User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
#1 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
low oil pressure??

hey guys i gotta 2003 4x4 tundra with the 4.7 all stock. ive had it for about 3 years. its always had low oil pressure (in my opinion) at idle. theres no numbers on guage but at idle it sits down at first line (1/4 mark) which i would say is about 20psi?? And while accelerating it gets up to second line (1/2 mark) which i would say is about 40ish (which i would call normal)?? does that seem normal to dip that low at idle??? do yalls do the same?? i tried searching "low oil pressure" on here but it kept taking "low" and "oil" out of search and all i was getting was about tire pressure... thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Thanked 2,349 Times in 983 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Garage
once warmed up, mine idles a little below the 1/4 mark.
normal driving its less the half once a cruising speed.
WOT it can go above 3/4 mark.

Honestly, i look at the gauge, but it doesnt matter to me, there are no numbers and the truck runs perfect anyways

2010 4x4 TRD Limited~Rock Warrior Wheels~ARE V-series Cap~1A Auto Tow Mirrors~Hidden Antenna Mod~Fog light Mod~DRL delete~Chrome Rear Door Handles~Stock exhaust dumped over axle~Thule Hitch Bike Rack~WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats~MTN BYK plates~

My Build-check it out!
Tri-State Club Founder-click and join!
Tundra With A Cap Club #126
Tundra Campers Club #11
First Gen Club #8 2005 4x4 TRD SR5 DC..SOLD
The Following User Says Thank You to biebs96 For This Useful Post:
Lizard King (12-22-2011)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:26 AM

Thanked 3,016 Times in 742 Posts
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What Biebs said. Quarter mark is normal idle and halfway mark is typical for driving. Where did you come up with the psi numbers?
#4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 AM

(Thread Starter)
the numbers were a total guess just from driving other trucks with numbers on guages. thanks for the advice guys! i dont think ive had any other truck before that has had the oil pressure move so much between idle and cruising speed!
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Garage
well were glad you bought a toyota this time.

im pretty sure the low oil pressure helps with slightly better fuel mileage and engine life, just my $0.02. lizard would know more about that

2010 4x4 TRD Limited~Rock Warrior Wheels~ARE V-series Cap~1A Auto Tow Mirrors~Hidden Antenna Mod~Fog light Mod~DRL delete~Chrome Rear Door Handles~Stock exhaust dumped over axle~Thule Hitch Bike Rack~WeatherTech Digital Fit Mats~MTN BYK plates~

My Build-check it out!
Tundra Campers Club #11
The Following User Says Thank You to biebs96 For This Useful Post:
Lizard King (12-22-2011)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebs96 View Post
well were glad you bought a toyota this time.

im pretty sure the low oil pressure helps with slightly better fuel mileage and engine life, just my $0.02. lizard would know more about that
Thanks for the kudos. The oil pressure is exactly where it is supposed to be under the operating conditions. It is not low unless it dips below the bottom hash. Insofar as fuel economy I do not believe it has any effect unless it is overly high and fuel economy would be at the bottom of your list of concerns.

I too am pleased that the OP purchased the best AMERICAN made truck money can buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lizard King For This Useful Post:
Bad Dad's Camrys (12-22-2011), Powertechn2 (12-24-2011)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM

Garage
best AMERICAN made....giggity giggity yes!! so true

My Build-check it out!
Tundra Campers Club #11
#8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 AM

(Thread Starter)
I am also glad I bought it. I love it. Thanks for the advice I know on jus about any other truck I've driven oil pressure stays at about 40 so I figured id ask. As far as fuel mileage I thought it would b a little better than it is but I get around 11.5 around town and maybe 12 on highway. But no matter how bad mpg is I wouldn't even think about getting rid of her!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
12 mpg with a 4.7 ?? you must drive like a madman !!

