Ivan Stewart Tundras- Facts and History - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Ivan Stewart Tundras- Facts and History

I have posted in the general threads about facts and details for the Ivan Stewart Tundra, but, wanted to devote a thread to it, to keep it easier to find for members. As a numbers guy and First Gen owner, I follow them closely.

First, let's look at total sales for the Tundras in the First Gen era.

First the sales: For a pure Ivan Stewart edition, there were only about an average of 2000 sold per year in 2000-2002. The sales numbers below include all Tundra models to give you an idea of Tundras out there.

US Market *calendar year
Year Sales
2000 100,445
2001 108,863
2002 99,333
2003 101,316
2004 112,484
2005 126,529
2006 124,508

The Ivan Stewart was built from a Tundra Limited 4x4 base model. The options were added from there. A fully loaded IS Tundra was at MSRP 45,000 which was a crazy price at the time. The IS exterior package was about $4,000 at the time. This included all of the exterior body panels, like grill, bumper cover, mirror covers, and graphics. (crazy over price). This is important because in 2003 they offered these at fire sale prices. The packages were sold then for about $600 complete. I know, because I bought one for my Tundra. What happened, is that some people with 4x2 bought kits. Some people with SR5's bought kits. That meant that we now had a lot of partial conversions looking like the pure IS version. It does not take away from the look on the partial setups, just important to note there are more out there than the original versions.

I have a 2000 Tundra Limited built to exact specs for a IS and then I added from there. It is not an original, but, it is copied to spec, except for the SC which I am still looking for.

Here is a link describing the features and options back when in 2002.

PickupTruck.Com Road Test - Pumping Iron: Toyota Honors a Winner with the Ivan Stewart Signature Edition Tundra

Hope this is helpful for those that want to know more about the IS Tundra.

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD 4x4 in Red Pearl.

New England Tundra Club Member #3

Forced Induction Club #13

Last edited by jbtoy1; 07-20-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So are you saying that If my IS tundra is an SR5 , then its not a "true" IS ? How do you know if its "true" or not? Yours is flipping sweet BTW.

2002 Toyota Tundra Ivan Stewart Signature Edition. K&N air intake system, Dual TRD exhaust, Limited slip rear diff., nitrous shocks
#3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:34 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeddog1 View Post
So are you saying that If my IS tundra is an SR5 , then its not a "true" IS ? How do you know if its "true" or not? Yours is flipping sweet BTW.
Thanks. As I posted, your ride is sure very clean and looking good. I like what I see.

Unless the original owner has paperwork/sales WO, the VIN should be enough for you to trace.

Based on what is published and the specs for each year of the IS, almost every model built was full featured, except for SC option. If you have a SR5, it is probably a conversion. You have all of the right pcs on the outside that I can see, but your side moldings should be color keyed.

Other clues to look at: What interior do you have in your ride? Do you have the TRD interior? Do you have the carbon fiber/wood grain look on the dash and doors? What shocks do you have as color (assuming factory are still there)? Badges and decals could have been removed, but, not sure why someone would do that when they paid all of that extra money in the first place to have an IS version. I am not an expert, but, I am a trivia buff and I lived the IS era when I bought my Toy in 2000. Anything is possible when it comes to factory builds and how people ordered them, but, I would expect most options to be installed for the IS back then. Every IS I saw back then, was built this way. Here is another link to the 2002 launch of the IS Tundra at the Sema show and introduction of the supercharger. Hope this gives a little more detail.

PickupTruck.Com - 36th Annual SEMA Show - 2002 TOYOTA TRD SUPERCHARGED TUNDRA

Last edited by jbtoy1; 07-20-2009 at 09:43 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:36 PM

I have cloth interior with black floor mats w/ red TRD embroiderey. also has the IS plate in the dash under the radio. dash is just basic black, not carbon fiber or anything fancy. my shocks are red in color. and my side moldings? what do you mean by color keyed? anyway, here is a (not so great) pic of my interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg craig.jpg (147.8 KB, 33 views)

2002 Toyota Tundra Ivan Stewart Signature Edition. K&N air intake system, Dual TRD exhaust, Limited slip rear diff., nitrous shocks
#5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I have cloth interior with black floor mats w/ red TRD embroiderey. also has the IS plate in the dash under the radio. dash is just basic black, not carbon fiber or anything fancy. my shocks are red in color. and my side moldings? what do you mean by color keyed? anyway, here is a (not so great) pic of my interior.
The door moldings are supposed to be painted the same color as the truck, that is the color match I was referring to. The SR5 had black/grey regardless of the truck color. The Limited and Ivans were always color matched to the truck. The interior looks classic SR5 to me. As I said, anything is possible, but, it looks like a very nice conversion based on what is seen. How was the truck listed for sale btw? Did you buy from previous owner or a dealer?

