Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Central Arizona Labor Day Weekend Run!

11K views 106 replies 16 participants last post by  UncleJimmy 
#1 · (Edited)
We're gonna take a dirt road tour of Central Arizona over Labor Day weekend with @osidepunker (maybe) and @Zackbremer. I can take 3 more trucks for a total of 6.

Only 4wd trucks or 2wd with AT or mud 35s and recovery points. You will get scratches and/or minor body damage because we'll be on some trails largely meant for Jeeps. Bring firewood, 10 gallons of water, full size spare tire and tools to change it, and backcountry camping gear as we'll be doing dispersed camping.

If you're in, post here and pm me your email address and phone number. We'll share meal duties.

Beer drinking and tomfoolery is a must - maybe even a Fireball Run.

Role Call:

@KevinK, Lisa and two dogs - DC 4x4 on 37s - Dinner Friday, something with cheese and bacon

@osidepunker - DC 4x4 long travel on 35s - breakfast Saturday and Sunday

@Zackbremer - CM 4x4 on 35s?

@UncleJimmy and wife - DC 4x4 on 35s I think - breakfast Monday

@spenny - 4 Runner 4x4 with magic buttons and no front sway bar now - dinner Saturday

@Scooby 329% committed even though he says he's not gonna make it- CM 4x4 on 35s

Route/Itinerary:

Friday: We're gonna go run Sycamore Creek in the afternoon, and then drive to Lake Pleasant in the evening to camp.Those of us available Friday will meetup with the Saturday starters in the morning when they come to our camp location.

Saturday: Meet at the Friday Night camping spot (coordinates later, but on the north end of Lake Pleasant) EARLY. The AZFJ group is running 25-35 FJs starting at 7:30, so we're getting on the trail first. Take the back way to Crown King for lunch. Then to Prescott to camp. Camp location TBD.

Sunday: Smiley Rock Trail and maybe lunch in Jerome. Other trails on or around Mingus Mountain. Camp location TBD

Monday: Runs in the morning, routes TBD but maybe West Sedona and the FR525 corridor. Leave for home in the early afternoon.

I'm open to trail suggestions in addition to Crown King and Smiley Rock. We usually wheel further east, so I don't know all the trails around here.

Comms:
VHF 147.420 primary / 147.520 backup

See less See more
#2 ·
If I wasn't 10hr drive away I'd be in...

#7 ·
Bring it! I'm sure no one will say anything like 'my truck can do it but yours can't. Hold my beer!'

Kevin I'm not coming unless you get your hot water system finished...

If it's not done, I'll wash your hands with some 98* all organic yellow water. :D

Tapatalk - because smoke signals would be too easy.

#8 ·
Damn this does sound fun but I'm already logged to work through that weekend :( I have so much planned this year its ridiculous! My bachelor party is the weekend before at Saguaro Lake then the weekend after labor day is a solo camp trip with my dad. With my wedding in November I basically am all booked up till next year...

#10 ·
I might check those trails and see if theres one that i could just do for the day and go home afterwards instead of camping. step 1: fix my steering. step 2: don't blow the rack out while off roading again.

my bachelor party is in Oct and also married in NOV. lol

we are going camping for the bachelor party>:D

#9 ·
#12 · (Edited)
So the date is Sat. Sep. 3rd, is that right?

We drove the back way to CK this summer with Les. There are some good obstacles.

P.S. We were out camping for the month of July in Prescott area and I just saw you are on 37"s? Nice! Pics? I dont see them in your build thread.

We're gonna take a dirt road tour of Central Arizona over Labor Day weekend with @osidepunker (maybe) and @Zackbremer. I can take 3 more trucks for a total of 6.

Only 4wd trucks or 2wd with AT or mud 35s and recovery points. You will get scratches and/or minor body damage because we'll be on some trails largely meant for Jeeps. Bring firewood, 10 gallons of water, full size spare tire and tools to change it, and backcountry camping gear as we'll be doing dispersed camping.

If you're in, post here and pm me your email address and phone number. We'll share meal duties.

Beer drinking and tomfoolery is a must - maybe even a Fireball Run.

Role Call:

@KevinK, Lisa and two dogs - DC 4x4 on 37s

@osidepunker maybe - DC 4x4 long travel on 35s

@Zackbremer and ???- CM 4x4 on 35s?

