Mods? Suggestions please. - Page 2 - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well at some point i wanna get the camburg LT kit 13" of travel but i want it road legal but able to still go have some fun at pismo
The Following User Says Thank You to Mwaddi92 For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-18-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 PM

Thanked 5,032 Times in 2,753 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Window tint. Functional, cheap, and changes the look of your truck.

2010 Tundra, CM, 4x4, 5.7, TRD Off Road, Silver Sky Tundra Club #7, TWACC #100, RYRWDBTTBYCDI #7, Tri-State Club #21, Chrome Club #23

Toyota/TRD (Stepboards, Cat-Back, Intake, Hood Protector), Pioneer (AVIC Z140BH & ND-BC5), Clazzio, Tint, Wheelskin, Line X (Extra/Color Match), ValuGard (Undercoat & Rust Inhibitor), Husky WeatherBeater, Westin Ult BB & Lights, Moto Metal 961, BAKFlip F1, OME 614, LR UCA
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chphilo For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-18-2012), Mwaddi92 (11-17-2012)
#18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,321 Posts
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Long travel will work fine on the street, it actually can corner pretty well. I've been dreaming of getting that kit for years but I can't justify spending $5k on the front end since I never get to off road anymore.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-18-2012), Mwaddi92 (11-17-2012)
#19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
No i plan on it being able to have a bit of fun over at pismo and apple valley or whenever i go riding haha, diff breather? Please explain haha im curious, is it so the diff can vent out hot air or what? And why no cai? With an maf though. My friend has a k&n cai with the jet mas airflow sensor which is what i wanna get but an aem cai, but it works good on his 1500 silverado did give a bit of power but helped with throttle respons for sure an souds nice what would you say i should do i wanna raise the front 3" bilstein shocks or fox shocks or coilovers or what? Dont want it to be too stiff though
06dblecab (11-18-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk View Post
Long travel will work fine on the street, it actually can corner pretty well. I've been dreaming of getting that kit for years but I can't justify spending $5k on the front end since I never get to off road anymore.
Truckstache at American Autocross 10 3 2009 Run 6 - YouTube
I love the tundra in that vid, look at it when hes at the beach goin through the whoopes f*ckin sexy, i want a hood like that also, like the tacoma hood thatll be a mod i wanna do

Last edited by Mwaddi92; 11-17-2012 at 08:06 PM.
06dblecab (11-18-2012)
#21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwaddi92 View Post
I love the tundra in that vid, look at it when hes at the beach goin through the whoopes f*ckin sexy, i want a hood like that also, like the tacoma hood thatll be a mod i wanna do
You need a translator, because I have no idea what you are looking for and do not have time to figure it all out.

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD 4x4 in Red Pearl.

New England Tundra Club Member #3

Forced Induction Club #13

Last edited by jbtoy1; 11-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jbtoy1 For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-18-2012)
#22 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtoy1 View Post
You need a translator, because I have no idea what you are looking for and do not have time to figure it all out.
Hahaha i know i jump around alot haha i blame my low attention span, haha but no imsaying im saveing up for a long travel suspension kit, but other than that throw out some good mods other than painting my grille and new tires ad rims
06dblecab (11-18-2012)
#23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
"Rain Maker"
Premium Member

Thanked 14,174 Times in 4,203 Posts
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
get the billet grille then plasti-dip or paint it. I like its look a lot.

black out rims via powdercoat or paint/plasti-dip...

Dynoline things to make it a little more quit...

I also used rattle can bedliner on running boards and mirror chrome...

Total Chaos UCA, the steering rack bushing, and sway bar bushing

Just a few of the things I have done
Most of the power mods are worthless.....take drunks advice because I think he has tried most. For the 1st gen. if you want power you got to go with the supercharger...
Hope this gave you a few ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to 06dblecab For This Useful Post:
Mwaddi92 (11-18-2012)
#24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Im trying to keep it N/A like it to be all motor but not sure where to get power out if the engine with some aspiration. Was thinking gibson exhaust,new headers, CAI and a new MAF, and thats about all i got haha
#25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Warning, I'm going to unload some experience to save you money, this might take a few minutes to read but will save you money that took weeks to earn.

