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ontario - North of Toronto
Posts: 6,807
Thanks: 366
Thanked 13,924 Times in 5,324 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Government grants here are based on financial need, I don't know if they have a certain amount for biology and a certain amount for psychology, or if it's just a set amount of money and they distribute it regardless of which program the student takes.

If I had the choice between giving my tax money to somebody on welfare or give it to somebody who is going to use it to get an education, I'd prefer it goes for an education.

Say "I'm a little fat girl" SAY IT!!
Hickleberry is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hickleberry For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-28-2012), Rockporter (11-29-2012)
#119 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:45 PM
"Resident Crackpot"
 
RRzxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 5,821
Thanks: 318
Thanked 9,591 Times in 4,317 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha Belly View Post

If I had the choice between giving my tax money to somebody on welfare or give it to somebody who is going to use it to get an education, I'd prefer it goes for an education.
Absolutely.
RRzxter is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to RRzxter For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (11-28-2012)
#120 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Banned
Premium Member
 
Bad Dad's Camrys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the spiral...
Posts: 21,311
Thanks: 17,937
Thanked 35,823 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
We have Pell Grants here in the USA. It is a need-based federal grant. Don't know how it works, never was able to get it, since my wife had a job. There's all kinds of grants out there. I never looked into that stuff, I just applied for and received the lottery money and went to school.
Bad Dad's Camrys is offline  
Reply

  TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome