LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
BIT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New member in GA

Just purchased a 2017 Platinum CM 4x4 in Super White! Former LOYAL Ford guy that has seen the light and changed brands. Wow...can't believe I'm actually saying that...

Anyway, traded my 2012 F150 Lariat 4x4 Eco for my new Platinum. Been reading forums for a while...thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts on this forum and helping me make the right decision.

Already picking up parts to personalize my truck....this is part I hate....it always costs me too much $$$...but very satisfying!

2017 Platinum CM 4X4 Super White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 12:28 AM
Vendor
Premium Member

Thanked 28,060 Times in 13,905 Posts
Mentioned: 1040 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7783 Post(s)
Welcome to TundraTalk!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Columbus GA.

2014 Tundra 17.7k miles 07/29/16

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Where in GA, and if you don't mind me asking, could you compare your F-150 to the Tundra? I'm 95% sold on the latter, but I'm still comparison shopping for the sake of completeness.

Currently looking for a 2014+ for early 2018 purchase
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
BIT

(Thread Starter)
TheCochese:

I live up in Forsyth County. I'd be glad to give you my reasons for changing brands.

I have owned a Ranger, (2) F250 Super Duty Crews and a 2012 F150...still own a 78 Bronco.

The F150:

I have to admit I loved this truck. It was hard letting it go. It was a commuter truck, very little offroad and it only pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer on occasion. It had plenty of get-up-and-go with the Ecoboost and was comfortable to drive. Everything worked and it never left me stranded or spent "much" time at the dealer. There were a few things that happened along its 122,000 miles but nothing that I considered a major repair. I did most the maintenance on it and what I could not do, or did not want to do at the time, I "let" the dealer do. Part of my reason for changing was due to my Ford Service experiences. I could write a book containing all of the issues I had with Ford Service so, I won't go into that here. They do not stand behind their product. I always got kickback from them.

I will give you my opinions of what I liked and did not like about both vehicles.

Appearance: I like the appearance of both trucks. Look was not a deciding factor.

Ride: The F150 had a great ride. More like a car. The Tundra also has a great ride...but, I feel more of the road with the Tundra, if that makes sense. It's just different, not better or worse, just different. It's a decision that you have to make based on you preferences.

Power/speed (My butt dyno): The F150 was a fast truck. The twin turbos made that thing fly. That's what initially sold me on it. The Tundra is not as quick off the line as the F150. Maybe gearing had something to with it. But, the Tundra feels like it will PULL A HOUSE! It has that same feel that both of my diesels did. That's just my impression.

Things I miss about my F150....remote start, better/larger side mirrors, more rear seat storage, larger bed with a crew cab, higher ride stance, lower and more adjustable seats, 110V power port and the cooled seats were actually cooled...much better. Rear view camera located in the rear view mirror...not the dash.

Things I don't miss about the F150...worrying. Worrying when the timing chain might start it's death rattle, wondering when the another seal will start leaking, hoping that when I hit the throttle to get on the freeway, the condensation that built up in the intercooler is going to blow into the intake, cause a misfire and leave you with NO POWER to get out of the way of that 18 wheeler getting larger in your rear view mirror, waiting for the brake vacuum pump to fail , waiting for the 3rd brake light to starting leaking and ruining my headliner. Having to replace the rotors on a new vehicle because they warp so quickly. I also don't miss cleaning out the mold around the taillights and 3rd break light. And finally, I will not miss going to the Ford service department!!!!!!!!!

I drove the new F150. The F150 cab seemed smaller, including the seating areas and headroom. I don't like that the body made out of aluminum. I don't like the look of the new F150. Not sure why they did some of the things that they did. I think they did it out of pressure from other manufacturers. And....I WILL NOT PAY for what they are asking for a new truck. I don't know what direction they are going in but, I don't care for it.

Why I chose the Tundra....Dependability and value. Most say that the Tundra gets poor gas mileage but, as of right now, I am getting the same that my ecoboost did. Look around... Compare the Tundra to all of the other brands and see what you find. Check options and pricing. It's a no-brainer. Read the competitor forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. Find out the "real deal" from the folks that own the vehicles...it will tell you a lot. I picked the Tundra because I wanted a change and I wasn't willing to drop a ton of money. I was tired of hearing all about "the big 3". I wanted a dependable vehicle that was going to last a long time. I think I made the right decision. But, that was my choice.

Go with your gut and I'm sure you'll make the right decision... for you.

