And so it begins! More of my hard-earned dollars taken - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
And so it begins! More of my hard-earned dollars taken

Ok so I intended to make this a rant because I am pretty damn tired of the nonsense that goes on in this country and the companies and politics that just "milk" its citizens of every nickel and dime they work so hard for. But I won't. However, I am sure the majority of people in this country are going to experience the same thing for the foreseeable future.

So the increases begin. Just got my auto insurance policy renewal for the next year and they've increased our policy roughly $220 for the year, which they deem as a "moderate rate adjustment". Here's their BS excuse that they are trying to shove down to customers' throats:

"Due to the persistence of escalating healthcare costs compounded by auto insurance companies contending with inflated fees for certain medical procedures, we are obligated to implement a moderate rate adjustment with your policy renewal"

Here's where it gets good and they really try to tug on your heart strings:

"We reluctantly make this change at a time when so many of our policyholders are faced with their own personal financial challenges on a regular basis".

YEAH RRIIIIIGGGHHHHTTT!!

Next up, taxes will rise, other premiums will more than likely rise, etc. so your wallet will be lighter and lighter, and it wont be from spending it on goodies for your Tundra.

It's just unreal to think of how bad of a situation this country is in and the fact we as workers pay SO MUCH and yet stuff like this still happens. It's amazing. The hurricane already dampened the holiday spirits and this just takes the knife and turns it slowly sheesh...

I'm not trying to be a downer, but this consumer right here is going to be spending a LOT LESS in the economy for a while just due to uncertainty and my rising costs.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cigars n scotch For This Useful Post:
kf4qvi (11-20-2012), Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012), Ogtoyfan (11-19-2012), oyibo46 (11-20-2012), Powertechn2 (11-20-2012), Rockporter (11-20-2012), Stripah (11-20-2012), tightywhitey (11-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 17,926 Times in 5,089 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hear ya and a feel for ya. But your preaching to the choir here. 5 years with no increase in pay, everything has gone up except what I need to pay for it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ogtoyfan For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-19-2012), Bad Dad's Camrys (11-20-2012), kf4qvi (11-20-2012), Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012), Powertechn2 (11-20-2012), Rockporter (11-20-2012), Stripah (11-20-2012), tightywhitey (11-20-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,687 Times in 695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cigars n scotch View Post
Ok so I intended to make this a rant because I am pretty damn tired of the nonsense that goes on in this country and the companies and politics that just "milk" its citizens of every nickel and dime they work so hard for. But I won't.
Why won't you?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fenrisulfr1 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012), Powertechn2 (11-20-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Thanked 7,897 Times in 3,867 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Just save the rant for later, it is only going to get worse...

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Powertechn2 For This Useful Post:
BigRed2007 (11-20-2012), Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012), tightywhitey (11-20-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned
Premium Member

Thanked 35,831 Times in 15,365 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Sucks.

Last edited by Bad Dad's Camrys; 11-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad Dad's Camrys For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012), tightywhitey (11-20-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 AM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,020 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Start shopping for new insurance.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Mr. Creosote (11-20-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Same boat here. Our medical ins took a large jump in Oct, plus the perscription deal jumped even a higher percentage. No raises for the past 3 years and not sure about next year. It's makin it hard just to keep up, anything extra is pretty much out the window.

If we wern't growing a large part of our food, I'm not sure what we would do. By my estimates we grow 50% or better of what we eat, plus we buy a cow from a neighbor which cuts our meat cost down to about 1/4 of what it would be.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 14,299 Times in 5,550 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
When I first started reading the original post, the first thing that came to my mind was the insurance companies have to pay out big time for hurricane Sandy, and they are trying to recoup their losses.

Insurance companies have a political agenda, I'm sure they don't want Obama in office, so why not disguise their tactics with a little propaganda.

I'm sure many people spend lots of money on insurance and never make a claim, and the insurance companies are more than happy to take it, but when they need to finally pay something out to the millions of people who deserve it, they try to pass the costs on to you...you know...after you've already paid!

Let's assume you've paid $150 per month for car insurance x 12 months x 20 years = $36,000, and you've never ever made a single claim, then the Hurricane comes along and your car gets crushed by a tree. How much money has the insurance company made off of you? Zero, because whatever they've taken in, they are paying out now that your car is trash. Now multiply that by all the millions of people who are making claims, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the insurance companies go bankrupt...unless...they can recoup some of those costs by hitting the consumer in the wallet.

Insurance companies take in money, some of it is spent on claims, paying their staff, advertising, etc, but a lot of it gets re-invested, whether they are providing loans or put it into something like stocks or whatever, most is invested. They don't make a lot of money off the actual premiums you pay, they make their money off of re-investing those funds, but now they have to liquidate those assets in a hurry. I read that Sandy is going to cost $100 billion up front, then more down the road.

Say "I'm a little fat girl" SAY IT!!

Last edited by Hickleberry; 11-20-2012 at 09:26 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hickleberry For This Useful Post:
dikkie (11-20-2012), EUPHOR1C (11-20-2012), kf4qvi (11-20-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,292 Posts
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
I won't even engage in the rest of the argument except to say there are a number of companies that appear to be executing long-planned rate-hikes and layoffs and pinning Obama's name to it. A coal company in Pennsylvania laid off over 100 people right after the election, blaming Obama's war on coal. They conveniently forgot to mention that the industry is affected by what's happening in Europe and struggling to compete with the Natural Gas boom. In all likelihood the layoffs were in the working for quite some time, but they were delayed until after the election and then blamed on Obama.

