Parts That Increase Gas Mileage - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Parts That Increase Gas Mileage

I have a 2000 model Tundra with the 4.7 Liter V8. I have read about the throttle body spacers that you bolt on that are supposed to increase the gas mileage from 2 to 6 mpg. Has anyone installed one of these and had any level of success on their Tundra with a 4.7 Liter engine? Also if you intall larger tires and you change the gear ratio which lowers your top end RPM's has anyone gotten better mileage? I had a Jeep in the past with 33" tires and on the highway/interstate it would get close to 30 miles to the gallon due to the bigger tires and decreased RPM's. The tuner computers you can buy for Tundras also boast that gas mileage will be increased. Any luck with these? Lastly does a K&N filter help any with mileage? I have to drive about 40 miles on the interstate to my hunting club and I would love to increase the top end fuel economy.

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tape a raw egg to the accelerator pedal. That will prevent you from pushing down very hard. That is the only "part" that is guaranteed to work. The rest of the things you mentioned are mainly good at lightening your wallet.

If you increase tire diameter and don't recalibrate your speedometer/odometer, you cannot determine your true mpg, so any calculations you make are incorrect anyway.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Banned

Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,070 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I have heard nasty things about 'spacers' and those 'tornado' things. Also, magnets for the fuel line, water injection and a slew of things.

Air intakes, by their own dyno charts, don't make any difference at all until 2,500 RPM and up and, as you said, you don't drive there.

I just took pichers of the exhaust of my 06 4.7 and son-of-a-gun if it doesn't already have 'mandrell bent' twists and turns as well as maybe a tuned exhaust manifold.
So, methinks there is not a lot that can be done to improve the in-and-out breathing without investing a bunch of money and that doesn't make sense.

I just installed Michelin LT 265/75R 16 tires. Someone, responding to my post on one of the sites told me to multiply the final MPG by 1.0308 to account for the larger diameter. Not enough miles to know for sure, but it seems I've picked up 1/2 mile.

I think the mileage is pretty much set by the computer and, without doing some adjusting of the parameters, our MPG will stay right at the 17 to 18 range.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006