The K&N doesn't work as well on the first Gen Tundra. I have it, I went back to stock, and recently I decided to give it a second chance. I need to be clear, I'm giving it a second chance for two reasons. One, I have 4.56 gears now, the reason that matters is the K&N lowers low end torque(bring on the "no it doesn'ts") which is what trucks need to have. It exchanges that low end torque for upper end horsepower, which you rarely utilize in a truck. Reason two is, I've been contemplating putting fiberglass front fenders on, and if I do I'll likely put the K&N to use since the stock intake may have a problem with water getting kicked up to it(fiberglass fenders require removal of the plastic liner that keeps water out of the intake tube).

In short, the K&N intake tube doesn't really help, I paid close to $300 for it and was very disappointed. Right now it is working well for me, but that is because my 4.56 gears multiply torque to even out the loss from the K&N. Also I do mostly highway driving now, and it seems to help slightly when I need to pass somebody. That Jet thing doesn't work on first gen Tundras, what works on one vehicle doesn't necessarily work on another. Toyota didn't leave much room for improvement. The fact is, if the supercharged Tundra could breathe through the stock intake, your stock 4.7L won't have a problem breathing through it. Save that money, get headers and/or get an electric fan kit.

I've played with my exhaust enough to learn the hard way. No exhaust system/kit is worth getting for power/mpg improvements. The stock piping was brilliantly matched to the 4.7L's needs, the only restrictive sections are the manifold(header), the Y pipe(not as bad as people think as far as HP reduction), and the muffler. Take my advice here, all you want to do is get a muffler you like and use it to replace the stock muffler and resonator. Keep the stock piping in place including that Y pipe. If you want headers, get a set of short tubes and call it a day. I've ran my JBA's for almost three years with no problems. I've heard good things about Gibson and Borla mufflers on Tundras, but the only mufflers I've ever liked on these trucks are Spintech and the BAMuffler. I run a Spintech Prostreet muffler and it sounds awesome, no drone and I can't hear it on highway trips. I've met a few guys with the BAMuffler and it's the only other muffler I'd run on my truck. A guy named Keith makes those, I can put you in contact with him if you are interested. Keith is a great guy and his work is second to none when it comes to mufflers.

That hood with the scoop is available, I can't recall who makes it but I want to say Outlaw.

The diff breather is a good mod, what you do is remove the stock differential breather, replace it with a barbed fitting. I got the fitting from a Nissan dealership, I can't recall the part number but if I find it I'll post it. I put the barbed fitting on, ran a flexible tube up to an area where water won't reach, then put a small air cleaner on it. That way, if I'm ever crossing water that is deep enough to get over my diff(20"+) my diff won't suck water in. The idea is, water will be colder than the differential casing/fluid and can cause the air within the diff casing to contract rapidly and suck in water. Extending the breather by running a tube provides a snorkel effect, eliminating the chance of getting water into the diff. Another benefit is, it's hard to plug the air cleaner I used, limiting the chances that my diff will stop breathing and blow out an axle seal.

If anybody cares do disagree with me on anything, feel free. I don't mind sharing how I know what I've learned. I've installed every part in my sig line other than my window tint and gears(that's black magic stuff) so I'm very aware of the way my parts work. There aren't many on this forum as prone to modifying their first gen as myself, I've learned a lot and want to help people put money in good places. Thanks for the nod 06dblecab, I agree the superchager is the only serious power mod for these trucks. Damn nice truck you have too.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
Hunter S. Thompson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
06dblecab (11-19-2012), Mwaddi92 (11-19-2012)
#26 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 AM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well thank you, i think ill listen on the muffler and headers im still kinda wanting a CAI but i think ima go with the aem brute force one, the dry filter. So no maf would really help you think? But like i said other thankthat what are some good ways to gain horsepower? Throttle body spacers, cam shaft etc... Also what do you think about welding my diff?
#27 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The two best things I've personally done to gain horsepower were installing headers and installing 4.56 gears. The mod I'm planning to do this upcoming spring is an electric fan conversion. This will free up horse power and provide better economy at the same time, something that doesn't happen often.
775 Toyota Tundra

