Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Need help..left front axle

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  nastyn8 
#1 ·
Hey guys,newbee here been lurking for a while
Just got back from my 10000 mile oill change and dealer says my left front axle is blown
I have a pro comp 3/1 nitro leveling kit and they are blaming that!!
says its going to be around $750 to replace
its 2012 4X4 platinum crewmax
do I remove kit or just fix and hope for the best
they did show me all the greace around the cv boot
any & sugestions would help
do I go to garage to get a better price or have dealer do work
Don't really have the extra $$$$ rite now but need to get fixed
Please chime in

THanks

#2 ·
I would call a diffrent dealer see if they will cover it under warranty.

#3 ·
That sucks.thats bs they are blaming your level kit.they where just looking for something to blame it breaking on something so they didn't have to pay for it

#4 ·
There is a tsb to repair the front diff. Tsb calls for replacing the left front axle in the process. Find the PDF file for the front diff and read it. Print it off and throw it in their face. Should be fixed under warranty. Find a different dealer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: kstateskier
#5 ·
By the way, had the front diff tsb done on my truck last summer. I had a lro 3/1 lift on mine at the time and it was fixed under warranty. I noticed the tsb called to replace the front left axle. Sure enough when I got my truck back I looked underneath and could tell there was a brand new axle shaft only on the left side.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#9 ·
If you end up having to buy axles let me know, I will try to give you the best deal. I have 4 sitting in the garage. Two off my truck that I replaced when I installed my long travel kit with 40K miles and two refurbished ones I had for the long travel kit but decided to go with a set of RCV Performance axles instead.

Reactions: thefullmonte
#13 ·
PM sent

#12 ·
Tundra TSBs (Generation 2, 2007, 2008, 2009...)

Go to post #3

TSB 0121-08j

Sorry, I was probably a little misleading with the tsb. Looks like it is a tsb for 2007-2008 models. And the tsb calls to replace either axle upon inspection. Mine was just the left. But still, that should be covered under warranty. I can't believe they are pointing the blame on the lift. It looks like yours is a 2012 platinum. You payed a pretty coin for that and they should take care of you. Thats just good business. If they won't warranty that, I would find a different dealership. Thats BS.

#16 ·
The axle is blown or the boot? Is the boot torn or just leaking at the clamp? If it is leaking at the clamp i have normally seen that due to it being placed under too much pressure when installing a level kit. Who installed it?

#17 ·
A local shop here in Mass called Yankee custom trucks
Is there a way to take some pressure off, dealership is saying its blown but I will have it double checked as the mechanic was very young....still no answer from dealership and I just came from there and they are saying that they are waiting to here from toyota rep
I think its a smoke screen to deny my claim

#19 ·
I would have the shop that did your level kit look at it. In my experience if they broke the front suspension loose at the upper ball joint, when the spindle is swung out of the way it pulls on that clamp and they fail.
That is why i recommend installing those on Tundras by dropping the lower control arms, less stress on the other components.

#20 ·
Hey nastyn8, funny you should mention that, the service manager just called a little while ago and said the same thing, they want me to come back in the morning again!! to look at the boot...now they are not sure if the axle is blown or if the boot is just leaking at the clamp...not much confidence in the dealership at the moment!!!

#21 ·
I have been through this a few times, other than debris cutting a boot the only other one i have done is a level kit that had no diff drop installed and a broken diff mount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.