Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

2002 Tundra 4.7L Head Gasket Replacement Help/Tips

13K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  thinshavings 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm getting ready to pull the head off my 2002 Tundra (blew a gasket). Bought a Haynes manual, and have tried to do as much online research as I could this past day or two. The plan is to also replace the timing belt & water pump since I'll be working in there already. My question is if anyone has any tips, tricks, or advise. I would love it if there was a YouTube video or something but there isn't one and I've searched in the forum here but haven't found anything super helpful.

Thank you all and and advise/tips are greatly appreciated

#2 · (Edited)
Hey dude, I can send you the OEM procedure. I'd steer clear of Haynes manuals for serious work like the head gasket and timing belt. In fact, I tell people to avoid the Haynes and Chilton manuals altogether. I'll try to download the PDFs tonight and get them to you tomorrow.

My tip is to take plenty of pics as you disassemble it. This is an excellent opportunity for quality bonding time between you and your female.
:)
Mark hoses and wires even if you think it will be easy to remember where they go. You could get the head off and realize it needs to be replaced, or something else could happen that delays the reassembly. Little things are easy to forget.
Be sure it's in time before removing the belt. Seems obvious, but double check it before pulling the old belt off.
I'd replace the tensioner while I was in there. ContiTech sells a nice, high quality kit that includes the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, etc.

#4 ·
Hey dude, I can send you the OEM procedure. I'd steer clear of Haynes manuals for serious work like the head gasket and timing belt. In fact, I tell people to avoid the Haynes and Chilton manuals altogether. I'll try to download the PDFs tonight and get them to you tomorrow.

My tip is to take plenty of pics as you disassemble it. This is an excellent opportunity for quality bonding time between you and your female.
:)
Mark hoses and wires even if you think it will be easy to remember where they go. You could get the head off and realize it needs to be replaced, or something else could happen that delays the reassembly. Little things are easy to forget.
Be sure it's in time before removing the belt. Seems obvious, but double check it before pulling the old belt off.
I'd replace the tensioner while I was in there. ContiTech sells a nice, high quality kit that includes the water pump, timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, etc.
Is there anyway you could send me the OEM procedure as well? I am currently working on the same problem.
Thanks

#10 ·
Hello all, I'm getting ready to pull the head off my 2002 Tundra (blew a gasket). Bought a Haynes manual, and have tried to do as much online research as I could this past day or two. The plan is to also replace the timing belt & water pump since I'll be working in there already. My question is if anyone has any tips, tricks, or advise. I would love it if there was a YouTube video or something but there isn't one and I've searched in the forum here but haven't found anything super helpful.

Thank you all and and advise/tips are greatly appreciated
I believe The Car Care Nut on Youtube has done a HG on the 2UZFE