Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Older, Wiser...but boring. Not for Long!

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  1AAuto.com 
#1 ·
Hello from the central Oregon coast. Thanks for having me and giving me a chance to introduce myself.

A couple of months ago I sold an older collector car to allow us to get a new '17 Tacoma and a travel trailer. Once I had my hands on the new, special ordered, Tacoma I had also promised to let go of my beloved '82 4X4. Tho I had the scratch to cover the Tacoma's $40K+ price tag I began to think this was not the smartest way to go, for us. I was re-thinking the Tacoma's ability (or inability) to comfortably tow the trailer we had in mind.

I was fortunate to get some sound advice from friends who suggested we should go with a Tundra instead. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago...we found a very low milage (52,000) '07 Tundra which was set up in an unusual way, probably not very desirable by most but a perfect fit for us: - 5.7L, 2WD, Regular cab (all we needed), long bed (I really wanted), tow package, brake controller, & canopy (a must on the Oregon coast). In the end, we paid less than one third of what the new Tacoma was going to cost us.

I'll admit to initially being a little conflicted as I had special ordered the Tacoma, customized from the factory just the way I wanted it. I was looking forward to having all the bells and whistles for a change, as my '82 truck was my daily driver and the newest vehicle I own, (sort of, the wife drives the new fancy stuff). But, the low cost of the used Tundra allowed us to get the travel trailer we wanted and a new boat with $ left over for the savings account. The best part...it also allowed me to not have to sell the '82! (The dealer was less than happy to hear the news).

So, like I mentioned, the Tundra is perfect for us the way it is. But, admittedly it could use some sprucing up. On the drawing board are wheels, tires, and a front leveling kit, to start. Possibly a DDI muffler and then that may be it.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to gaining knowledge here as I plug along. Any, and all, advice is welcome.

Cheers!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard.

I had an 82 Toyota pickup 2wd with the 22R. I beat the crap outta that thing but it never broke down on me.

Look at BAmufflers. Best tundra exhaust you can buy and made by a member here. Keith @dirtydeeds is a great guy and will answer any questions you have while you're deciding.

Reactions: dirtydeeds
#4 ·
Welcome!

#8 ·
Stitched on a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover today. If you still have a plastic rimmed wheel like I did, this is one of the best additions you can make to your interior. It fattens up the wheel, feels great and looks much better. It's an easy and inexpensive upgrade. Took about an hour to do. Wheelskins have a how to video on Utube that is worth watching first.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.