2006 tundra 3" leveling kit help and pointers - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 tundra 3" leveling kit help and pointers

i own a 2006 tundra 2wd access cab. im looking to buy a 3" coil spacer for the front and a 1" block in the rear. i just want to make sure i wont be running into any trouble with any problems fron the lift. will my brake lines be long enough and will i need to get anything else to make sure the truck isnt under any added stress? i have been researching about this alot and it seems like there are many small stupid things that can go wrong. i just dont want that to happen. i wont be upgrading tires or anything i just want a little extra clearance and a nice looking level truck. any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. im planning to buy powder coated aluminum spacers up front. and not sure about the blocks yet. all suggestions will be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggi33 For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,819 Times in 1,438 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Garage
Spacers aren't the best of options, they will lift your truck but can have annoying complications(harsh ride, upper ball joint wear).
Consider getting 5100s, they are a cost effective alternative and will do what you are looking for without compromising the ride or wear on suspension parts. For the block in the rear, you'll be okay but you will probably need to adjust the brake proportioning valve. They sell the kit at Wheelers, call them and ask for Dan, cool guy who I've bought stuff from.

Bilstein 5100 Front and Rear Shocks from Wheeler's Off-Road, Inc

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
well i was hoping for one more inch than they are saying. but how come they would cause those possible problems? would you just reccomend rising the truck 2" with these 5100's? or are there another pair that can raise it to 3" of lift? but now im starting to think that one more inch wouldnt make much of a difference and would be more work and cash than the final product would show compared to the 2" lift.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggi33 For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012), Gillenville (12-15-2013)
#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The top spacer lift lowers the upper mounting point of the stock coilover assembly, this changes the suspension geometry and puts extra strain on the upper ball joints. The spacers that go into the coilover assembly are slightly better since they don't alter the mounting point, but they do compress the spring causing a stiffer ride.

You can raise you truck 2.5" safely with 5100's since you have 2WD. Other options are to pick up a set of OME or Eibach springs(about $100 for a pair) and use them with a pair of 5100's to gain some extra lift. This is a good option because you can use the 5100 on the lowest setting to get the most out of the available travel, and the longer spring will provide the lift you want. A word of caution, if you want to go over 3" it is highly recommended to upgrade your upper control arms to a uniball assembly (Camburg/Total Chaos/Solo Motorsports).

Here's a complete assembly you can get from Toytec, they are very good people over there at Toytec. I originally ran on an assembly just like this one, it costs more than spacers for sure but you get a GREAT ride and the amount of lift you are looking for. (up to 3.5")
Bilstein adjustable coil over kit for 00-06 Tundra/ Sequoia - Toytec Lifts: Toyota Lift Kits: FJ Cruiser Lift Kits, Tacoma Lift Kits, Tundra Lift Kits, 4 Runner Lift Kits, Sequoia Lift Kits, Toyota Truck Lift Kits

The OME springs take a little more work, you have to get the top mount assembly from a Tacoma to use them, that's only about $30 extra. OME 885 or 886 are the ones you want, but there are variances in how much lift they provide. 886 is taller than 885.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Along the same lines. Just picked up an 06 dc. Would like to lift the front end to level it out, shocks are worn out . I really like the stock ride and dont want to lose it. Would the 5100,s with the eibach springs work for me?
The Following User Says Thank You to spiderrey For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:22 AM

Thanked 1,697 Times in 954 Posts
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Yea they would

CAMBURG COIL OVERS, DEVER 5 LEAF + 3" BLOCK, 20" RBP 96R WRAPPED IN 34" BFG KO, PUTCO FRONT WIND DEFLECTORS, MGHLM, DISCONTINUED SHIFT KNOB, TRD CAI, TOW MIRRORS, DEBADGED, DIPPED BUMPERS,ORACLE COLOR SHIFT HALOS, WEATHER TECH DIGIFIT FLOOR LINERS, GOPRO SILVER EDITION DASH CAM
POTOOWA MEMBER #2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serberus For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (12-10-2012), spiderrey (12-10-2012)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
"Rain Maker"
Premium Member

Thanked 14,174 Times in 4,203 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderrey View Post
Along the same lines. Just picked up an 06 dc. Would like to lift the front end to level it out, shocks are worn out . I really like the stock ride and dont want to lose it. Would the 5100,s with the eibach springs work for me?
The 5100's without the new springs will still give you 2 1/2inch lift with the Dc. We will have mostly matching trucks if you do!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 06dblecab For This Useful Post:
spiderrey (12-11-2012)
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I rode on Toytec coilovers for about two years, I feel that they rode better than stock. They were slightly stiffer than stock when hitting a speed bump(with speed), but when hitting any sort of dips or off road, they felt soft as can be. Most of my friends couldn't believe how nice the ride of my truck was when I ran these. I only swapped them for Fox because I get bored easily. Before anybody freaks out and asks why there is a spacer on top, it really isn't a spacer. The top mounting plate is just thicker and made of aluminum, it's about 1/4" thicker than the stock top plate. If you look at any other coilover assembly, you will notice that there is a considerable gap from the mounting point to the actual shock from the swivel adapter plate, much more gap than the Toytec set up has.
I strongly recommend Toytec products to anybody who wants a nice way to lift up their front end without killing their wallet. Regular 5100's with stock springs are also a great way to go.

Compared to the Fox set up.

Hunter S. Thompson

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006