Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

MPG Performance Mod's

6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mcook 
#1 ·
New to the Tundra Forums, I have a 2004 DC with a 6 inch lift and 305/70/17. How do they fit you ask? I have the Bermuda Triangle edition. Anyway, I average anywhere from 14 to 17 MPG per tank. I know that's already good for a 4.7 but I wanna try and create some more chaos and get even better MPG.

Here's my basic set up;
K&N Cold air intake system
Magnaflow exhaust with a dump before the rear axle
Full synthetic 10-30
NGK spark plugs (non-iridium)
Just under 94,XXX miles

Everything else is factory with proper up keep. I ordered a throttle body spacer and I was thinking of down the line with a programmer, headers, and a aftermarket MAF sensor. Any comments or ideas?

#5 ·
I doubt you could improve your mpg with any mods, that would justify the upfront cost.
That's right at the same mileage I get with my nearly stock access cab. Not bad I'd say.

#6 ·
Hmmmmm.

I tested a TBS and found a loss of mileage. I still have it sitting here on the bench if you want it for $20 plus shipping. "OBX Power Vortex Generator" There is a guy on TS who had a TBS who documented a gain but he is one of a few guys I have ever seen whose testing protocol I would put any stock in. I cannot remember his name off the top of my head but might be able to find a an old pm or email from him. From what I remember his TBS was actually manufactured incorrectly and when the company tried to get him to exchange it for a "correct" one he refused.

Things that will help mileage:

Mechanical:

• Regearing
  • Electric fans
  • Long tube headers and full exhaust from dirtydeedsindustries
  • Ram air intake scoop

Aerodynamic:

• Belly pans
  • Properly located Aerotabs
  • Front air dam below front bumper

Operator:
  • Scangauge or Ultragauge
  • Personal driving techniques
  • No warm-ups at start up beyond 30-60 seconds

Maintenance:
Everything adds up.

Personally I recommend starting with the items under the Operator: and Maintenance: headings. These are the easiest, most cost effective, and will give you a real understanding of what affects your fuel economy. Only then can you really know if any of the modifications you do are actually working.

#8 ·
Lizard King is full of it!
Not really. But the reality is that you might be able to pick up ... no, think of it this way: if you can get 2 MPG more and if you drive around 100 miles a day, the savings will pay for the product in maybe a year, then it's all profit from the lower gas bill.

Philosophy time:
If Toyota could come up with a 35 MPG truck....
Would they sell it?
Would anyone buy it?
They have spent millions developing the best overall product they can for the marketplace.
Drive it and put the money you wanted to spend into your retirement account.

#9 ·
I always laugh when I read these threads... you have a 6 inch lift, and 305/70/17 tires on your pickup truck and you are wanting better then 17 mpg?

Why do you want better mpg? are you trying to save us from foreign oil, or trying to save money?

If you want to save the world, buy a tesla.

If you want to save money, do not buy any new accessories. you might be able to trade your lift and tires for stock setup, and make a little money on top. then drive your stock truck consciously of fuel consumption. you should be able to get 1 to 2 mpg better this way, and will save a lot of money not buying things like TBS, and vortex generators, and stick on fins.

there's no secret tips to better mpg. keep up on maintenance, and don't drive like speed racer. Do you really think you can add a cheap spacer, or any other little add on that will increase mpg that none of the car manufacturers have found out about. If a 10% increase in mpg was as easy as a spacer, Toyota or any/all of the manufactures would put it in. these companies spend 100s of millions of dollars to make their engines more efficient.

#11 · (Edited)
BTW,

I've delved into fuel economy in my Tundra before....here's what works:

Driving habits is #1. (look up hypermiling)

Aerodynamic mods is #2. (someday I'll build one of these)

All the other stuff never really worked, and I've tried it: Volo chip, Aquatune water injection, drilling spark plugs for "increased combustion efficiency", HCS (Hydrocarbon Cracking System), airing up tires for "decreased rolling resistance", and many more.

The computers in our vehicles negate the improvements our mods give us.

#12 ·
BTW,

I've delved into fuel economy in my Tundra before....here's what works:

Driving habits is #1. (look up hypermiling)

Aerodynamic mods is #2. (someday I'll build one of these)

All the other stuff never really worked, and I've tried it: Volo chip, Aquatune water injection, drilling spark plugs for "increased combustion efficiency", HCS (Hydrocarbon Cracking System), airing up tires for "decreased rolling resistance", and many more.

The computers in our vehicles negate the improvements our mods give us.
Yaaay, YOU! U-B-right.

The Gibson Headers on my V6 Dakota actually did make a couple MPG improvement and the acceleration was almost scary.
Paid for themselves. Of course I drove over 100 miles a day to do it.
Oh, and they were tuned for the way I drove, around 2,000 RPM, not the drag strip.

Anything done that might improve MPG would not save enough to justify the cost.

By the way, having to listen to an ad to post pays the bills but it still sucks.

#13 ·
This is not really a mod but maintenance. Just got into camping and on my first trip averaged 9 mpg pulling around 6k. Cleaned throttle body and took the same route on the next trip. Mileage for this trip averaged 10.8. Truck only has 36k on it but it had considerable build up in the throttle body. Also had a fuel treatment in the tank, reset the ecu and used tow/haul and S5.
Once I use a few tanks without a load will confirm if it was a fluke or not. Truck did seem more peppy with the touchy throttle similar to when new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.