Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Rancho Quicklift with 275/65/20's Installed (pics)

15K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  Heavishot 
#1 ·
Thought I would share my experiences and some pics regarding the new Rancho Quicklifts and tires I installed over the last week.

So I ordered these Rancho's off Amazon and recieved them in two days...however to my suprise they looked different when I unpacked them. I called up Rancho and got some answers. They are basically the exact same setup except for the boot...same coil, same shock, etc...The slightly older version has a red accordian style boot while the newer version has a black hard plastic boot. I decided that I didn't want to hassle with sending them back so I tracked down a red replacement boot to match.
So the next morning I went out and rented two sets of spring compressors and started to get to work. I will admit that the coil spring on the Rancho's are pretty tough and it took all 4 of those spring compressors, an impact wrench, and some testicular fortitude to safely get the assembly apart. I replaced the boot got everything back in-line and put it all back together.
So a word of caution...if you order off Amazon...you may run into this same problem. I don't know why they changed the design of the boot...but I prefered the old style to the new. I also recieved the Rancho's for the rear as well...those will get installed this coming weekend though.

This was a win win install for me...my OEM shocks started leaking at 15k and I wanted to level the truck anyways so these were a great solution. The install went fairly well and it took about 2 hours to get them in. Got everything buttoned back up and notcied the camber was pretty off on both front wheels. No worries though as I had already ordered new tires so we went down the street to a muddy field and went for a ride :lol5: Yes...I went off-road mudding in a 2WD with street tires!:eek: All was good though as we had a fun time bouncing around and slinging mud everywhere and we never got stuck. These adjustable shocks really do go from very soft to very stiff depending on the settings you choose. I was quite impressed with the quality of the ride at about 6 clicks to the stiffest setting...just about right.
I would recommend this setup to anyone looking for replacement shocks and a leveling kit.

So two days later I get the call that the tires have arrived so I scoot on over to Discount to get them installed. I decided to go with the Falken Rocky Mountains (same as Wild Peak AT's) in the 275/65/20. I chose these tires because I was looking for an AT tire that would ride good on the street but would give me some durability off-road as well. Also I read alot of good reviews about this tire, they perform great on sand for beach driving, and the price was right as well. When they got them on the truck I honestly thought they were gonna look bigger for a 34" tire, but they fit the wheel well nicely I think. I did have some minor rubbing on the skid plate but I bent it slightly with some channel locks and smoothed it out with a ball peen hammer and I was good to go.

Right after that I headed out for the alignment. I have had the truck aligned twice so far and looking to go in for a 3rd because I still think the camber is a little off. I have a lifetime alignment at Firestone...so I can go back 100 times and won't get charged a dime. The Falken's feel and ride very well. No road noise, no vibrations, and the truck feels very solid on the road. I will mention however that each tire is 25 pounds heavier than the stock Dueler's (275/55/20) I had on there and my gas mileage has gone to shit, but I knew this going into it.

Overall I am very happy with the changes to the truck. With the Rancho's and new tires I actually have to use the step rail to get in the truck now! You can see the difference between my signature pic and the ones I p[osted in this thread. Have a look at the pics and let me know what you guys think or if have any questions.

-The Chadster

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Other than having to swap the boot...everything else was easy cheesy. My friend is gonna put spacers on his Tundra cause they are cheaper. But in my case all my OEM shocks were leaking so I'm basically get the lift, new shock, new springs, and they are adjustable...so the extra cost was justified to me. Also they have a lifetime warranty as well...very happy with my results so far and happy I didn't go with the Bilsteins.

Reactions: Powertechn2
#5 ·
6 clicks up from the softest setting. I think thats just about right...stiff but not so much that I feel every bump. I like my truck to feel like a truck, so that why I have it set high. If you like a real soft car like ride the lowest setting will give you that.

#8 ·
Yeah it's about 2.5 inches...they state that they lvl out to 2.25" after a week or two, but it's been 2 weeks and they still sit about 2.5" on each side. It's level, but I worry if I carry a load or a trailer I might sag a little in the back. Might purchase the Firestone airbags to go in the rear also to solve that issue. My friend has them on his Tundra and tows a 9000lb+ 26" boat and has no sag at all when towing that beast.

#7 ·
Good writeup and feedback.

These trucks look "SO RIGHT" level on about a 34" tire. You and I are running the same setup almost - althuogh I'm on a 3/1 LRO and 275/65/20 BFGATKOs. I love the ride/handling. I also love how this tire size fits perfect inside the wheel well, doesn't stick out and handles so well.

You're right though the MPG takes a shit, but oh well its a truck!

