Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Hey Discount Tire - MB Wheels TKO

86K views 69 replies 30 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Discount Tire...what's the scoop on your MB Wheels line...specifically the TKO's? What is the offset, backspace, and all that good stuff. How do these wheels compare to XD's or something? I am not finding much on the internets about them.

Also...what is the weight of each wheel? And I have 265/70/18 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 on my truck now. The rim width range for this tire is 7"-9". So these tires should fit these wheels fine...correct?
Thanks!!

#64 ·
Tundergas, just picked up a 2008 doublecab stock everything and looking to get the Fuel Mavricks 20" but don't know what's better 20x9 or 20x10? Looking to get Grappler 275/55R20, would that be a nice fit and work well? I'd like to have the tires stick out alittle but not to much.

#65 ·
MB TKO load rating

I have the 18" MB TKO on my '08 Dbl Cab (5.7L 4.4 SR5) for a little over a year now. I never really paid attention to the sticker that was placed on the inside of my drivers door that states my Load Carrying Capacity is Reduced by 380lb.

I think I kinda blew this off until I started towing a TT and did all of the math for weights and ratings.

Is this for real, i.e. are these wheels that much weaker than the stock alloy's that came with the truck? I like these wheels and think they look great on the truck, but this is a pretty serious downside that should be stated on the product description page.

Note the only other mod's I've made to the truck are Coach builder shackles and Bilstein 5100's...

Can someone provide some clarification?

#66 · (Edited)
Hi, Thrustblock-

Thank you for your business and for addressing your concern here. We take safety very serious here at Discount Tire and I'm glad to see you're on the same page!

I do not have the load rating for your O.E. wheels, however, all the wheels we sell for your Tundra meet or exceed the trucks Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR). In this case, the 18-inch MB TKO exceeds the GAWR by 850 lbs. So while this set of wheels may have a lower load carrying capacity, the wheels are well within the operating requirements for the truck, which includes towing.

I'm a little confused when you say, "drivers door that states my Load Carrying Capacity is Reduced by 380lb" Can you post a picture of what you're looking at?

#67 ·
Thanks for the quick reply and helping me get to the bottom of this. I've attached pictures of all of the plates/stickers that are on the inside of the door frame. Additionally, I'm running BFG TKO2's LT 275/70/R18 load range E.

I think what I'm most concerned with is that if the load carrying capacity of the truck has been reduced from 1395lb to 1015lb, these wheels are reducing my overall towing rating. The tongue weight of my TT is 500lb, so by the time a put the family and a cooler of liquid weekend supplies in the truck, I'm at load with no wiggle room.

Can that be accurate if the wheels meet or exceed the trucks GAWR?

Here's a link to stock wheel that was on the truck: Toyota Tundra 2008 18" OEM Wheel Rim

They're still sitting next to my garage, so I can take a look tonight and see if they have a load rating stamped on them.

Attachments

#68 · (Edited)
It's our pleasure, thrustblock and thank you again for giving us the opportunity to help and providing us with photos :cool:

Real quick, where did the weight/load reduction placard come from? I have a feeling that sticker may have been applied due to the aftermarket shackles/suspension components?

Circling back to the topic at hand... the tow rating, tongue weight and gross vehicle weight rating have not been altered by your aftermarket MB TKO wheels. The axles are only capable of handling X amount of weight and no more. For example and speaking in generalities, adding tires (or wheels) that carry 1,000 lbs more weight than the axle is rated for didn't increase the load capacity of the vehicle 1,000 lbs. The load capacity is still limited to the gross axle weight rating.

As noted earlier, we use the gross axle weight rating to see if a wheel is safe for the vehicle application. Using your truck for reference, the front axle is rated for 4,000 lbs and the rear axle for 4150 lbs. It's important to note that neither axle has that amount of weight on them all the time, or even once in a while as weight is dispersed, but that is the maximum that each axle can handle. In this case the MB TKO has a maximum load carrying capacity of 2,500 lbs which exceeds the front axle rating by 1,000 lbs and the rear axle by 850 lbs.

Rest assured, you're riding safe with our wheels and on a side note, nearly all aftermarket 5-150 wheels are rated to 2,500 lbs.

#69 ·
Great follow up, thanks again.

I can only assume that the sticker was applied post wheel and tire installation. The shackles, as shown in the attached image are considerably more burly than the factory ones and were installed, along with the shocks, at my friends shop (professional mechanic) and we certainly didn't put the sticker on. Everything else on the truck is stock.

The only other place that works on my truck is the dealership when I take it for oil changes and I can check in with them next time i'm in for service to see if they put it there for some reason.

Otherwise, seems like it's not a issue or was put there by mistake.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.