Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

anything to help on the gas gauge

616 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  The Badger 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2015 tundra crew max.how can Toyota put out a truck that gets an average of 11 mi per gallon. Maybe 20 yrs ago I could see this.OK that being said I love the trucks ride and the options it came with.this is my first tundra I have always had silverados and never had a problem with them.just wanted a change.is there anything to do to get this mpg up or am I stuck? What is the average you guys are getting?I never seen a truck get 100mi on a half of tank,then the light comes on at 245.

#2 · (Edited)
First off Welcome to the forum!

Well they can put it out because people like us buy it! That includes you with your new purchase! You probably did your research regarding other trucks in the market and made an educated guess to go with the Tundra knowing very well what the real world fuel economy figures are.

Your mileage will improve with time. The engine is new and will need to get broken in. Give it a 1000-1500 miles and your MPG should increase. I am at 16+ (14 CM 4x4 5.7L with 33's) regularly which includes a lot of towing. Be patient and give it some time.

Some other things to include: winter blend fuel gives lower fuel economy, do you live somewhere cold that you allow the engine to idle for long periods of time, do you do a lot of short trips, do you drive aggressively?

Based off your numbers above, 245/20 gives 12.25mpg. When my light turns on I usually fill up with 18-20 gallons.

Congrats on the purchase, give it some time and enjoy the truck without looking at the gas gauge - after all it is a truck with a beast of an engine!!

#3 ·
I'm getting 14.8 City/Highway with my CrewMax. As mentioned Winter Blend Gas sucks for Starters, 20" Tires could be a factor and pretty sure the CrewMax is 500# heavier.

But time as it breaks in should get better, Maybe hopefully. I'm waiting for that moment too >:D

#4 ·
Yes I was thinking another 2-3 miles would b great.I do love the truck.and yes I live in upstate NY and I don't think we seen 30° for the last month. I have looked on here and online for new headlights,the local shop says LED is the best option out there.I have read a lot of the other post about what is best but not sure what way the lean.what are the stock lights considered? A regular halogen bulb?

#5 ·
Welcome from VA. I have to agree that winter blend gas sucks. I lost about 2 mpg when the stations switched over. When researching my new truck I knew up front what the mileage would be. Not the best but I can live with it. Enjoy your new ride.

Reactions: MetalMonkey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.