I cannot help but think somewhere in the mix there are companies that are using this as an excuse to do things that were already planned while simultaneously taking a shot at the President. Because that is probably easier than saying we need more money for the bottom line, so we're jacking rates up even on loyal customers who have been with us for years.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 11-20-2012 at 10:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Rockporter (11-20-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,643 Times in 821 Posts
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Don't fall into their propaganda or excuses as to why your rates are going up. Buddha hit the nail on the head as they are trying to kill two birds with one stone. Your rates are going up because of the state you live in and the recent disaster that unfortunately ravaged much of your coastlines. You should be more upset that they think they can pull a fast one on its customers and insult their intelligence. Shop for a new insurance.

KORE 2.5 FOX COILOVERS
CST SPINDLES
TOTAL CHAOS UCA
35 x 12.50 x 20 TOYO M/T
REAR 3 in BLOCKS and COACHES +3 SHACKLES
20 x 10 FUEL HOSTAGES
AMP POWERSTEPS -- BAKFLIP HD
Quad Bi-Xenon Retrofit (FX-R 2.0 & Mini H1) Oracle Halos
RIGID GRILLE w/ 30 INCH SR LIGHT BAR
BIG RIG CLUB MEMBER #50
The Following User Says Thank You to EUPHOR1C For This Useful Post:
Rockporter (11-20-2012)
#11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Believe me I am not falling for their propaganda. Our cash flow continues to diminish as a result of price increases across everything. When is enough enough?

My car insurance company is the cheapest in NJ amongst all the other crap companies so shopping isn't an option, especially if you believe that Sandy is a direct impact on the increases. That just means all these companies will be increasing rates. And if I left my years as a good driver restart with a new company. Damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 PM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 18,682 Times in 7,376 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eharri3 View Post
I won't even engage in the rest of the argument except to say there are a number of companies that appear to be executing long-planned rate-hikes and layoffs and pinning Obama's name to it. A coal company in Pennsylvania laid off over 100 people right after the election, blaming Obama's war on coal. They conveniently forgot to mention that the industry is affected by what's happening in Europe and struggling to compete with the Natural Gas boom. In all likelihood the layoffs were in the working for quite some time, but they were delayed until after the election and then blamed on Obama.

I cannot help but think somewhere in the mix there are companies that are using this as an excuse to do things that were already planned while simultaneously taking a shot at the President. Because that is probably easier than saying we need more money for the bottom line, so we're jacking rates up even on loyal customers who have been with us for years.
You said your political views didn't have anything to do with your answers.

They blamed it on coal, you immediately said it was europe.
Obama is well documented saying he intends to destroy the coal industry.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
2010 (11-20-2012), BigRed2007 (11-20-2012), Fenrisulfr1 (11-20-2012)
#13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:20 PM

When I bought my Tundra, I had an old Volvo wagon on our insurance policy. The wagon had liability only, wife's car has full coverage. Adding the Tundra doubled our insurance, which I thought was ridiculous. We hadn't shopped insurance in a while, so I called around. Went from one big name company to another, and our insurance went DOWN from the previous policy. That stunned me, so we changed our homeowner's too, which actually went down significantly as well.
#14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 12:38 PM

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,199 Posts
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
A few years ago we called our car insurance company to see if we could get a lower rate and were told no. We said we'd be calling other companies and find one that costs less and were told to go ahead. So, we called around, changed companies and save an average of $300/year. Since we switched, the old insurance company has been sending us monthly junk mail asking us to come back and they could save us money. Every time I get that junk mailing, it renews how pissed I was at them for not being loyal to me as I was to them.

I'd call around and compare other car insurance companies and drop them like a hot potato. So far Progressive has been good for us, but within the next year or two, we'll be calling around again to see if we can save. I've been told to change insurance companies every few years to keep the rates reasonable.
#15 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Thanked 5,207 Times in 2,292 Posts
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkSlim View Post
You said your political views didn't have anything to do with your answers.

They blamed it on coal, you immediately said it was europe.
Obama is well documented saying he intends to destroy the coal industry.
Sigh...

I didn't just say it was all Europe. I said the industry is scapegoating the current administration's policies for its current problems when the truth is that plays a small part on a list of factors that are causing problems. Conservative politicians siezed on these myths, amplified them, and then used them on the campaign trail.

1) Europe's problems and it's effect on the world's energy demands.

2) Inability to compete with natural gas

3) Environmental regulations set to take effect in the next few years in order to ensure compliance with the Clean Air Act, signed into law by Richard Nixon and later modified by the first Bush.

#1 and #2 are the big problems, with #2 being the bigger one. European demand is only just now beginning to slow down after a few years of strong increases so the effects of that issue haven't been fully felt yet. But just wait. Europe has some environmental regulations it is looking at too, and the growth has recently started to slow down without those even coming into effect yet.

#3 is a challenge to the industry too, but not as big or as relevent as the first two.

The rhetoric throughout the campaign focused on #3 and ignored #s 1 and 2 because it was more convenient for Mitt to have everybody believe Obama was single-handedly crushing the industry and costing people jobs just because he feels like it.

We could get into the fact that alot of this is not stuff Obama made up all by himself but rather regulations that were created and set to take effect under previous administrations which were delayed until now. (Think 1st George bush.) But I feel that would be wasted and I am making a real effort here to stay engaged in this stuff without contributing to this trend of every other thread being closed.

There is the extreme right viewpoint, and the extreme left viewpoint, and the truth, which is typically somewhere between the two. Beyond that, I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to get out of me.

The cost of fuel to operate a 6000 pound 400 horsepower half ton that does 0-60 in under 7 seconds is kind of like the price of oil changes for a Porche 911. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.

Last edited by eharri3; 11-20-2012 at 04:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Hickleberry (11-20-2012)

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.