#6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Iím still yet to find a dealer or individual that can tell me my truck is or is not a true blue Ivan Stewart Edition. I have all options minus the Limited, SC, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, exterior decals and paint match paneling. Other than that it is all there. It was possible to buy the package without these upgrades from my understanding. Now I could be wrong, but again this is what I have found in my search for the answer.

Iíve told you on many occasions John and Smeed ill tell you now. You both have very nice trucks! Smeed you are the first truck ive seen that is identical to mine Ė minus the few upgrades I have done

O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake America
#7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtoy1 View Post
The door moldings are supposed to be painted the same color as the truck, that is the color match I was referring to. The SR5 had black/grey regardless of the truck color. The Limited and Ivans were always color matched to the truck. The interior looks classic SR5 to me. As I said, anything is possible, but, it looks like a very nice conversion based on what is seen. How was the truck listed for sale btw? Did you buy from previous owner or a dealer?
Yeah, my door panels are just basic sr5 gray. I actually bought it from a guy on craigslist. But he bought it new at the dealer and picked the features he wanted and didn't want. I have all the records from his original purchase. When I get home I'll check the paperwork I have and let you know what I find.

#8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman02 View Post
Iím still yet to find a dealer or individual that can tell me my truck is or is not a true blue Ivan Stewart Edition. I have all options minus the Limited, SC, TRD exhaust, TRD intake, exterior decals and paint match paneling. Other than that it is all there. It was possible to buy the package without these upgrades from my understanding. Now I could be wrong, but again this is what I have found in my search for the answer.

Iíve told you on many occasions John and Smeed ill tell you now. You both have very nice trucks! Smeed you are the first truck ive seen that is identical to mine Ė minus the few upgrades I have done
Yeah, I was told that you could pick what options you wanted or didn't want depending how much you wanted to spend. Hopefully this is the case for us. I wish it had the super charger but its plenty quick. So what kind of intake do you have? Mine is a full K&N intake (not just the air filter). My exhaust is a single in dual out TRD exhaust. Its ok, but I have an x-pipe and 2 magnaflows just itching to be installed. For now I just cut out the resonators (I had 2, some only have 1) and it sounds a little meaner, so I'm just enjoying that for now until I finally get motivated to install the rest. I'll keep you guys updated. I've done a few fun mods myself on my truck. I'll show u some pics if you want. I like your grill-guard and KC light set up. I cant seem to find one that doesn't interfere with my front bumper . Did u do that, or did it come with the truck?

#9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was told that you could pick what options you wanted or didn't want depending how much you wanted to spend. Hopefully this is the case for us. I wish it had the super charger but its plenty quick. So what kind of intake do you have? Mine is a full K&N intake (not just the air filter). My exhaust is a single in dual out TRD exhaust. Its ok, but I have an x-pipe and 2 magnaflows just itching to be installed. For now I just cut out the resonators (I had 2, some only have 1) and it sounds a little meaner, so I'm just enjoying that for now until I finally get motivated to install the rest. I'll keep you guys updated. I've done a few fun mods myself on my truck. I'll show u some pics if you want. I like your grill-guard and KC light set up. I cant seem to find one that doesn't interfere with my front bumper . Did u do that, or did it come with the truck?
Sorry for miss spelling your name in prior post. Thank you for the complements

I have the S&B CAI, Defiant prerunner, Hella Black Magic lights w/ 100w bulbs, Energy Suspension P/S rack bushings (Polly) and a few other things not listed. This truck is mostly stock for now.

I am riding the fence about an SAS setup for the Tundra, but for thousands less i could build a sweet CJ5 buggy and do some intense rock crawling. I like to do all my own fab/ work on truck, so im just taking my time.

BTW would you be interested in a set of Q-Logic kick panels? I have a brand new set for sale. Let me know.

Here is the link to the company where i got my prerunner:
Defiant Truck Products - - TOYOTA - LIGHT BARS

O.B.A.M.A. = One Big Ass Mistake America
#10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry for miss spelling your name in prior post.

