Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

biggest tire size on stock '05

101K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  LordBoy83 
#1 ·
hi guys, im look to put a new set if tires on my 2005 4x4, what is the largest tire i can fit on a stock truck? also, are those 2.5 kits worth it? will it effect my truck as a daily driver?
thanks
mike

#2 ·
Depending on your rim size. 16"=265-75-16. 17"=265-70-17. If you do a 2" lift you can go bigger. Since you are keeping it as daily driver the spacer lift is alright, but if you do serious off-roading then you should look into coilovers. You will need a 4wd diff drop it usually comes with the lift. The spacer lifts will make the ride stiffer, while the coilovers will retain the stock ride quality. Both are great products just depends on how you drive. The biggest difference you'll notice is when you put bigger tires, like say a 285, 295, or bigger.

#4 ·
Stock height 265-75-16 tallest without issues. 2.5" lift in front you can go bigger but you need new rims with different backspacing. The 285's and larger tires on the stock rims will only work with spacers/adapters (they rub on UCA). If you do add the lift you are in luck though, since you have 16's you can get 255-85-16 and they won't rub on the UCA. That is a 33" tall tire. BFG makes it in Mud-Terrain.

#7 ·
With your lift you can go:

265-70-17 31"
275-70-17 32"

You can go 285-70-17 or 295-70-17, but you will need wheel adapters/spacers to clear the UCA.

285-70-17 32.5"
295-70-17 33"

Reactions: 06dblecab
#8 ·
kit:
What and where do you get these spacers? My tire dealer pleaded ignorance when I mentioned them. How do they install?

#9 ·
^ Well if you are going to keep the stock rims then you will need them. Try these places:

Spidertrax (They are sold out currently just keep checking back with them)
*They are lug centric and hub centric so install is easier.
Hub Centric (Late Model)

Marlin Crawler (They are lug centric not hubcentric)
*They work fine just have to install carefully and tighten carefully.

Marlin Crawler : Heavy Duty Axle Parts and Accessories

#15 ·
hey fishin101

Hey fishin101, I'm looking at buying a 2006 crew cab tundra....On that FatBobsGarage kit, I was looking at them on eBay and they get a good price on them but did you use a t-case drop on yours or did you just bolt the spacers and ADL's on and roll? I wanna get around 3" on this one if I buy it, big enough to run 33"s hopefully. No hardcore wheeling, it'll be a daily driver truck and wont see alot of offroad use other than on hunting trips and then it still wont be anything to nasty.

#16 ·
Hey 88rxn/a, they're Helo 842's, 16"x8" and I don't believe they were offset. I bought 'em on ebay for about $450 plus shipping. I love them and get a lot of compliments.

J-Daddy, I wish I could say that I put the kit on myself but I had the guys at the tire shop do it. I'm pretty sure they just bolted on the spacers and the leaf springs. The 33's fit great and don't rub at all.

#17 · (Edited)
thanks so much for the reply!
i was begining to think you quit this forum....
im having trouble finding them...
perhaps you could provide a link?
they are very nice rims and a good price to!

EDIT:
are these it?
eBay Motors: 16 Inch Black Wheels HELO 842 Rim 6 lug Chevy GMC Truck (item 200307537235 end time Feb-28-09 09:56:38 PST)

DOUBLE EDIT:
I'm pretty sure they just bolted on the spacers and the leaf springs. The 33's fit great and don't rub at all.

im not sure what you mean by the leaf springs?
i thought you just used the spacers and thats it?
sorry so many questions....
im trying to get this right the first time and your setup is perfect to me!

#18 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was on vacation for the last two weeks and the last thing on my mind was logging on. Yep, those are the rims but I'm not sure about the lug pattern. The ones I ordered specified tundra, it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask if they'll fit. The leveling kit I bought had two extra, small leaf springs to add to the rear suspension as well as the spacers. This is a similar kit by the same shop, you can see the springs.

eBay Motors: Toyota Tundra 3" Lift & Leveling Kit 1999-2006 4WD/2WD (item 260367834621 end time Mar-03-09 20:00:00 PST)

I hope this helps. Good luck with the rims, they're sweet!

#19 ·
88rxn/a ! Dude! I know this is off toppic but that has gotta be the coolest truck bed box I've ever seen!!! Whats it made from? and is that spray-in bed liner on it?

#22 ·
so the conclusion to this thread is that if you want to run 33"s you need a Front 3"/Rear 2" lift level kit and your rims need a 4.5" offset or you have to run hub centric spacers on a wheel with factory offset. Am I getting this?

Also, to avoid problems in the future I am reading you want to replace the clamps on your axle boots when you do the lift because they will leak grease and potentially cause bigger problems if you don't

I just bought an 01' Tundra 4x4 and want to run 33" tires but I want to drive it hard at the dunes. what is a good coil over kit that will allow me to run 33" tires?

#23 ·
There's a bunch of quality coilovers. Sway-A-Way, Fox, Pro Comp, Camburg, and Bilstien. Check those out and there's a couple others but once you see these you'll see others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.