#9 ·
I agree...it was pics like yours that helped me with my decision. So thanks for that! The ride and handling is great and it does fill the wheel well nicely. I know alot of people like there tires to stick out some... it looks good (sometimes), but it wasn't the look I was going for. Plus I think "that" looks better on blacked out trucks while I stuck with the chrome and even added some. Also happy I was able to keep the stock wheels too! Overall I think it's a great choice for someone not looking to do anything too crazy and just want to lvl out and get a bigger tire. KState...your truck looks familiar...you don't happen to live in the Alamo Ranch area do you? :eek:

#12 ·
Yeah it sucks that they would do that. I didn't even wait for them to send them to me. I went online and found a Orielys that had them in stock and bought a replacement that night...had it installed next morning.

You can compress the spring yourself like I did, but if you feel uncomfortable doing that then take it to a shop...they should only charge like 50-60 bucks and hopefully the have the spring compressor thats mounted to a stand or table.

#13 ·
Thanks! I have been meaning to get the DSLR out and take some better photos to post...just been too busy this last week. I also finally got the alignment right now too after 3 trys. Thank Baby Jesus for Firestones lifetime alignment...that thing paid for itself the second time I had to take it.

I'll try and post some better pics and my alignment sheet later this week.

#15 ·
I compressed the spring and removed the hard plastic dust cover and installed the red Rancho boot so they would both match. It's funny they took away the red boot on the quicklifts, but when you order the matching set for the rear they come with the red boots...

#17 ·
No prob...here is a link to the ones for the rear. The same model for both sides:

#20 ·
Any chance you could keep the mud flaps with 275 65 20? I can with 285 60 20. Might go with Toyo AT2's and want to know before I make that decision. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#22 ·
I don't see why not...though some of it may depend on your offset. The stock wheels I have are +60 or else I would have done 285/65/20 and I don't want to add spacers. Also I only have the little flaps in the front and not the ones on the rear, but it looks like there would be plenty of space.

Reactions: thompsonreido
#21 ·
Truck looks good.

If you think the rancho springs were a bear to compress, try compressing the trd steins....

I had to swap my springs over after a lil too in depth conversation with rancho, the ql only gets about half the lift if you install them on a trd stein equipped truck (mine is a rw) unless you swap the stein springs over...

I am GLAD to see they get the correct lift on a non trd steined truck...

before (brand new)

after ...

(bfg's)

New wheels... (sans center caps, was in a hurry)

dirty enough pic to show the wheel well clearance...

#23 ·
Truck looks good.

If you think the rancho springs were a bear to compress, try compressing the trd steins....

I had to swap my springs over after a lil too in depth conversation with rancho, the ql only gets about half the lift if you install them on a trd stein equipped truck (mine is a rw) unless you swap the stein springs over...

I am GLAD to see they get the correct lift on a non trd steined truck...
Thanks, I'm very happy they worked out good. I actually think they have started to settle now in the front as it almost had a Baja look, but now it seems to have settled and looks more level now.

#24 ·
Here's some slightly better pictures I was able to snap:

Attachments

#27 ·
They should be set at the softest setting from the factory (which is #1 as the softest and #9 as the stiffest). The numbers are broken down 1,3,5,7,9....the spaces in between those numbers are considered "clicks" as well. Right now I'm running #6 in the fron and #5 in the rear. To adjust the ones in the rear you will need to crawl under the truck to access the knobs. The ones in the front will require you to turn the wheel to full lock in either direction to access each side at a time. Like he said ^^, hopefully the faced the knobs out so you have access to them.

#26 ·
Count the clicks from all the way soft.. (counter clockwise).

Hope the shop has the adjuster facing the right way.

#29 ·
Make sure and post some pics so we can all see the progress on your truck!

#31 ·
I'm trying to find this out as well as I'm about to install a 1 inch block in the rear. The front didn't settle as much as I had hoped and is giving me just over 2.5 inches of lift in the front so the truck looks all Baja right now. I'll update the thread if I find anything out or get the block installed.

#34 ·
Thanks!:D

#35 ·
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you guys....I called and spoke with an Engineer from Rancho today. I aksed him about the 9000xl's for the rear. He basically said he couldn't give me a "for sure" answer as they wern't designed to be used with any lift. He "thinks" I will be ok in his personal opinion, but he would not make any recommendations from a manufactuers perspective. So basically I don't have a real answer.

My thoughts on this are that we should be fine. If you can drop a 1 inch block on stock rear shocks then we should be fine with the Rancho's. I have a ProComp 1 inch block kit sitting in my garage, I just haven't had time to install it yet. I will post back my results once I get it installed....hopefully this weekend if the weather stays nice.:cool:

#36 ·
Also wanted to give a little update.....

I have found myself adjusting the ride on the shocks depending on my situation. I originally set all 4 at the # 6 setting...which is great for off-road but a little too stiff for highway speeds. Now I have them set at #2 setting for everyday driving (mainly for highway), and I up the setting if I go offroad. I might purchase the wireless controller and compressor so I don't have to get out the truck everytime I want to change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.