08' CM Ltd Silver Sky
backup camera with ATO bypass, Homelink mirror, LRO 3/1, AVS vent-shades and bug guard, SSA brushed mesh grill, Avital security and remote start, Truxedo LO-PRO QT, oem bed mat, Flowmaster 50 delta flow, Weathertech's, Ballistic Hostels w/ Zeon LTZ's, matched flares, Kenwood 7120 with JL amp and Excelon subs in Tech box
The Following User Says Thank You to silversky21 For This Useful Post:
Powertechn2 (12-24-2011)
#10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeinchcutters View Post
I am also glad I bought it. I love it. Thanks for the advice I know on jus about any other truck I've driven oil pressure stays at about 40 so I figured id ask. As far as fuel mileage I thought it would b a little better than it is but I get around 11.5 around town and maybe 12 on highway. But no matter how bad mpg is I wouldn't even think about getting rid of her!
Wow those are some difficult numbers to stomach. I get low 20's on the highway at 70+ MPH with summer blend fuel and around 16 MPG in town. Winter mileage is much lower with winter blend fuel , colder temperatures, defrosters etc. . . Tank averages are around 15 MPG right now but the truck sees a lot of in town with several cold start-ups and with the FML driving. She has a hard time keeping her foot out of it and little patience for idiot drivers. All this with a 2004 DC with the worst power to weight ratio of any Tundra produced. I do not drive like a teenager but do not drive like a grandpa either. I expect to push into the mid 20's this summer with electric fans and headers.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 07:39 PM

(Thread Starter)
wow yea well hearing that is kinda hard to stomach hah! no i dont drive like a madman either. if it was a scale from teenager to oldman id honestly be more towards the oldman i know that cause my wife makes fun of me for it hah. im always getting onto her for how she drives it! im kinda getting off topic for why i started this thread maybe i need to start researching fuel mileage because it seems like im gettin ripped off on my MPG
#12 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
wow yea well hearing that is kinda hard to stomach hah! no i dont drive like a madman either. if it was a scale from teenager to oldman id honestly be more towards the oldman i know that cause my wife makes fun of me for it hah. im always getting onto her for how she drives it! im kinda getting off topic for why i started this thread maybe i need to start researching fuel mileage because it seems like im gettin ripped off on my MPG

Couple of links to help you get started in your research:

Tundra Fuel Economy

and

Fuel Economy
#13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Thanked 7,897 Times in 3,867 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Quote:
was that with the wifey driving or the fu&k my life ( maybe same thing depending on perspective lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard King View Post
Wow those are some difficult numbers to stomach. I get low 20's on the highway at 70+ MPH with summer blend fuel and around 16 MPG in town. Winter mileage is much lower with winter blend fuel , colder temperatures, defrosters etc. . . Tank averages are around 15 MPG right now but the truck sees a lot of in town with several cold start-ups and with the FML driving. She has a hard time keeping her foot out of it and little patience for idiot drivers. All this with a 2004 DC with the worst power to weight ratio of any Tundra produced. I do not drive like a teenager but do not drive like a grandpa either. I expect to push into the mid 20's this summer with electric fans and headers.
my worst was 11.5ish i think, if i member right... was first tank eva, best was about 18...

with my quad in the back, loaded with shit too... crewmax 4x4... 5.7... heavy polish right feetz bb... lol

I put the Laughter in Slaughter

KTM 450xc QUAD, Baldwin head, Ti valves, 8/06 cam, motoworks, goldspeed tires...

2010 CM RW, blacked out, Led's,Hid's bhlm, 315/60r18 Grabber's, XD wheels, Aero turbine exhaust, more than meets the eye.

I like weapons.
I dont capitalize, use spell check, or punctuate properly...
and you can call me Power.

Last edited by Powertechn2; 12-24-2011 at 06:06 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM

(Thread Starter)
no even with me driving i cant get more than 320ish to a tank. she gets about 300. she drives it now though i bought me a bronco. im gonna try some things to up the mpg. lizardking gave me a link to a good list of stuff to try!
#15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A normal running motor of any kind is good to go with atleast 10psi of oil pressure per 1000rpm. Of course if you change to a slight heavier weight of oil it will increase due to it being slightly thicker. If your running 2000rpm down the road 20psi is suffient with any motor. I have built numerous high performance motors in my time and have always put high volume oil pumps in them, That being said more volume doesnt always meen higher pressure just more volume. The volume is what you need not actual pressure.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > First Gen Tundra 2000-2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.