There is a MAF re-calibrator made by URD which claims to provide a better tune to help you get the most out of your exhaust and intake kits, but I've never used it or heard any real reviews on it. There is also the Unichip, which gets good reviews from 05-06 owners but not as good reviews for 00-04 owners. That Unichip seems to work better with the VVTI motor. I wouldn't bother with the Jet, but I have considered the Unichip. If you REALLY want an intake kit, you might be best off with the Volant since it's a true CAI. The open filter kits like K&N aren't real CAI kits since they draw warm air unless you are moving. Also I predict since the total distance air must travel to get through the Volant is equal to stock, you won't lose much low end torque.
(predict because I've never had the Volant, but I know the K&N loses torque because it shortens the distance)

Hunter S. Thompson
The Following User Says Thank You to Drunk For This Useful Post:
Mwaddi92 (11-19-2012)
#28 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwaddi92 View Post
So no maf would really help you think? But like i said other thankthat what are some good ways to gain horsepower? Throttle body spacers, cam shaft etc...
I am in the same boat and have an almost identical truck to yours & Dunks.. Ok, it is the same (well, not sure if you have the 4x or not). I am mostly going for appearance-but-off-road-utility-on-a-budget, I would love to find a charger, but would prefer to put dow some weapons grade tourqe rather than hp. Now I may have mis-read but what I am learning about these engines is that it seems that the 4.7 was pretty much designed to it's maximum potential from the get go, now I am interested in the difference between the early 4.7 & the VVT-i version in the 05/6's (which would be another option if you can find one in a wrecked T/Seq. ect.) but that's another thread. It sounds like for off-roading you are looking for more of a dune runner maybe? Might look into some fender flares as well, that's on my list of future mods as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deslock For This Useful Post:
Mwaddi92 (11-19-2012)
#29 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk View Post
The two best things I've personally done to gain horsepower were installing headers and installing 4.56 gears. The mod I'm planning to do this upcoming spring is an electric fan conversion. This will free up horse power and provide better economy at the same time, something that doesn't happen often.
775 Toyota Tundra

There is a MAF re-calibrator made by URD which claims to provide a better tune to help you get the most out of your exhaust and intake kits, but I've never used it or heard any real reviews on it. There is also the Unichip, which gets good reviews from 05-06 owners but not as good reviews for 00-04 owners. That Unichip seems to work better with the VVTI motor. I wouldn't bother with the Jet, but I have considered the Unichip. If you REALLY want an intake kit, you might be best off with the Volant since it's a true CAI. The open filter kits like K&N aren't real CAI kits since they draw warm air unless you are moving. Also I predict since the total distance air must travel to get through the Volant is equal to stock, you won't lose much low end torque.
(predict because I've never had the Volant, but I know the K&N loses torque because it shortens the distance)

thanks drunk, i was thinking about headers and i was thinking about the volant but i wanted a dry filter so sand and dust dont cluage (not a great speller) it up, cause i do like to go to pismo with my friends and have fun, my friend has a 1500 silverado and his k&n clauged and it almost overheated. but yeah deslock if thats another thread post the link id like to read it cause i kind of am looking more torwards a prerunner setup but still street legal cause ill have this truck for another 2years before i get my yamaha street bike or a daily driver
#30 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Garage
(Thread Starter)
one more thing what about an AFE CAI? and need thoughts on getting my diff welded guys throw in the input please much appreciated

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006