Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

rear bumper build

27K views 69 replies 29 participants last post by  08greenmachine 
#1 ·
needed a new bumper for the tundra and i hate buying something that i can build not to mention the mark up on these bumpers is about 20,000 percent :lol: so i made a cardboard template of the basic shape i wanted and went from there.

gonna flush mount some rigid led lights and some shackle mounts and get it powdercoated. soon ill start on a front bullnose winch bumper.

See less See more
#39 ·
Looking great. Amazing how fast rust can set up. How much did the rigids run you?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#40 ·
Looking great. Amazing how fast rust can set up. How much did the rigids run you?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
200 shipped off ebay

It looks good. If I get around to building one, I will do it the hard way and radius the corners. I think it just flows better.
I like the lights a lot. I just wonder if they would blind driver on the road if you were backing up on the street.
im sure they will, would probably be a wise choice to put em on a toggle switch. i mainly have em because i duck hunt alot and most of the ramps i launch at dont have any lights around, these should make it alot easier to get the boat ready.

#49 ·
badazz bumper and sweet lookin truck...hell ofa job...where you from...can't wait for Teal season and on to big duck season

#42 ·
#43 ·
Excellent work, it turned out really nice!

#44 ·
Gotta get some satisfaction seeing it all done, looks awesome.

#45 ·
Reactions: scott.a
#46 ·
Bumper looks great!! Nice Job!

Do you have any pictures of the back side or the mounts to the bumper?

Also, what is your total cost with the powder coating?

I am planning on doing this as well once I have the time and quit working out of town.

#47 ·
Bumper looks great!! Nice Job!

Do you have any pictures of the back side or the mounts to the bumper?

Also, what is y4our total cost with the powder coating?

I am planning on doing this as well once I have the time and quit working out of town.
dont have any pics of the mounting plate but its basically just a small piece that cut to fit on the factory hitch and drilled some holes to mount. i also tied the shackle mount into the plate that mounts to the hitch.

3/16 sheet was $115
powdercoat was $80 but a friend got me a deal
rigid lights were $200
shackles were $20
shackle mounts were $18
grade 8 bolts were $5

#48 ·
That isn't bad at all! Thanks for the price info!

#53 ·
Hey quick question as I just had a front bumper made for my truck. Does the bumper need to be removed for the powder coating? That's a nice looking bumper for sure, my rear bumper is next on the list.

Brendan

#56 ·
Shoot, that's what I was afraid of. Not sure exactly but guessing this thing weighs 180 ish lbs, and 2 person job getting it off, then have to put old one back on to drive it to the PC and then reverse all that to get new one back one.

Brendan

#58 ·
Yeah I thought about that, mine is the front so I have to have it unless I want a ticket... I could probably explain the reason though.

Another question, Are your shackle mounts more for looks or did you tie them into your frame? I am going back and forth about putting them on mine. And do they rattle while going down the road?

#59 ·
why would you get a ticket? around here just as long as you have the license plate on the dont say anything. i wired my plate on temporary and didnt have an issue.

i tied the shackle mounts into the frame mount but i wish i would have used 1/4 plate for the mounts instead of 3/16 and i would feel more comfortable pulling from em but i had no intentions of pulling from em when i built and really still dont. if i need to pull it out ill hook to the hitch. they dont ratlle but i also put the daystar shackle in the link. i paid 9$ shipped for em but looks like the price went up a little.

shackle isolators
DayStar Black D Ring Shackle Isolator for 3 4" Sold as Pair KU70056BK | eBay

shackle mounts
Bumper Clevis D Ring Mounts One Pair CNC Machined Jeep Offroad Chevy Buggy | eBay

mount pic.

#63 ·
I didn't even know about those isolators, I think I might just have to get some of those. Thanks for that link.

I was thinking of same thing, because I have the hooks also right under my bumper, but I would like to be able to use the shackles as well But I still doubt I would use them.

Brendan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.