Texas houses (Lewisville, Grapevine, Carrollton area) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Texas houses (Lewisville, Grapevine, Carrollton area)

So I'm looking to buy a house within the next six monthes and need some pointers... First time buyer! What should I look out for? Any tips/suggestions are appreciated!
The Following User Says Thank You to khoanguyen1983 For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Research home inspectors and find a good one.. Single most important thing you can do.

2012 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
3/1 Procomp w/ Nitto Grappler MT
VIAIR 10005 Compressor System
Klein 220 Horns
Expedition 1 Rear Bumper
The Following User Says Thank You to screaminz2002 For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:00 PM

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,220 Posts
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Yup. On the house we just bought it was determined to be a beautifully maintained older home. They had a prior sale fall through after the home inspection.

When we stepped in after the other buyers backed out we bought in a second Home Inspector who was recommended to us by a friend. He proceeded to find that there was a crack in the heat exchanger in the furnace and that it was 37 years old and not 25 years old like the owners put on the disclosure (Missed in the prior home inspection and missed by the HVAC guy who serviced the furnace less than a year prior). He also found that the breaker box had a few more fuses in it than it was rated for and one of the wires in the electrical system was not the right gauge for the load it was expected to handle. (Missed in the prior home inspection and missed by the township zoning inspector who checked the wiring work and rated it all A-OK.) Even alot of credentialed professionals will cash your check and then miss stuff they are supposed to find all the time. We still bought the house because it was otherwise a good by, but because this guy found things that were previously missed we were able to get money back to handle things we otherwise wouldn't have even found until after we closed.

Otherwise, one other thing I have learned as a first time buyer is you have to look at every aspect of every deal. Don't get tunnel vision and just worry about the price of the house. Everything has its pros and cons. I know around us New construction is expected to be trouble free and not require any updates for years but the taxes are twice as much. It is harder to find an older home in good shape but if you do you get more for your money and the taxes are alot lower. Pay attention to location. Again, in my area it is common to find two very similar homes a mile apart but because one is 'Blue-Colllar-Township' and the next one over is 'Snob-Ville' the same thing costs 100K more and 2-3 times as much in taxes. The best way to learn is to jump in and start checking out houses. The more you look the more you get a feel for how your local market works.

BRING BACK BAD DAD CAMRY club member # 1

Last edited by eharri3; 11-15-2012 at 04:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
General rule of thumb. Better to be the worst house in a good neighborhood than the best in a bad one.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2012 DC RW 3" RC front, BHLM, PC beadlocks, NFAB Steps
Magnetic Grey Club #18
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamjcb For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012), wacked (11-16-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
Premium Member

Thanked 11,922 Times in 4,851 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
All 3 are really nice areas. Only part I don't like is that 121 is a toll road North of Grapevine. I think Grapevine will have lower property taxes of the 3. You might consider Flower Mound for a nice area with a little lower taxes.

Oh, and avoid Lake Lewisville during all major holidays. There's always someone who dies on that lake in a boating accident on a holiday.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORON #1
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 07:32 AM

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to start looking this weekend, narrow down what I like and dont like, and figure out which areas I really want to be in... traffic sucks around all 3 of those places right now though... I know that much... Lol
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

The Colony, Carrollton, Coppell, Colleyville, Southlake, and Trophy Club are all expensive places to live. Best thing to do is to get a house really close, but not actually in those cities.

All mod descriptions and pictures © 2007-2014 by Toxarch. They may be copied only for personal use and the mods may be done for non-profit only.
Quote:
Do not mention his name here. He spits on us and talks crap and you're directing people to him from our site? I don't think so. I know you're neutral and that's fine, but please do not mention him here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toxarch For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Premium Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Talk to the Neighbors they know everything about what has been done and the owners, if I would have done that I would not have bought my first house. Also the home inspector don't go cheap it will save you money in the long run.

2008 Tundra Crew Max LMT 4X4
6inch Pro Comp Stage 1
XD Monster 20 X 9 -12 Offset Falken 35 X 12.5
Work in Progress

Texas Truck Member
The Following User Says Thank You to DDRaptor For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 AM

(Thread Starter)
What is the average cost of having a home inspector go through your house? And when you say a place is expensive to live in, that means a more expensive house? Or higher property tax?
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
"Resident Liberal"
Premium Member

Thanked 17,825 Times in 6,857 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
I remember reading how bad the drought in that area has been the last two years and that they had a really bad problem with foundations cracking. They also found an indian burial ground when lake lewis or whatever it is named dried up.

The voices in my head don't like you.

If you are a fan of fat girls, Dave Matthews CD's are better than a ham on a fishing pole.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

2008 RCSB 4.7 TRD Offroad 4x4
The Following User Says Thank You to OkSlim For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012)
#11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 4,251 Times in 1,831 Posts
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoanguyen1983 View Post
What is the average cost of having a home inspector go through your house? And when you say a place is expensive to live in, that means a more expensive house? Or higher property tax?
In Texas, home inspection prices are capped by the state. I believe a house up to 5000sf is $425.

2011 Tundra CrewMax Platinum RWD • Silver Sky Metallic • LazerLite Tonneau Cover • MaxTrac 3.5" Lift Spindles • Ekstrom Design +3" Shackles & Carrier Bearing Drop • American Outlaw Armor 20x9 Charcoal Chrome Wheels • Nitto Terra Grappler LT305/55R20 Tires
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevenD For This Useful Post:
Ogtoyfan (11-17-2012), OkSlim (11-17-2012)
#12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

The house will cost more because of the city it is in and the property taxes will be higher. Colleyville and Grapevine are right next to each other. People would rather say they live in Colleyville than Grapevine. The average income in Colleyville will be higher than Grapevine. Can you tell the difference? The city limit sign is the only way I can tell. I know people in Colleyville and I know people in Grapevine. They are separated by one highway exit less that a mile apart. The houses are about the same size, but the yard in Grapevine is 3x larger and the house costs a lot less.

Quote:
#13 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,220 Posts
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxarch View Post
The house will cost more because of the city it is in and the property taxes will be higher. Colleyville and Grapevine are right next to each other. People would rather say they live in Colleyville than Grapevine. The average income in Colleyville will be higher than Grapevine. Can you tell the difference? The city limit sign is the only way I can tell. I know people in Colleyville and I know people in Grapevine. They are separated by one highway exit less that a mile apart. The houses are about the same size, but the yard in Grapevine is 3x larger and the house costs a lot less.
We have a very similar situation here in my area of Pa. There are like 6 or 8 different tiny boroughs and a few larger townships. In alot of areas you drive through and would not know the difference except you see the "Welcome to..." signs every 2 minutes. Mostly decent middle class neighborhoods. Nothing ghetto, but nothing super high-class. But they are attached to different school districts and have their own little niche markets. You can find a 3 bedroom 2 bath for 320K with 12K per year in taxes, then 5 minutes away you can find a 3 bedroom 2 bath for 250K with 6K in taxes. In the area that is more expensive I have been seeing a long row of for sale signs lining the street that have stayed up for a very long time. In the other areas, not so much. If they weren't so close together it would probably not be as bad. But because they are right on top of eachother it seems like a no-brainer to most buyers.

BRING BACK BAD DAD CAMRY club member # 1
#14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lewisville is a nice area, also shady shores,

#15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 AM

(Thread Starter)
Have also been thinking about town homes and duplexes...they have a bunch going up in lewisville...

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > Off-Topic Discussion