DIY: AMP Research Powerstep and Bedstep Installation on 2008 Crewmax - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
DIY: AMP Research Powerstep and Bedstep Installation on 2008 Crewmax

Hey guys! I decided I would take the time to go step by step on the installation of AMP Research's Power Steps and their Bed Step. I also didn't want to pay to get it installed lol. Everyone wanted to charge way too much...

The directions say skill level of 4 which is their highest rating on their instruction manual, but I tackled this installation with no problem at all. I think I read on another thread install review that the newer Tundra's have different colored wiring, so take note that this installation is on my 2008 Tundra Crewmax. (Wiring may be different on other years)

Here we go.
First we'll start with the easy step. The AMP Research Bed Step.
This was kind of a piece of cake. The install is very easy and basic, but its hard to get to the bolts to tighten them once you put the support arm on.

Here's what we are working with. This AMP Research Bed Step is specifically for the driver side of the bumper.

The components of the box. From left to right: Support Arm, Moving Arm, Step, Instruction Manual and Warranty info, and Hardware.

First thing you want to do is grab the support arm and the moving arm,

and then bolt these together with the correct hardware like so.

Once these are bolted together, slide underneath the truck (It really came in handy that I could sit under my truck cause of the lift.) Find these 2 bolts to mount the support arm to.

Mounting this support arm to these bolts is the only tricky part of the installation. I forgot to take a pic while i was doing this... I was getting frustrated cause there is no room to work under there. Just make sure you have a decent length extender when you tighten these bolts down.

Now that the support arm is bolted to the truck, you should have this.

All that is left to do is mount the step. You can adjust the step left or right to your liking so its easier for you to grab the step with your foot to deploy.
You need to slide these into the step so you can bolt the step onto the moving arm.

After you find where you want your step to sit, bolt it in and you're done!

The finished result!

Here's a quick video!

Now onto the PowerSteps! These aren't necessarily harder to install, its just more time consuming. Now lets start!

I didnt bother taking pictures of all the parts cause this box had a lot more then the BedStep.
The first thing you need to do is find the Emergency Brake Cable which is on the driver side. Follow it all the way to the end of the rear driver door till you find this bracket holding the brake cable.

You are going to need to unbolt this bracket, separate it from the cable, and then reattach and bolt it back on after turning it 180 degrees.

Now find the Motor and Motor Linkage and bolt it together. Each motor and Linkage part is not side specific so don't worry about that.

Starting with the drivers side, find the second set of factory holes from the front to mount steps on. This is where you will mount the first motor assembly.

These were on pretty tight... so be careful of the pinch weld cause it got me pretty good haha

Once you get the bolts out, bolt the motor and assembly on.
(I forgot to take a picture of the motor assembly after it was mounted)
Now lets move onto the rear Idler Linkage Arm. This will go on the last set of factory step holes.

*Repeat these steps for the passenger side minus the brake cable part.

Now that you have all 4 mounts bolted onto the truck, we can now bolt on the steps. The steps can be easily adjusted before or after the complete install. Specifically for the Crewmax, you need to line up the back of the step with the edge of the rear passenger door.

Like I said, if its not perfectly lined up, you can adjust it after your done with everything. Its hard to tell when they are down and you cant move them due to the motor. I adjusted mine perfectly after everything was wired up since the step was now able to hug the body and I could see how off I was from the edge of the rear door.
Well once you get a good enough alignment, bolt the steps to the mounts.

*Repeat steps for passenger side step.

Now comes the part where some people may want a shop to do the install or why they took it to the shop to get installed. Wiring! (It really is easy, AMP Research made it as easy as it could get.)
You have your control box, your fully wired wiring harness, Posi Taps (Which I now love!), and the LED light kit is now integrated with the wiring harness!
Anyways, find your control box and 2 11'' zip ties from your packaging and mount it to the wiring loom closes to the fire wall.

Find your positive wire with fuse, take the fuse out (make sure you put it in a safe place), and then bolt it to your positive side of the battery.

Now find the ground cable and bolt it to the grounded bolt on the fender.

Now once you have done that, find the longest leg of wires and run it along the fire wall to the passenger side exiting through the fender well outside of the frame.

Now once its out in the fender well, find the path over the frame between the body to pass the wires through like so.

Next, open up the door and remove the kick panel along with the sill plates. Now pull up the carpet to find the grommet which is towards the center of the foot well. Cut a slit in the grommet enough to pass through the blue and white wires from the passenger side wiring.

Now find the black plug in the kick panel area.

Connect your blue wire from the AMP harness to the blue wire in pin 1 using the supplied Pois-tap.

Now find the white wire in pin 9 and connect that to your white wire from the AMP harness.

Now that the passenger side is all wired up, we can now connect the harness to the passenger side motor like so.

The next step after you connect this is to slide the motor cover on, this was only tricky cause its a tight squeeze in there to snap these clips in. I didnt get a chance to take a pic.

Now that we have wired up the passenger side, its time to wire up the driver side. So go back to the beginning of the harness and find your short leg of wires. Now do the same with this side and send these through the driver side fender well opening.
Remove kick panel, sill plates and lower dash piece from driver side.
Pull up the carpet and find the grommet towards the center to feed the dark grey wire and blue wire through.
Find the black pin connector in the kick panel area, find pin 15 and connect your blue wire from the driver side harness to the blue wire in pin 15 with your posi-tap.

Now go to the main electrical area under the driver side dash and find the big pin connector on the top left. Your going to be looking for a dark grey wire in pin 2 in the green row.