2017 Platinum CM 4X4 Super White
The Following User Says Thank You to BIT For This Useful Post:
TheCochese (03-22-2017)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Tundra. I work in the service department at a Toyota Dealership here in Jersey. If I can help you with any service related issues just let me know. A few years ago I drove down to Georgia 15 hours one way about 40 miles south of Macon to pick up a dog. Beautiful State and great people!

Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician 20+ years
"I know a thing or two cuz I've seen a thing or two."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on the truck. I live up in Forsyth Co as well. If you see a black Tundra CM with a 'RUINER' plate, that's me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIT View Post
TheCochese:

I live up in Forsyth County. I'd be glad to give you my reasons for changing brands.

I have owned a Ranger, (2) F250 Super Duty Crews and a 2012 F150...still own a 78 Bronco.

The F150:

I have to admit I loved this truck. It was hard letting it go. It was a commuter truck, very little offroad and it only pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer on occasion. It had plenty of get-up-and-go with the Ecoboost and was comfortable to drive. Everything worked and it never left me stranded or spent "much" time at the dealer. There were a few things that happened along its 122,000 miles but nothing that I considered a major repair. I did most the maintenance on it and what I could not do, or did not want to do at the time, I "let" the dealer do. Part of my reason for changing was due to my Ford Service experiences. I could write a book containing all of the issues I had with Ford Service so, I won't go into that here. They do not stand behind their product. I always got kickback from them.

I will give you my opinions of what I liked and did not like about both vehicles.

Appearance: I like the appearance of both trucks. Look was not a deciding factor.

Ride: The F150 had a great ride. More like a car. The Tundra also has a great ride...but, I feel more of the road with the Tundra, if that makes sense. It's just different, not better or worse, just different. It's a decision that you have to make based on you preferences.

Power/speed (My butt dyno): The F150 was a fast truck. The twin turbos made that thing fly. That's what initially sold me on it. The Tundra is not as quick off the line as the F150. Maybe gearing had something to with it. But, the Tundra feels like it will PULL A HOUSE! It has that same feel that both of my diesels did. That's just my impression.

Things I miss about my F150....remote start, better/larger side mirrors, more rear seat storage, larger bed with a crew cab, higher ride stance, lower and more adjustable seats, 110V power port and the cooled seats were actually cooled...much better. Rear view camera located in the rear view mirror...not the dash.

Things I don't miss about the F150...worrying. Worrying when the timing chain might start it's death rattle, wondering when the another seal will start leaking, hoping that when I hit the throttle to get on the freeway, the condensation that built up in the intercooler is going to blow into the intake, cause a misfire and leave you with NO POWER to get out of the way of that 18 wheeler getting larger in your rear view mirror, waiting for the brake vacuum pump to fail , waiting for the 3rd brake light to starting leaking and ruining my headliner. Having to replace the rotors on a new vehicle because they warp so quickly. I also don't miss cleaning out the mold around the taillights and 3rd break light. And finally, I will not miss going to the Ford service department!!!!!!!!!

I drove the new F150. The F150 cab seemed smaller, including the seating areas and headroom. I don't like that the body made out of aluminum. I don't like the look of the new F150. Not sure why they did some of the things that they did. I think they did it out of pressure from other manufacturers. And....I WILL NOT PAY for what they are asking for a new truck. I don't know what direction they are going in but, I don't care for it.

Why I chose the Tundra....Dependability and value. Most say that the Tundra gets poor gas mileage but, as of right now, I am getting the same that my ecoboost did. Look around... Compare the Tundra to all of the other brands and see what you find. Check options and pricing. It's a no-brainer. Read the competitor forums and you'll see what I'm talking about. Find out the "real deal" from the folks that own the vehicles...it will tell you a lot. I picked the Tundra because I wanted a change and I wasn't willing to drop a ton of money. I was tired of hearing all about "the big 3". I wanted a dependable vehicle that was going to last a long time. I think I made the right decision. But, that was my choice.

Go with your gut and I'm sure you'll make the right decision... for you.
Great post. Confirms some of what I've heard about Ford Service. I do like the current F150's design, as do I the Silverado and particularly the Sierra. I still think I'm going Tundra, but I've got a long way to go and it's best if I keep any and all options open. Thanks for the insight.

Currently looking for a 2014+ for early 2018 purchase
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Thanks for joining
Tony

SHOP HERE FOR AWESOME
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Welcome from another Forsyth county Tundra family.

2016 Tundra CM - Blazing Blue Pearl - 3/1 level kit on 295/60-20's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Member Area > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.