Route/Itinerary:

Saturday: Meet at In-n-Out at Cave Creek and I-17, time: MORNING TBD. Gas up! Take the back way to Crown King for lunch. Senator Highway (or whatever dirt road we want) to Prescott to camp. Camp location TBD.

Sunday: Smiley Rock Trail and maybe lunch in Jerome. Other trails on or around Mingus Mountain. Camp location TBD

Monday: Runs in the morning, routes TBD but maybe West Sedona and the FR525 corridor. Leave for home in the early afternoon.

If anyone is interested, we could extend to include either Friday before the weekend, or Tuesday at the end.

I'm open to trail suggestions in addition to Crown King and Smiley Rock. We usually wheel further east, so I don't know all the trails around here.

Comms:
VHF 147.420 primary / 147.520 backup

#14 ·
Yeah Saturday the 3rd. We could start Friday or extend to Tuesday if people want, but we'll figure that out when we have 6 commitments. ;)

We'll probably be looking for a spot to camp south of Prescott if you have any suggestions.

Did you happen to do the Desoto Mine trail? It's between KC and Prescott off the senator highway. Looks gnarly and I wanna try it.

Yeah we did 37s! And I totally forgot to update The Chaotic Build Thread. LoL

#13 ·
hmmmm i'm only on 33's though. i do have 4 hi/lo and rear locker. also coilovers and the back is 1" lifted....also ALL THE LEDS!!!!!!

#15 ·
If you're down for dragging it across some boulders, come out! :D

Check out videos of Smiley Rock trail and Desoto Mine trail for an idea of what we're gettin into. Should be awesome!

#20 ·
Confirmed for my wife and I.

Reactions: KevinK
#22 ·
i can say that phx to CK with 2 vehicles takes about 4.5 hrs(so prolly closer to 5.5-6hr with our group) and that was skipping 2 of the major climbs just cus we had done them a bunch before...never done desamoto trail, but ck to prescott is an additional 2 hours there is not much on this trail its a nice fast tight woods trail, nothing crazy, good views and a waterfall you can hike down to..shit this time of year its prolly a lil swimming hole, we went when it was cold. prescott is a party town lots of bars and good food...ive never camped in prescott but i know there are places. itll be a long day but its fun. you are def ready for a walk to some good food to stretch the legs when you hit town

heres some pics of the last time i did this run

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/me...oenix-crownking-prescott-sunday-8-2-15-a.html

#25 ·
There are lots of dispersed camping areas around Prescott that I am familiar with. I camped the whole month of July up there in different spots.

The DMT looks knarley but I'm up for trying it. I don't have sliders though and I'm getting the dents fixed in my truck body right next week so I don't want to add to those :)

#23 ·
the desoto mine trail looks like it shud have its own day..it says 12 miles 4-5 hours to complete and lots of potential for breakdown...heres a few vids

just doesnt seem realistic to try an include it in the trip from PHX -->CK-->desoto--->prescott

skids and rocksliders seem mandatory for that trail from the vids ive seen

#26 ·
Also I just found this source for additional trails just in case.

We should also reach out to Sean @Dravur perhaps; I know he's familiar with the area.

Attachments

#34 ·
ok, everyone except @Scooby is 100%, so I'm calling him 100% also.

Who can start Friday afternoon/evening by camping near Lake Pleasant? I know @osidepunker and the Kavanagh's are good for it. I think @spenny is too.
@UncleJimmy, at the risk of sounding dumb, what is KP? You mentioned you could do it any day but Sunday afternoon... is that meal prep?

Lisa and I will do dinner Friday night - something with cheese and bacon.
@Zackbremer are you bringing anyone with you? Trying to get a complete head count for meal prep.

#36 ·
Which of you guys has orange or red methods??? lol saw the truck in camp verde yesterday. looked super bro. which i'm a fan of cause, i'm a bro.

#42 ·
@osidepunker Lets meet up Friyay morning and roll out! You jump on the 60 or 10 someplace from su casa? Wherever that is let's put that as the meeting spot.

Put me down for a Dinner some night too!

Might rig up a hammock for this trip off the rack unless I can find a cocktail waitress to be named later to tag along

Reactions: KevinK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.