Now lets put the motor cover on, open both driver and passenger side doors, find your fuse that I told you to put in a safe place and plug it in. Now put your battery back on and cross your fingers! lol Once you put your battery on you will here the step motors moving the steps into open position. Congrats! You have just installed your AMP Research power steps!
Now we can go back and reinstall the kick panels and door sill plates. Zip tie all loose wires, align the steps now they go up when we close the doors, and wire the led lights now that the steps go all the way down. I did not wire mine yet since I dont have a good enough drill to get through that pinch weld. But I will post back once I do install them.
For now, here is a quick video of the newly installed AMP Research PowerSteps!
For those that dont know or didnt know, you can place your foot down on the step with pressure as you close the door to keep them deployed if you need to use the step to clean the top of your truck or get something like I show you in the video.

[CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#Follow me on Instagram @Ninja_Ed

Last edited by Ninja Ed; 02-20-2011 at 11:43 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ninja Ed For This Useful Post:
aleaddict (01-29-2012), EBTundra (02-19-2011), EUPHOR1C (02-23-2011), first_toyota (11-20-2011), JOSH 5.7 (04-10-2011), kstateskier (11-28-2011), Rcbob (02-20-2011), Tapewyrm01 (03-08-2011), tonyspin (02-23-2011), tsl07tundra (06-30-2012), TundraMan18 (02-19-2011), UnCivilEng (07-26-2012), WhiteManFlail (11-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
amazinng DIY ed, took some time but i cant wait for the hostage next (;

To much to list basic stuff
7" BDS Powdercoated Candy Teal
3" Body
37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
22x12 Rockstar 2's Custom painted Teal Star White Clips
PLENTY of Rigid LEDs
SoCal Super Trucks 50" Roof Mount
Driven from Houston, Texas to Las Vegas and back for SEMA 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to TundraMan18 For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (02-19-2011)
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraMan18 View Post
amazinng DIY ed, took some time but i cant wait for the hostage next (;
Thanks Randy! Yea for having a lift for 5 months with out steps was killing me. It wasnt too bad but I just hated hearing people complain about it lol. The install was well worth it and it wasnt bad at all. If I had to do it again I could probably knock it out in 2 hours. It took me about 4-5 since I was taking my time and trying to get pictures haha.

[CENTER]

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
SP
Premium Member

Thanked 4,227 Times in 2,178 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Garage
wow Ed your are the mod king of the month. Nice job.

2014 CM 5.7L 1794 edition
Front tint*OEM look alike Brushed steps*GENSSI® ELITE G7 H4 Led's*morimoto LED fogs(excellent)*interior canbus LED's*Husky Floor Liners*Trd Pro grill and color matched front end*TRD sway bar*LowPro Rollup Tonneau cover*20 inch Black Rhino black wheels*Sotck nit size terra graplers*Bully Dog tuner AWESOME*
The Following User Says Thank You to SP For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (02-23-2011)
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,220 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I just ordered the bed step from Amazon. $159 with free shipping

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 42,991 Times in 19,763 Posts
Mentioned: 440 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Awesome job Ed!

#blackriflesmatter #whitelivesmatter #MAGA
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesco For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (02-23-2011)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys! I still have more to post up! =] Not so much anymore DIY, just more new parts. Probably wont be able to get them up until after the weekend though. Busy, busy, busy...

[CENTER]

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
I just ordered the bed step from Amazon. $159 with free shipping
nice!! make sure u get a good long extension for when u bolt that support arm down. i need to go back and check mine. i feel like i didnt get it in there that good cause of the lack of space to work with.
post pix when ur done tony!

[CENTER]

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,220 Posts
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Ed View Post
post pix when ur done tony!
Will do. It won't be delivered untill next week

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice write up . That's the reason I install the steps myself was because these guys wanted to charge me $65 an hr for 5 hrs ,total for steps and install was $1750 . Saved $600 ordering and doing it myself , funny thing was I did it myself in 2 1/5 hrs . Can't find honest people nowadays ( well around here anyways )

Team Zer0

1st Tundra to mount the XD Cranks .
07 DC x-sp
20" Cranks 0 offset , 35" Trail Grapplers
2 1/2" front , 1 1/2" rear
Limo all around with AMP Steps
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fulish850 For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (04-11-2011), SP (02-26-2011)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanked 1,317 Times in 888 Posts
Great job!

2004 Sequoia Limited
2012 Sequoia SR5

Old Truck Mods in Link Below:

The Following User Says Thank You to berdine3 For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (04-11-2011)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thanks for this writeup, made my life waaaaaaaay easier installing these. What are you guys' opinions on the lighting, so far i just have my wires zip tied up out of the way, not sure if im gonna drill and mount the lights.
The Following User Says Thank You to guminy For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (04-11-2011)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 PM

Thanked 1,001 Times in 622 Posts
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
great work!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to crzy2bealive For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (04-11-2011)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 PM
"The Antagonizer"
Premium Member

Thanked 20,680 Times in 7,553 Posts
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Looks good Ed!

"Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I feel One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue The other ones got a rattlesnake with a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave"

BTCM46
TWACCM113
The Following User Says Thank You to JOSH 5.7 For This Useful Post:
Ninja Ed (04-11-2011)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guminy View Post
thanks for this writeup, made my life waaaaaaaay easier installing these. What are you guys' opinions on the lighting, so far i just have my wires zip tied up out of the way, not sure if im gonna drill and mount the lights.
I had mine tucked and zip tied for a lil bit until I had time to finish and wire them up. I would personally install and wire them up. They do help a little bit. I just wish they were brighter and maybe covered more area. I might replace the amp research lights with a longer brighter light from aac.

[CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra DIY's > Exterior Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.