Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Katzkin leather diy install

67K views 80 replies 39 participants last post by  dvader 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
As with any DIY Thread of this size, I am sure something has been left out.
I will continue to edit as I see needed..

I have pulled pics from two different CrewMax installs with same pattern schematics to ensure full coverage.

#1 Be sure to disconnect your battery to prevent any accidental airbag deployment!! PRIOR to doing this lean Drivers seat all the way back, this will be helpful later in this install.

Here is a look at the Installation tools needed:
Hog Rings, Hog Ring Pliers and Silicon Spray

I would reccommend starting on the smaller /40 of the rear seat. This is your easiest seat and the best time to become familiar with your new tools.
After removing this seat remove the 4 phillips screws that hold the back plastic panel in place.

Then carefully pry on the 2 retaining clips on both the L/R side of this panel as shown

Remove the 2 screws that hold the lean lever on

You are now ready to remove your existing cloth. This is done by releasing several channel strips and hog rings. Be sure to mentally note the placement of these strips/rings as your new leather will be fastened in the same manner. You may find it easier to twist the hog rings while removing as opposed to cutting them.

Remove Headrest Post Tubes by squeezing the tabs and pulling out. Again NOTE the position of each tube.

You will now grab and smell :) the appropriate replacement cover. Silicone Spray BOTH the foam seat and foam Katzkin liner. I have found it easiest to turn each cover inside out and attach the necc. hog rings in an order that makes getting to them easier, working from the inside of the seat outwards. You will then attach the channel strips to the same location on the bottom of the seat as you had removed.

Install your seat belts just as they were removed.

The rear lean backs are removed/installed in the same manner. The lean back levers require a lil patience reinstalling over the leather. You will have to work the leather to where it is comfortable and not binding. You may also be tempted to trim however I would not as this takes away from the integrity and warranty of your kit. You will then hog ring your way down the seat just as you did the cushion and then wrap the sides with a series of even more hog rings and channel strips.

The rear armrest is then removed by removing (3) 10mm nuts that hold it to the frame

Remove pivot bracket with either appropriate torx bit OR a pair of vice grips.

With a FIRM tug, release the cup holder from the side shown and set it aside.

Release the cloth clips and remove the cloth from the armrest. Turn replacement cover inside out and spray both the foam rest and cover liberally. Starting from top roll this bad boy down and massage it til its tight and even. Attach the two channel strips and snap in cupholder.

Reattach pivot bracket, align holes in frame, cut 3 holes in the material and reinstall finished armrest. Now finish wrapping the lean back with hog rings and channel strips.

Secure Seat Belts.

Once wrapped you will now need to determine the headrest post placement. This can be done by pushing your thumb/finger down to feel the socket. Once determined (double check) then cut a 3/4" hole through both the leather and foam. This will give the head rest tube enough room to properly seat with no internal exposure.

Now onto the front seating!
IMPORTANT: If your Tundra is equipped with Power seats, I would suggest leaning them all the way back in the reclined position prior to removing.

DISCONNECT BATTERY
Unplug all underseat wiring

Once removed you can now remove all the plastic seat surrounds with a few phillips head screws.

Now you can begin to remove the factory cloth just as you did the rears.
The front seats each contain (2) large vertical rods that are secured by a hog ring at the bottom of the lean back. Remove this hog ring first then slide the rods out of the sleeve sewn into the seat.

Roll up remaining cloth and disconnect the (2) Side seat airbag plates by removing just (1) 10mm hex nut.
BE SURE TO NOTE POSITION OF BOTH THE PLATES AND RIBBON THAT IS CONNECTED TO THE COVER.
When reinstalling you obviously want to keep this same order to ensure proper airbag deployment.

See less See more
#12 ·
Nice work JHuey -

#13 ·
Sub'd.

#14 ·
Sub'd

#16 ·
Hey John can you tell me what gauge wire I need to run for the rear heaters.

Brendan

#18 ·
So should I run front and backs to my fuse panel under the hood?

#20 ·
Before I go to far and ruin something, does anyone have an easy way of removing the cloth from the headrest?

I am looking at them and the seem to be glued and somewhat sewn together over the foam.

#22 ·
ok that makes more sense from what I was seeing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.