Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Advice on TRD Pro Hauling and Lift

864 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Lude Dude 
#1 ·
Friends,

I'm brand new to this whole forum thing, and also to my Tundra. I've had 3 Tacomas and finally got a Tundra. We went for the DC TRD Pro and I could use some advice:

(1) We plan to move back West this year and will be towing (3,000mi), probably about a 6x12' trailer. If I plan to load up the bed (I've got an ARE Cap) and tow, do I NEED to get airbags or anything to support the load? After this big 3,000mi trip, the only hauling we plan to do is mulch and dirt for gardening. I'm clueless on weight but I've read that these trucks don't carry loads well? I also saw the recent posts about the Roadmaster Active Suspension but read a lot of bad reviews. Do I NEED airbags for a tow like this? And for hauling dirt, mulch, etc?

(2) I'd like to get some 34-35" tires but don't want to replace the TRD suspension. What are my options for getting some lift? And how much do I need? I've read a little about Coachbuilder's shackles. Is that the best route? What about the front? And do these mess up any angles on the drivetrain? Or is there anything else I have to think about?

Thanks guys, much obliged. If there are already answers out there, I'd be helped even by just pointing me to the appropriate threads.

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Lee's Rig,

Thanks man. I was also thinking air is too much. I don't know how much to guestimate on weight, but I figure the TT and my bed will be full. We're moving, so we're talking books, clothes, kitchen stuff, a few desks, etc. Would you suggest Timbrens, or Roadmaster Active Suspension or Helwig Helper springs or something else? And is a WDH necessary?

Thanks again.

#6 ·
You need to get a decent estimate on weight of the objects you intend to haul, then understand the amount of weight your trailer (when full) will put on your hitch. Without that weight it will be very difficult for anyone to give you advice on what you may/may not need for the truck. The truck's payload capacity vs payload weight of shell, items in bed and payload weight of hitched and full trailer is what you will need to understand and compare. That information will allow people to make suggestions on any supplemental mods that may help. If you are well under payload and towing ratings/capabilities of the Tundra PRO, then nothing will be needed.

Does that make sense?

#7 ·
Yor truck will handle the load up to the payload without modification (weight of occupants accessories, gear and tongue weight applied by the trailer ). It will squat. That squat is more pronounced in level trucks like the pro. If the trailer is over 5k a weight distribution hitch will be needed per the owners manual. Adding sway control to the hitch is also a good idea. Stuff adds up quick.

To get more lift you can add up to 2 CB shims to each front coil over and add CB shackles out back. I have 2 CB shims per side for an additional 1" up front and CB +2 shackles out back. I also run Firestone bags for towing my TT. I talked myself into them but in the end the truck handles the TT with the WDH just fine.

#9 ·
#11 ·
I just put some air bags in from air lift. You can get just the bags with a manual fill for around 300$ . I did the install in my driveway with no problems. I did a pump system and setting up the pump and wiring took most of the time with the install. Like I said before for a long trip it may be worth the 300$ just to improve your ride and the truck will handle better and will also help out with the future landscaping work. Sounds like you will have a bit of weight for your move.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.