Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Performance Mods?

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  c_evans_008 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 2000 tundra with the 4.7

I am looking at some performance mods I can do to get some more power out of it. I currently just have a custom cai, gutted the cats and put a magnaflow muffler on it with the stock exhaust.

Is there any kind of gain from putting bigger exhaust piping or running true duels? Intake upgrade? Cam? I also am wanting a custom PCM tune. Anyone y'all recommend.

I don't know much about tundra's and what options that are out there for them.

also what kind of rear ends do these trucks come with? I was told it has 3.90s but are they limited slip? Mine only seems to spin one tire.

#3 ·
I added some pin stripes and I think I got about 10 HP out of it. Can't wait till I do the head unit upgrade. I expect big things...>:D

I can say that I added some shorty headers https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-2010s and it nothing significant. However, I also have factory Cats and some hillbilly piping going on downstream including a significant flow blockage due to having the old O2 sensor still stuck in the pipe and a new O2 sensor right next to it (whoever thought it was a good idea to put 10mm studs on an exhaust pipe should be flogged). I only did the headers because the frame was being changed and the engine was easily exposed. In the future, I will probably invest in a new pipe and some high flow cats since I have echeck :(

From what I've read, the long headers are what you want and there is a guy on here (that I can't remember) who can hook you up nice. I'm sure you will find it as you look around other forums.

Planetary gear is the weak link of the drive train. Pistons are the weak link of the engine. If you want performance, replace the trans (or have one handy) from a 2003-2005 I think when the planetary gear was upgraded. Forced induction over 5 psi will require an engine rebuild with upgraded rods.

Also, the front brake calipers are undersized. That was also upgrades in 2003-2005. 13WL calipers will bolt on to your truck but may have wheel clearance issues depending on the wheels you have. There is also a mod kit you can buy to convert your rear drums to disks. It's a $500 plate and then you can equip 2008 Sequoia brakes onto it. Not sure how that affects brake balance though. But stopping isn't nearly as important as going fast. :D

You can always find the rare used superchargers for ~$6,000 plus another ~$1,000 to rebuild.

Big power equals big money...

#4 ·
Supercharger if you can get your hands on it or a custom turbo setup are really your only options for noticeable power increase. @dirtydeeds turbo'd his first gen and may have more insight.

#5 ·
It's true. I can help. Stans long tubes. Bamufflers dual race exhaust. =30hp and 30tq to the ground.

Throttle body coolant bypass. Sabm. Electric fan. All are free/cheap if you do em yourself.

Gearing puts the power band in a more useable part of where you're using the truck.

There is a ton you can do. Feel free to give a call with any questions and for more details.

Dirty Deeds Industries - Performance Sound with the Drone

#6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

@dirtydeeds I modified the stock air box and installed electric fans. I took the cats off and put a single in single out magnaflow muffler.

I have been doing some reading and found out that other models came with lower gears and LSDs. I have 3.90s and an open diff. I read that the V6s came with a diff that had 4.30s and a LSD. Is that true and if so would I be able to bolt one of those up to mine with no issues? I know my speedometer would be off and to fix that is there any one that offers some kind of tuning? I read Jet offers it but yuh have to send your pcm in. Is it worth it? Honestly without having someone being about to tune the truck I will not be able to get the full affect out of really any mods I do.

Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.