Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Need Tires Soon

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  TundraDawg82 
#1 ·
I am going to need tires soon. What's a good all around tire for a first generation tundra? I was looking
at firestone dest...... 265 70 16. Anyone using them or has used them I would like to hear some input on
them. Thanks edlkll

#2 · (Edited)
I had those on my tundra, they really sucked for traction but we're super quiet.

If you do a lot of highway go with Michelin ltx ms2, if you want slightly more aggressive go with ltx at2

#8 · (Edited)
FWIW, I have had mixed experience with the LTX-AT2. on my '07 Tundra, I replaced the stock (can't remember what those were) at about 40k, and put on the LTX-AT2. they were great. I put about 30k on them and they looked like they had maybe 10k when I traded the truck in for a 2011 f250. Coincidentally, that truck came with the exact same tires. different size (20" and a bit taller vs 18") but still the LTX-AT2. I thought "great, these should last me a while". Wrong. I replaced them at 13,500 miles because they were throwing chunks of tread. pieces of the tire literally flew off! granted, I was towing my 5er... but to get a low pressure warning 300 miles from home with 12,000 lbs of trailer behind you is disturbing. then when inspecting the tires, to find 3-4 tread blocks had just vanished... on each of the rear tires... well that was downright scary.

I'm not saying they are bad tires, but I did have a pretty bad experience. just some info i thought would be helpful.

edit: I thought I should mention that since it happened so early, Michelin did offer me a credit towards some other Michelin tires. I think it was about $350 total. I put on BFG AT-KO and they happily did 35k miles before I swapped them out.

#3 ·
This is any man's game.

I liked Yokohama ATS overall, good traction, good in rain, good off road, super long tread life.
BFG all terrains are pretty much the standard.
Lots of other good tires are available bit I've tried those.

#6 ·
Can't go wrong with Michelins for sure, but if you're looking for a cheaper all terrain alternative that's good year round you should take a good look at General Grabber AT2's. I've had great luck with them in the past and they're one of the better all terrains I've tried in winter driving conditions.

#7 ·
Last set of firestones I rode in were super loud and annoying. I would go michelin if between those two.

#9 ·
Simpletire.com is one of the cheapest sites out there. If you have a local place that installs and balances tires cheaply (like I do), you can get good tires cheap. I have Mastercraft Courser HSX. Nice smooth all-season tire, gets me where I need to.

#10 ·
I have Cooper Discoverer ATR on mine. I have had good luck with Coopers or Falkens and rather not pay more for Michelin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.