Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
looks awesome bro. keep it!

Tri-State Member #2
FORCED INDUCTION MEMBER #15
2011 BLACK DC RW
Supercharger, BHLM, 5k HIDs, TRD Swaybar, "bad news" buttons, 1.5" Spacers, Tint, LEDs througout, Powdercoated rings, LRO 3/1, Tinted tails, dumped BAMuffler, N-Fab RSP bumper, 2x 36" LED light bars, Plasma Halos, rocksliders, 315/70 Duratracs... for now.

Ballin' on a Budget Build
@Blackout_TRD
The Following User Says Thank You to KoBear For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep it for sure. I was thinking of doing something along the same lines with my black bumpers. And I was also curious about painting over the plasti dip. I think this might help me go ahead with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to tundrafan2010 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:53 PM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lfspyd3r View Post
They also sell a gray plasti-dip at dipyourcar.com that might be a better "primer" for the color match paint.

Which color match paint did you use and where did you buy it from? Also, how many cans were needed to do both bumpers?
I would definitely recommend going with the gray plasti dip for a base if you have a metallic color. Mine is actually a "slate metallic" not a magnetic gray like yours, but like mine your is probably somewhat transparent so this may make a difference for you as well. I used less than one can each of the base and high gloss clear from automotive touchup com I left the rear black plasti I think it looks awesome. Black plasti on the front looks too much like a base model work truck or something IMO, some like it though.

I tried taking a bunch of pics its hard to tell they are from my cell phone but I came out of the grocery store today and the farther away you are the darker it looks. To me anyways. Might just be me because I know there is plasti dip underneath I have gotten a lot of compliments no one has noticed in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrafan2010 View Post
Keep it for sure. I was thinking of doing something along the same lines with my black bumpers. And I was also curious about painting over the plasti dip. I think this might help me go ahead with it.
With plastdip the thicker it is the easier it is to peel off. Depending on what color your paint is you may want to look into the grey dip online as previously mentioned or the white even, but gray is probably better. Let me know how it goes.

2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4x4 Slate Metallic
LRO 3/1, K&N, Magnaflow, Cabelas molded floor mats(weathertech), CMHLM, CM grill and front bumper, A little plasti dip.
The Following User Says Thank You to KYslate For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 AM

Looks awesome...i am considering
The Following User Says Thank You to 20limited07 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Thanked 1,316 Times in 888 Posts
Def keep it!

iPhone

2004 Sequoia Limited
2012 Sequoia SR5

Old Truck Mods in Link Below:
http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tun...build-log.html
The Following User Says Thank You to berdine3 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 PM

Garage
I think it looks pretty good.

Pyro

1930 Ford Model A Pickup (all original)
1980 Chevy LUV (1/4 mile drag truck)
1986 4Runner (built crawler)
1986 Sami (built crawler)
1987 Sami (fully built crawler)
1999 4Runner (supercharged DD)
2008 Tundra 5.7L

Dave'z Off Road Performance
The Following User Says Thank You to PyroZuki For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 09:10 AM

Garage
Can you talk us through the process, where you bought your cans from, and how much you paid? Also after you dipped the bumper what type of paint did you spray the bumper with?
Thanks

2009 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 5.7L Super White
My Motto: DONT EVER GIVE UP
The Following User Says Thank You to ARMYSTRONG For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 AM

Looks great.
The Following User Says Thank You to flippindrew For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

looks good! keep it!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to kelkel67 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#25 (permalink) Old 10-14-2012, 05:56 PM

keep it, it looks great and is inspiring...as of now i am in between touch up coats on my grille, i'm using black still right now bc the black is easier to find and cheaper, but i have a can of white to put on top, and then the spray color match is in the mail...what type of clear coat should i use and what do you mean by "polish it out"
thanks,
joe

2008 Tundra tint, Blue/White halos, LS 460 bi-xeon projectors, painted 2012 tail lights, and a lot of plasti-dip...for now

The Following User Says Thank You to the5-0 For This Useful Post:
dikkie (10-16-2012)
#26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 AM

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMYSTRONG View Post
Can you talk us through the process, where you bought your cans from, and how much you paid? Also after you dipped the bumper what type of paint did you spray the bumper with?
Thanks
Well I used the paint from automotive touchup com, I think they do a good job but it is a little pricey at 20 per aerosol can. I had been playing with the plasti dip and I did my step bars. After a while of getting in and out they started to peel. When I went to take it all off the most important thing I learned was the thinner it was the harder it was to peel.

So going forward from that experience I decided to go overkill and make sure it was super thick in case I wanted to pull it off. I left the bumper on, removed the shrouds where fog lights go, and taped off with tape and newspaper. I left the lower valence on although I tried to remove it. I of course cleaned the bumper (I was out of acetone so I just used dawn and then rubbing alcohol) I laid down the plasti. Then I laid down the color match. Then I laid down the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5-0 View Post
keep it, it looks great and is inspiring...as of now i am in between touch up coats on my grille, i'm using black still right now bc the black is easier to find and cheaper, but i have a can of white to put on top, and then the spray color match is in the mail...what type of clear coat should i use and what do you mean by "polish it out"
thanks,
joe
If you have a metallic that is what complicates the process. The paint you buy could be a perfect color match, but if you hold it too far or too close or put it on too thick or too thin or if the base is not right its going to turn out a little different, despite the paint being a perfect match. I just used regular automotive clear, I used the stuff from automotive touchup but you can stuff that is probably the same at your local autozone pepboys etc.

Let it harden first, aka a few days, but then polish it with your favorite polishing compound, whatever you use on your paint before you wax it. If you don't do that do some research and see what is available to you local, that's what I did. Polish it out to make it shine then wax it. and if you haven't polished your truck do the whole thing, and then wax the whole thing. Its a lot of work but worth it.

anyways thats my advice, I am not happy with it as its not 100% perfect but I like it better than the chrome and have gotten a lot of compliments so I have not peeled it yet. Good luck.

2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4x4 Slate Metallic
LRO 3/1, K&N, Magnaflow, Cabelas molded floor mats(weathertech), CMHLM, CM grill and front bumper, A little plasti dip.

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Dip it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.