Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Big Bear, CA Run

49K views 561 replies 39 participants last post by  osidepunker 
#1 ·
OK Keith :lol5: said he knows the trails up there so lets set a date and make a trip.
I need another excuse to go to SoCal

#77 ·
Hey all the MTB guys! What kind of riding do you plan on doing??? I havent gotten on my bike since I broke my collar bone and neck last xmas (overcooked the angle on a hip jump and landed on my head). But Im mostly healed up now and I would be down for some light riding. No gnar gnar downhill stuff for me anymore...

#78 ·
Thelma's in the morning...

It just sounds like a good mom n pop diner...

Good call Sean on the food...

Good call deeds on the first to act...

Reactions: dirtydeeds
#79 ·
I don't do any downhill stuff. Just don't have the bike for it. Might bring it just to cruise some trails maybe. I was thinking of heading down Friday night, might stay in Victorville or find a spot up in the mountains for the night and meet everyone in the AM.
Think on Sunday head down to LaJolla and do some kayaking in the surf before I head home.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#81 ·
I have a Trek Fuel Ex 8. It has 4 to 5 inches of travel. So I'd rather not go down any dh sections.

When would be a good time to pedal? We should come up w/ a tentative schedule. Maybe Thelma's, a Tundra rally, lunch and then a pedal? Or maybe stay over on Saturday and pedal on Sunday?

Not my actual bike, but it's just like this.

#84 ·
I have a Hard Tail -Gary Fisher Big Sur so no downhill for me :p
I was thinking a bike ride in the afternoon/evening sounds good. Right before the sun goes down. But good with whatever - will probably camp in one of the campgrounds up there on Friday night or depends on what everyone else is doing.

#92 ·
Thelmas is good, very nice atmosphere. 9AM sounds good, sleeping in for me is about 6am. I am heading up thursday night, family stuff friday morning. Friday afternoon I will hit up the discovery center for open trail maps. Also, if you park your truck on a trail, or just off it, have an adventure pass, big ticket if you don't. If you just chilling by the truck, no worries, but leaving it, no no. Also, bring a blanket to cover any ice chests in the truck cab, the bears do break windows to get to them.

Alright, Ill be back in the morning, gonna have a beer and play some rage, then sleepy time.

#93 ·
I'm down, this would be friggin sweet. None of the roads are hugging cliffs though are they? I'm a little girl when it comes to driving close to large drop offs. #JustKeepingitReal

I don't want this to be me......

or

#95 ·
There is a few cliff hanger roads, but they are wide, you will be okay.

An adventure pass is a way for the forestry department to legally extort our money so we can park trucks in the woods on the side of the road. I have never purchased one as they are alot nicer to locals, and I have never changed my license, so it still says fawnskin dr, fawnskin, ca 92333. lol

#100 ·
That's cool... I'll go for a hike... With my dogs though lol... They are my alarm...

Just in case of bears...

#102 ·
I believe you will be fine, you are a Nevada resident, the gun is registered to you in Nevada, your not bringing it here to sell, you'll be fine.

#107 ·
Problem is if you do a high clearance rear bumper and raise you hitch you see your spare. I have a bumper built by them but its not Aluminum. I have a tire gate so the spare is not in the stock location. I have yet to cut my fenders.
Here is a pic and I can get a better one if needed.

#110 · (Edited)
The problem is when you relocate the bumper/hitch up higher with a full spare you see half the tire. Its the first thing you catch off-roading instead of the hitch. Without cutting the fenders you will also catch those - I have hit both of mine dropping off into a wash. I used to us a 2 in rise hitch ball to pull my boat - now I have a 5 1/2 drop hitch and still a bit higher than before. So my guess is moving the hitch gained me about 7 to 8 inches of clearance. Now to cut the fenders but not sure what to do with the mud flaps because without them I throw rocks and don't want rocks flying like that when tearing thru the desert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.