Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Took flares off...

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Yakfish 
#1 ·
Not sure if this is right place to post..

I took flares off and I need to know how I can get take the lines off.
Do I need to wet sand and buff it off? Any way to avoid wet sand?

Thanks!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
i would take it to a good detail shop and let them work some magic. def wouldn't wet sand, maybe buffing it out would work, but you'd risk leaving swirl marks.

#3 ·
you wouldn't get swirl marks if they buff/wax it. I think you'll get them nearly out but the white's will never match due to the sun fading the paint and that paint being covered up. just saying. Itll never match 100%

#4 ·
I just removed mine for a different look and can not get them all the way out for anything. Both front flares rubbed all the way through the paint in a few places. The best thing I have tried is a magic eraser just to get all the foreign crap out of the paint. I am not wet sanding it because I plan to put the flares back on due to the paint being effed in a few places on the fender. If its not all the way through the paint the only thing to do is color sand, compound, and polish. The rubber rubs the paint in the area and scratches a line all the way where it sets with the dirt that gets between the two. Compound wont remove 40 grit scratches.

#7 ·
just bought a new turtle wax compound. going to give it a try after i wash truck in the morning then gonna do clay first and apply compound and see how it goes.

And this is only 6 months old. bought it last christmas. should be okay still new though... been raining a lot here in Texas lately.

#8 ·
sent you a PM
in case you are interested on selling flair just want to know if they were pocket flairs...

#10 ·
With super white a polishing compound and a DA polisher will make the marks disappear. I had cheesy chrome moldings on my doors when I bought my truck and had the same issue when I took them off...but they were on for a couple years. Can't tell now. The clay bar or nanoskin most likely won't take it off but it's worth a shot.

Reactions: PitbullTRD
#13 ·
Unfortunately, all paints fade too...it will require some buffing to get it to blend and you may not be able to get it perfect.

Frank

#14 ·
Unfortunately, all paints fade too...it will require some buffing to get it to blend and you may not be able to get it perfect.

Frank

Frank-

You are right. I did the best I could to take lines off. Looks lot better but when you get a close look, you can see a invisible line. Still good enough to for now. Will go up to little rock, Ar to have my father's shop to have it detailed. Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Car Tire Automotive tire Vehicle White

#19 ·
I'm getting the impression that if you add flares, you really need to know that you are going to want them on there for the long term. Even if it doesn't rub the paint, over time the Sun is going to just about fade anything. I want to put 305/65/18 tires on a 30+ offset wheel, but I'm thinking it will probably just stick out a little too far without flares, but if I put them on, I don't think I will ever remove them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.