Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

All lifts created equal

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  serberus 
#1 ·
Obviously not all lifts are created equal but damn, how do people (you guys) decide on your lift. Show...off road...all arounder...Im wanting something for my 2012 DC RW..5-7inches. There are so many MANUFACTURES and within each kit a whole list of different options. How the hell do you know what to get. I see prices from $1900 to $4500. Are the variances in price really worth that much better product. I know that some of the pricing is on the upgraded shock&coilovers...
Is it possible to get a good lift for 2k?

What do you guys have to say?

This post has been deleted
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link. I was already subscribed to that :)
STill you read something about a lift, you got 5 guys saying one thing and another 5 saying something different. I know everyone is trying to help, but confuses us new guys. And makes me quite nervous to drop 2000+ dollars on my truck.

Id like to know what guys that wanted an ALL AROUND lift opted for. Or why someone choose what they went with. This is the biggest decision and custom part for my brand new truck. Been doing hours of reading but still on the fence.

#3 ·
I spent weeks/months deciding before I went with a 3/1 leveling kit. I initially thought I wanted a 6" Pro Comp but since they are mostly for show I decided not to go that route.

6"+ lifted trucks look amazing but if I am going to drop cash into the suspension it better be off road capable. Till I can afford the coil overs I went 3/1 level and I keep it on the pavement. There is an ongoing thread here about a guy that just blew out the shocks on his Pro Comp stage 1 in the oil fields. Turns out he probably should have went for coil overs.
So like Bad Dad said it all depends what you want to do with your truck. Mall cruiser, boat tower, highway queen, the pro comp is probably fine. It also depends on whether you are 2 or 4 wheel drive as there are a couple more options for 2 wheel trucks such as spindle lifts etc.

#4 ·
Thanks alot for that info...And Bad Dad thank you as well. I THINK i may do the Pro Comp with the coilovers... I see that the price aint to bad and idk how long this has been out but looks like they have an awesome LIFT SHIELD warranty. Is this new? Looks promising to me and a lil bit of a safety net. Im a 2012 DC RW 4x4

#5 ·
Look into the other brands of coil overs. The Pro Comp brand doesn't come highly recommended from my research. Maybe I just did't search enough but I am leaning towards King or Icon myself.
King, Icon, Fox are all very popular brands with a focus on off road capabilities. Coil overs also have the ability to be rebuilt if they ever should go out.

#7 ·
I wonder how crazy a 3" body lift with coil overs would be? I am not sure if it would be any cheaper but you wouldn't be cutting your cross member which I still cringe at for some reason. Don't ask why since I will probably be modding my body mount for wheel/tire combo.
Sorry its late and the GF went out of town tonight. I could talk about this stuff for a week lol.

#8 ·
A real good idea is to do the levelling kit now to satisfy your lift itch and give you time to evaluate what you want to do later. I went with the 3-1 levelling kit and 295/70-18's for now until I can get coilovers later. I got the kit for less than $70 used from a member on this forum in the classifieds. It made such a huge difference I may not ever spend the money on coilovers, who knows.

#9 ·
If your worried about cutting the cross member. You can do a. Bullet proof left 10-12 inches, pro comp 4 inch, rough country 6" all those don't require cutting of the cross member. Bds and zone 5" only requires cutting of the cross member on 4x4 models. But uf your 2wd then you have many more options then that. Like what bad dad said it all depends on your needs. If your going to be a heavy off roader go long travel. Mild off roading to no off roading any of the above should be fine. Each One has its good and its bad.

Reactions: Tundra315
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.