Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Chromecast / AV Input / VIM

69K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Blender 
#1 · (Edited)
Chromecast / AV Input / VIM [2014+]

Disclaimer: This is what I did. I do not take responsibility for what you choose to do with this information.

Preview Video:

I was able to get chromecast running in my truck through the headunit, along with VehicleInMotion (for your passengers, of course!)
I assume similar installations could host DVD/BluRay / Amazon Fire TV / and other inputs

Parts Required:

A/V Input Harness (~$49)
--eBay
--looking for more...

USB Splitter (~$4)
--eBay
---note: One port provides power only, other allows file access and power

Google ChromeCast (~$35)
Google Store, Best Buy, Dept Store, etc...

HDMI to RCA Converter (~$30)
--HDMI Converter for ChromeCast
---note: I tried a cheaper HDMI2AV converter that claimed to do 1080p to RCA but it was a lie. Haven't found a cheaper one. This is the one that didn't work: link

Mobile Hotspot or Phone with Mobile Hotspot
--most phones have a mobile hotspot (aka tethering) function. you can also buy standalone hotspots to attach to your mobile data plan for generally ~$10/mo

Recommended:
USB/Aux Extension Cable ($~20)
--eBay
Switch for Vehicle in Motion (VSS / SPD Disconnect)
--AirOnBoard lighted GPS switch (~$30)
----or----
--Generic Switch (fit it yourself)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Tools Needed:
  • 10mm socket
  • Ratchet
  • 1 super long or 2 long/medium ratchet extensions
  • 1 male / 1 female quick disconnect / blue (medium gauge)
  • 2x 1.5ft 16-18ga wire
  • Clean Towel
  • 6pk Beer

Directions:
  1. Open the 2 cig lighter caps, pull on them til the lower portion of the Air Conditioning / Hazard light panel pops loose. Unplug everything and move the panel out of the way. Do not worry about where the wires go, it's pretty self explanatory.
  2. Use ratchet / 10mm socket / extensions to remove 4 bolts holding in the head unit.
  3. Place towel on dash, allowing to hang over slightly to protect your plastic.
  4. While holding headunit in one hand, Unplug all wires in headunit. Again, do not worry about where they came out, they can only fit in 1 slot.
  5. Place headunit on dash.
  6. Plug A/V input harness into the 28pin plug
  7. Disconnect the SPD wire and run your switch using the 2x 1.5ft 16-18ga wire
  8. (If using AirOnBoard switch, tap power/ground from neighboring cig lighter)
  9. Plug RCA Cables into harness (Should have come in the HDMI to RCA converter box)
  10. Route RCA cables to where you'd like to place chromecast. You can shove it all behind the A/C Control Panel, or in the shifter column, or all the way to your center console.
  11. (I routed to RCA to center console, and re-routed USB/AUX to center console using this)
  12. Split USB with Splitter on stock USB port, plug chromecast and HDMI to AV Converter into the power-only port, and your usual USB Connection / or blank / in the data side. (These are unmarked, so you will need to test which port is which).
  13. Re-connect the cables to the headunit
  14. Slide headunit into housing, carefully routing all of these extra cables so that it sits nicely.
  15. Route / Shove all cables somewhere while you test headunit.
  16. Once installed, you will now have an A/V option in your "Audio" section on the headunit.
  17. Touch the screen to adjust input size, I find Stretched works best for me (not fill). The normal input is not widescreen but looks good stretched.
  18. You will need a secondary device (smart phone, laptop, tablet) to connect the chromecast to your mobile hotspot initially - if the mobile hotspot is your normal cell phone. Use the chromecast app (smart device) or go to http://chromecast.com/setup (laptop)
  19. You should now be able to cast your (hosting or not) phone apps to chromecast.

Notes:
  • I have tested with NetFlix, YouTube, and AllCast, these work great. However, Casting your mobile screen itself does not work from the hotspot hosting device as chromecast app requires WiFi to be turned on, so I do not yet have a solution for Google Maps unless you use a second cell phone with GPS to drive it, or of course a stand-alone mobile hotspot.
  • Casting Video through your mobile data plan can use a lot of data in a hurry. NetFlix allows you to limit video quality per-profile. I setup a profile for my truck that casts "low quality video" to help with this.
  • AllCast allows play of video files saved onto your mobile device. This goes through wifi and does not use mobile data. I've casted entire movies this way.
  • I never enable my VSS / SPD switch, and GPS seems to work well for me. I do not condone installing this without a switch as my use has only been a couple months, altho I have found no ill effects.
  • Having this harness seems like a great purchase for anyone wanting to do Reverse Camera Anytime and/or Bluetooth/Navigation Lockout mods, as you can do all your wiring on the harness and avoid any "warranty" issues by being able to remove all modifications if it ever comes into question.
  • Crux makes a harness as well, it's more expensive, but allows HDMI input.
  • Crux makes a WiFi harness too, but it has limitations on iPhone casting netflix and youtube. (android works fine)

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thats GreaT. Thanks man

#7 ·
Awesome write up. I'm doing something similar - do you have any pics of how you mounted the RCA/HDMI inputs? I'm down to getting a sheet of plexiglass/abs and making my own. Can't find anything affordable/clean on the market. Wish somebody made a cheap media input panel, they seem to start at $50.

#8 ·
I just ziptied all my wires in the space under the cupholders, more of a hard mount. I don't intend to input any other devices- but if I did, i would be looking at custom making a media input panel as well.

#11 ·
Nice post and install man. I installed the CRUX Video Interface in my 2015 Crewmax... full phone mirroring for IOS or Android... pretty simple install

https://youtu.be/1qt4P0SwV28

Here's a clip of me driving with vehicle in motion bypass engaged.

https://youtu.be/rab6pQwJaq4

#17 ·
I love this idea as I use 2 chromecast's at home. I like that with them you dont have to stay within that app and can even shut your device off and it still displays it on the other screen. So I have a couple questions with this...

1) Have you figured out a way to cast the screen onto the headunit for Google maps, etc?
2) If you cast the screen and turn the phone off, is there a way around the headunit screen not showing the cast anymore?

I really want to find a way to have Android Auto in my truck on a 7-8" screen (headunit), but haven't figured it out yet. I have a aftermarket Pioneer headunit right now that doesn't have the Android Auto but does have mirrorcast (haven't gotten it to work).

Great idea and great work on this by the way!

#18 ·
1. Yes you can cast Google maps by screen casting. I've been able to do it via phone hotspot or separate hotspot. This is only a screen share with Chromecast, so touch functionality does not work.

2. If you are screen casting (not cast enabled app casting), the screen has to be on. Due to this, I really only use cast apps, and use my phone upside down in the cup holder with charge cable connected for GPS, through Waze or Google maps.

I agree android auto would be cool and plan to dig into it further when my current head unit is outdated. I really never use the entune nav. I have beef with entune being slow and clunky but it's fine for now.

I've done minimal research with miracast but understand it could be a cool integration.

#20 ·
Any comments on the ebayer's product -

"Note! After this cable connection the OEM microphone of OEM BT-HandFree will work the same way as before (if it has been installed). if there is no OEM microphone in your car, you will need the AV cable with microphone. Please, contact the manager to purchase that cable (or leave the comments in the order)."

I have the CM LTD Entune Premium with the voice button on the steering wheel, will this affect this functionality?

#21 ·
It will work the same as before. The seller is letting you know that- if you don't already have a mic, you can add one if you wish. You can tell english is not their first language, but the product they put out is definitely high-quality.

#23 ·
I'm not sure if it's the same harness as JBL or year model differences. I do know this works on 14-16 entune's with or without navi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.