Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Couple of cans of dip, and a day off

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Danthetireman 
#1 · (Edited)
Had some cans of plasti-dip left over from when I had my FJ Cruiser. Decided to see what it would look like on the chrome parts of my truck. I don't feel like using a factory match paint or plasti dip's glossifier. Mostly because I did it on another car, and we found out it was a biotch to peel off. Figure i'll go with the Matte black, and take it off if it's too weird.. .what y'all think?

See less See more
Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#4 ·
Yup, I'm a fan. Black out those head lights.

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! I think when I have some more time, i'll probably instead of covering the crap out of the Tundra inside the engine and out with painters tape and tarp, remove the front grill and re dip it. Few sketchy areas, but overall I like it

#9 ·
Makes me want to do my bumpers now

#12 ·
I pulled my surround and grill to Plasti it, worked great.

I have to re-do my rear bumper, I was having some fun in the mud and it started to peel off :(

I'm not sure how well it will really hold up and that makes me hesitate to actually do my front bumper.

#14 ·
You know, I had it all over on my FJ Cruiser, and we went to a rock crawl event in Austin, and it held up real nice. I find if you do four coats spaced out about 40 minutes (initial light spray, 2nd darker spray, 3 heavy spray, 4 light spray) it holds up pretty nicely. Too much coats and it will just peel off, too little, and it'll wear off

#13 · (Edited)
Hey all. Had a few days for the plasti-dip to settle in, so you guys can see what it looks like. Keep in mind it's "fall" here in south Texas, so weather does play a role, but you can see that the plasti-dip will settle in after a few days and start to get a dark black, and is easy to clean. Here's some updated pics. I figured what the heck also, and bought some 3M chrome spikes from Autozone, little accents around the grill surround and tail top of the truck. Maybe overkill? I dunno, whatever, looks cool to me, lol

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comment bro. There's some decent threads on this site as well as others, as far as the whole process, but here's the jist.

The product is by Performix, Plasti-Dip. You can find it at any Lowes, usually. They have other colors, primarily one being black, as well as enhancers, glossifiers etc... I've done it on my FJ Cruiser, this Tundra, and two other vehicles of some buddies, with all great results.. Here's the gist of the process I usually follow.

If you wanted to do wheels, you're going to need probably 3 cans, don't follow the whole one can PER wheel, that's over kill, 2-3 cans should get you enough coats, usually 3-4 on every wheel. If you want to do chrome accents, for example the Tundra, I used 2 cans total for the front and back bumper. I even have some left in the second can, and that was plenty for 4 coats. Plasti-dip essentially is liquid vinyl. Here's a quick process for the chrome surround on the front grill of the tundra...

1) I would recommend removing the grill, theres like 15 bolts I noted, and then just take it off. If you wanted to do a separate billet inset and do just the surround, you'll find some threads on how to remove just that center piece. You can also just painter tape and tarp everything and leave it on the car, keep note to watch the radiator inside the car so tarp that off as well, but this is more time consuming to do, but it works as well.
2) Clean the surface real good, I have an ammonia free solvent that I had bought that works great for chromes/plastic etc, but soap and water work just fine. Make sure it's completely clear of debris, even use a computer aerosol duster can to help with the process as well.
3) start the plasti dip process. first coat should be barely light, barely visible base coat, wait about 45 minutes then apply second. Second should be slighty more heavy, covering the entirety of it, but not so much to cause dripping. Again, wait about 45 minutes. Third coat should be the heaviest one, keep it even, watch for piling that could drip. I would wait about an hour to and and hour and half after the third coat. Then my final coat, the fourth, is usually lighter than the 3rd, almost like the second coat, just even up areas, and give it one final touch. I have found, any more coats than this on chrome or plastics, is overkill and will cause it to peel easily.
4) Then walah, that's pretty much it man. Don't drive it around for a good 20-24 hours. And you'll see it'll start to settle it and get a little darker after a few days. Also, if you have any overspray if you're doing it on the car itself, just get a terry cloth and water and go over it on the paint, that's the great thing about plasti dip, it's forgiving and easy to remove. I have used rust-oleum decal remover spray, and that stuff just dissolves the plasti dip, so you can use that for the overspray parts. Just watch it and don't get it on your dipped product :)

Hope this helps! It can be addicting once you start dippin' I even dipped a entire guitar body on one of my electrics, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.