Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Center caps oxidizing?

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gregers05 
#1 ·
So just bought my truck in October has has 30k on it now. Did not notice before, but my the center caps on my rockwarrior wheels look like they are oxidizing and look like crap.

Dont think they were like this when I bought it, so maybe taking it through the car washes this winter to keep the salt off did this? I know car washes use some pretty concentrated chemicals so was thinking that may have done it?

Anyways whats the best way to go about cleaning these things up?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Mines a 2012 and Toyota has replaced annually under warranty. I'm getting ready to take it in for the recent recall and will have them replaced again.

I'm guessing crappy products used to finish them that I think just plain heat from the brakes when coming down from the mountains does them in. I do a drive from Denver to San Francisco and back each year and when I get back they are wasted.

#4 ·
My rock warrior had the same issue. I ended up having them replaced under warranty a few times then bought a set ($10 each i think) and then traded the truck in on a trd pro. Problem solved.

#5 ·
Same issue here...around $50 per to replace. I don't see a good option to refinish them myself, but I may get sick of them enough before buying new to sand blast them and re-clear them. The color and look may change and look more flat gray, but it might be better than the corroded look!

#7 ·
$50 a piece? I will pass on that for sure. No way I am spending $200 on center caps.

Dont think sand blasting would work, it would take away the polished finish. You would have to take it somewhere to have them re-polish it, and by that point you are will in over $200. After than you would have to repaint the red letter on there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.