BTW would you be interested in a set of Q-Logic kick panels? I have a brand new set for sale. Let me know.
no worries . send me a pic and I'll see if its something I would want.

#11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I’m still yet to find a dealer or individual that can tell me my truck is or is not a true blue Ivan Stewart Edition. I have all options minus the Limited.....
Not too many dealers know what they are selling, just walk in and ask some basic questions. They have no idea about the features and options with Tundras. Go into the history of the First Gen, and you lose them quick. I remember being at a dealership last year checking out the 2008 Tundras. Salesman tells me that Tundra is now number 1 in sales. I say...you are kidding right? Tundra is a great product, but, they are #4 in sales. Want proof? The Ivan was built on the Limited platform, unless I have loss all memory. That means, your door moldings will be color matched because that is how the Limited was made and that is how they sold this baby. Here are the min specs for the Ivan. The rest were optional. I have more data and pics to show how it came together. The Ivans were not sold stripped. I know, I was at NH Performance Center constantly to check them out in 2001-2002.

2002 Toyota TRD Ivan Stewart Edition Tundra Specs

Exterior Features
- Monochromatic Body Package
- Wide lip fender flares with integrated mudguards
- One piece grille surrounded with charcoal mesh insert
- Matching mirror covers
- Available in all factory colors

Wheel and Tire Set
- 5 spoke aluminum wheels
- Light weight, pressure cast one piece design
- Rugged BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A tires

Shocks
- Special for TRD by Bilstein
- Nitrogen pressurized, self adjusting, rising rate, mono-tube design

Exclusive Ivan Stewart Badging
- Signature edition graphics
- TRD floormats
- Interior dash plaque

Optional TRD Sports Parts
- Stainless steel dual outlet exhaust
- Exhaust increases horsepower by 6hp
- 4.7L V8 headers
- Header horsepower gain of 13.9hp @ 4270rpm
- Header torque gain of 18.7ft-lb @ 2780rpm
- 50 state smog legal

Luxury Sport Interior
- Contoured, leather trimmed seats
- Super high gloss, real carbon fiber interior trim set
- Exclusive exterior badging and windshield banner

Limited Slip Differential
- Eaton Posi design
- Unique 3 pinion configuration
- Race bred carbon friction discs

4.7L V8 Prototype TRD Supercharger System
- Boost pressure, 4 lbs.
- 35-40% increase in horsepower and torque
- Available 1st quarter 2002.

Quote:
Yeah, I was told that you could pick what options you wanted or didn't want depending how much you wanted to spend. ...I'll keep you guys updated.
Yes, sort of. But port of call options for Ivans were done and install to justify the cost at the time. Ivans did not come as partial packages, that is all.

Guys, we all drive Tundras and different versions of the First Gen. They are all cool. I only present the facts and history as I see and know it. Not saying who has a Ivan or not, but, I know what the original Ivans were like in 2000-2002. I only post the info to help people learn more about the First Gen Tundra!!!

Still one of my favorite pics. The Ivan launch of the SC!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sctundra5_480.jpg (35.2 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by jbtoy1; 07-23-2009 at 07:41 AM.
#12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtoy1 View Post
Still one of my favorite pics. The Ivan launch of the SC!!!!!!!!!!
That's from the Vegas SEMA show right? I recognize that from an article I read many moons ago.

#13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
That's from the Vegas SEMA show right? I recognize that from an article I read many moons ago.
Yup! Nice looking lady there!

#14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:07 PM

quik question jb, How did you remove the backs of the rear seats to mount the amps? I've been wanting to do the same kind of thing but didn't want to damage anything.

#15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
quik question jb, How did you remove the backs of the rear seats to mount the amps? I've been wanting to do the same kind of thing but didn't want to damage anything.
Lift up your bottom back seat and notice the bolt hardware like this. This setup applies to at least 2000-2003. It may be different on the DC's beginning in 2004. I have red bushings as part of a "back seat" mod done many years ago that moves it out to change the angle a little. It is not needed to do it this way, but, also gives a little more clearance for the amps on the back wall. You have this on both sides of the rear seat. After that, pull up the seat as it is resting on hooks on the back wall. This is easier to do with a helper on one side and you on the other and lift together. You will not damage anything this way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backseat.jpg (145.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jbtoy1; 07-25-2009 at 05:16 PM.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006