User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
valve noise when cold

I've noticed a couple times when my truck is cold (4.7 w87k mi) I get a little valve train noise, like a loose rocker. It doesn't sound like an old type writer or anything, just like one valve is loose. Does anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Do you know that our engines do not have hydraulic lifters? There is a valve clearance spec on an underhood sticker. Doing a tappet adjustment on a four-cam, 32 valve engine is not simple or cheap, so you might want to live with it.

The other possibility is an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Many times that will sound just like a valve tick. As the engine warms up the parts expand and the leak goes away. Just something else to check.

Last edited by nikita; 10-22-2008 at 12:56 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
Do you know that our engines do not have hydraulic lifters? There is a valve clearance spec on an underhood sticker. Doing a tappet adjustment on a four-cam, 32 valve engine is not simple or cheap, so you might want to live with it.

The other possibility is an exhaust manifold gasket leak. Many times that will sound just like a valve tick. As the engine warms up the parts expand and the leak goes away. Just something else to check.

ditto.....
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm not thinking about adjusting the valves, just want to know if anyone else gets a little noise when the engine's cold.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:31 PM

4.7 Tundras have had this condition since 2000. It is piston slap, and is nothing to worry about.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 AM

magic stuff

Put 8 oz of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL in the crankcase, 10 oz of LUCAS upper cylinder lube in the gas, burn-off half a tank and repeat. Change oil, change gas and air filters, add ~10 oz LUCAS to gas. Do the valve adjust if needed, or if you don't know for sure. Get someone to scope/analyze the engine for ignition problems (plugs/wires). If that doesn't fixit, trade-in on a new Tundra (jk)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Explain exactly what MMO and LUCAS is supposed to correct and how in this specific case. Sorry, but this sounds like an old-time shotgun approach rather than diagnosis of a problem and a specific repair.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
"Stugots"
Premium Member

Dont worry about adding anything for its a waste of time and mnoney,acatv answered this correctly, Its normal ,,,,, not to worry about it.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita View Post
Explain exactly what MMO and LUCAS is supposed to correct and how in this specific case. Sorry, but this sounds like an old-time shotgun approach rather than diagnosis of a problem and a specific repair.
Old time/shotgun... that's bad...how? I've used MMO for rough/clattering engines several times and it worked every time. When it works you've got a diagnosis AND a fix. If not, you've got bigger problems than the cost of snake oil. It's mostly solvents, detergents, and high film-strength oil that are relatively stable - enough to turn new oil black/nasty in minutes. They used it in the long-distance bombers of WWII to keep the engines running right with overdue servicing and bad fuel. I started using Lucas upper cylinder lube in the 04Titan and got better mileage, quiet valves, and better throttle response. The Tundra likes it too. (4-6 oz each fillup). Check the motorcycle forums. They're full of snake oil, but the favorites are MMO and Seafoam. I've used Seafoam in mowers that were carbon-fouled with excellent results. It REMOVES varnish/gum/sludge so effectively that I wouldn't use it in an engine I couldn't replace or rebuild. Maybe some of the race-people can add to this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM

MMO was sometimes used succesfully in aircraft engines for a specific reason that does not apply to this situation, lead deposits on valve stems.

If you are worried about deposits, I suggest using a top-tier gasoline, like Chevron or Shell, without any additional additives.

The noises that Tundra V-8's seem to have had two causes, excessive valve lash or exhaust manifold leaks. No oil or gasoline additive can correct those problems.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 03:11 AM

We could go on and on about this...my final word is buy it, use it, and make your own evaluation. Consumer Reports isn't always right...they didn't like Tundras, either. addendum:just last week my neighbor was pissed about bad gas (from a Chevron station)..the 90-something Buick Roadmaster was smoking, stumbling, idling rough. I put ~10 oz MMO in my gallon of chainsaw gas and dumped it in. 1 trip around the block (8 mi) and the old girl runs nice...nuff sed. bye
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:15 PM

I hope it wasn't gas mixed with 2 cycle oil LOL
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatv View Post
4.7 Tundras have had this condition since 2000. It is piston slap, and is nothing to worry about.
piston slap.WHATS THAT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.