Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Choice: Tacoma or Tundra

3K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Azblue 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting my first truck next year and I've narrowed it to two choices: A double cab short bed tacoma or a double cab mid bed tundra. I know that the Tundra is bigger and more capable for hauling and towing, but I think that the Tacoma would be more fun to use for going on expeditions through the dessert. What do you guys think? Thanks

#2 ·
It depends on what your purposes for the truck are.... tight offroad heavy trails then the tacoma is your truck. If you are looking for a capable half ton hauler that can pull its weight off road as well then the tundra is for you. The tundra gets a little worse gas mileage but the power of the 5.7L is worth it. But asking that question here, of course you are going to get a biased response from tundra owners for the tundra's sake.

#5 ·
Tundra! Go big or go home! But, in all serisouness it all boils down to, do you want to haul and tow heavy loads as well as turn your truck into a desert runner. Or do you want to just have a fun desert runner? Don't get me wrong the tacoma can pull its own weight none the less but go big with the Tundra :)

Get the 5.7 for the tundra if you go with it!

Reactions: osidepunker
#7 ·
Wow! what a quick response! Thanks guys!

That's the issue, I currently don't have a truck so I don't haul anything, but whenever it comes up (which is surprisingly frequent) I wish I could haul. The Tacoma (with a short bed) isn't really a useful for hauling but it does pretty good for towing (6000 lbs). The Tacoma would be totally transformed into a expedition vehicle, but I'm not sure if I could do the same with the Tundra. But I would probably use the Tundra's capability more than the Tacoma's off road capability. (to answer the bias comment, I've been talking to Tacoma owners because I know a ton of them, but I don't know anyone with with a Tundra so here I am)

#10 ·
Test drive a Tundra. I did while shopping for a Taco. That experience of power convinced me to get a Tundra.

#11 ·
I owned a 2011 crewmax. It got me all wet and I wanted to build it up. I didnt because I decided I wanted a bigger bed. The 5.5' wasnt enough for me. I shopped trucks spring of 2013 again. I decided that I wanted a smaller truck so I was convinced I wanted a tacoma. When I went to the dealer I was shocked to discover that I would only save about $4k with Tacoma, MPG was similar, and load capacity was lacking. I never even drove one. I just pulled the trigger on a 2013 double cab rock warrior.

I am not looking back.

The tundra is ultra-reliable, has plenty of power, a robust 4wd system, and is designed to carry the kind of heavy loads that overlanding demands. Sure, there are some places that a taco can go where a tundra just wont fit. But I have yet to find them...

If you do a coilover lift and 35" all terrains, you will be able to cover a lot of ground.

Bottom line is the only thing the taco has going for it is short wheelbase. So unless you plan on tackling the rubicon, the tundra should be your next truck.

#12 ·
I have now owned one of each. You won't regret either one, but it really depends on how you plan to use it. As my boys grew I needed more room so this last truck had to be a Tundra.

#17 ·
I took a Tacoma dbl cab short bed and Tundra crewmax for extended test drives. I really wanted to buy a Tacoma and actually like the looks of the Tacoma better than Tundra. But, after the test drives I couldn't go with the Tacoma. It is way too small inside. The front seat is unacceptable. There is no height adjustment and my legs were pointing straight out because the seat was so low. The Tundra also drove a lot nicer, had way more features and was not that much more. Tacoma does have better resale value though.

We ended up buying a Tundra and it's working great so far. BTW this is my very first truck too and I'm getting used to it. Previous car was a Honda Fit :nerd:

#22 ·
Congrats!

I tip my hat to my northern neighbors that have to pay a premium for anything so congrats on the Tundra...

:nopics:

#18 ·
I have owned a lot of vehicles and especially trucks. I've had 3 Silverado Z71's, 2 Tacoma's, and now a Tundra. I've only had my Tundra a few weeks so I may still have new car fever and be biased but I love it. It is by far my favorite of all the trucks I have owned. Both times I had Tacoma's I ended up trading them in for the Silverados. Yes, Tacoma's are sporty and a blast to play with but if this is going to be your daily driver I'd go with a Tundra. Even though the latest generation of Tacomas have increased in size they are still pretty small. Get a nice Tundra like I did and do your own work to it and I promise you won't be Sorry!

#21 ·
The tundra will go where ever the Taco will go ;)

thats my old tacoma btw.. sold it to my best friend...

#24 ·
Was looking at the Tacoma and really don't know why they hold their value better than a Tundra ?

Sure it's a good machine, it's just that everything seemed cheaper on it .. brakes (drums on back), leafs, tailgate, seats, old flip style rv mirror, even the hood has to be propped up and then slammed shut.

#25 ·
Was looking at the Tacoma and really don't know why they hold their value better than a Tundra ?

Motor Trend has 5 year retained value at 66% Taco vs 62% Tundra. Both still much better than any other truck. From what I've seen, even those %'s are low. One of the main reasons I have a new 14 instead of a used one is the resale on Tundras is crazy high. Didn't make sense to go used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.