Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Double Cab Buyer Remorse

69K views 311 replies 108 participants last post by  DUMPTYWILLFALL 
#1 ·
I knew it...I just knew it. I was on the fence about whether to buy the double cab or the crewmax (went with the double cab for the standard bed size), and last night made me want to cry.:(

I stopped by the dealership last night to drop off an extra set of keys/fob for my previous vehicle (traded in), and what do you know? Right in front of the entrance they had a stunning 2012 crewmax limited in silver. It's like God put it there to test my resolve in buying my double cab.

So, I sat in it (both front and rear seats), played with the buttons, oogled the inside and outside, and tried to reason with myself that I made the right decision. I even asked the saleman which one he would pick, and he answered "I drive a Prius.". I told him "That will be all.".:disappointed:

Well, after letting my moistened eyes dry a bit, I chalked it up as a lesson learned. Yes. My next Tundra will be a crewmax.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

#41 ·
I agree, it really does, and that's a good way to describe it.

For some reason though, after looking at a lot of the CM lifted and tricked out, they started to look better and better to me.

Reactions: dikkie
#44 ·
My four year old does not kick my seat any more. Come April 8th, the rear facing seat will not force me to move my seat up. The DC does look more sporty, I will agree with that. ...and I have four wheel drive now, so trips to the snow and drives on the beach are a little less worrisome now! I'm just having a hell of a time choosing wheels for a white truck.

#48 ·
Well no remorse on buying a crewmax love the room!!! no need for the longer bed don't haul that much. What i have haul the space has been enough!! The only thing i wish was different is out side color! I really wanted silver and wish i got this interior look. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Center console

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This post has been deleted
#54 · (Edited)
That was the same reason i got a crewmax. But i have gone from a excab truck to a crewmax but I don't care for the longer bed. So that why i like the crewmax!!! Lol i like the part were i can drive a12mpg truck because i can!!! that funny!!!

#50 ·
If I didn't have kids, i probably would have gotten a DC.
But the one thing I don't care for on the DC is the handle for the rear door.
It totally looks out of place.
I think they shoulda used a regular handle or made it a suicide door with a door jamb handle, like the chevy ext cabs.
Well, maybe not, that's inconvenient.
But the way it is now is goofy lookin.

#55 ·
Well I have not had a crewmax but I have had both size Titans which are similar in bed lengths. This time I got the double cab instead of the shrt 5.5 bed. I can haul more stuff and really missed it when I got the 5.5 bed. With 2 full size dirtbikes and gear the 5.5 bed just does not fit all my stuff well. I only have one kid so the DC is plenty. I could have purchased any truck I wanted to and I got what I wanted. I feel the only difference besides the smaller bed is in more leg room that I never see since I am driving. I can fit one full size KTM in the bed with the gate closed and still tow my 14' enclosed trailer. Sorry a crewmax will never be able to do that. So it all depends on what YOU want not us.

#56 ·
My CM has over 89" along the bed diagonally...That fits a pretty darn big bike. I've had both (08 DC SR5 4x2 and 12 CM Plat 4x4). My CM is frikkin sweet! I don't have kids or dogs but I find it a better balanced vehicle for me than the DC. And hell yes all the windows down and moonroof opened, almost a convertible. :)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#58 ·
So, why are you crying not getting a CM? Did I miss something for the need for an extra 10" or more of rear seat legroom? That is pretty much the ONLY advantage of a crewmax over a DC tundra costing several grand less. Personally, you can easily fit 3 full sized 6' adults in rear seat of a DC, so why are you complaining? Just because of looks? Stop whining and sell the DC then and get the crewmax, problem solved. Only way I would ever buy a Crewmax tundra is if the bed length was at least 6'3" but would prefer 6'6" like the DC has now. My opinion: the CM is for the upscale crowd while the DC is the more sensible all around choice serves both purposes the best.

#59 ·
If it helps, I think Crewmax rigs just look weird. To much cab so they just look funny to me. Same with the Tacomas - just wrong. That's my 2 cents anyway.

I do think they look cool jacked up 6" or more though. It kinda takes away from the overly huge cab / tiny bed / unbalanced / out of proportion look.

But if you are really that disappointed I say trade it in and take the loss. Whatever makes you happy because life is too short.

I think the DC Monster trucks look great though! Haven't seen a CM Monster though.

#81 ·
Haven't seen a CM Monster though.
Let me fix that for you:

Which model towed the shuttle? Oh, that's right :p

I've never tried to get something in the bed of the Tundra and been a foot short, ever. Now I get it, some people have items they don't wish to trailer that do need that extra foot.
Everyone is different. To claim one model is better than the other is just crazy, I mean the CM is obviously better :p

#68 ·
Exactly. I think, obviously, it has to serve your needs.

I think, OP, if you picked a DC and it suits you, don't regret it. There is largely 2 pieces at play here. You need the cab space or you need the bed space.

If you tow it really doesn't matter which you get. In my case that was exactly it. I needed the cab more than the bed. I need the bed from time to time, but using someone elses analogy (forgive me for not quoting it) over a certain point (hay/steel/etc) you will go for the trailer.

I say enjoy your purchase and remember it won't do everything no matter what you buy!

#62 ·
I have a dc but like the cab on the cm but have to have the bed. Just like every one elce. What we need is a cm with a full bed. Like the 04-06 tundra had. I had a 04 crew cab and it was great! If u can get a dc with a long bed I don't see why u can't get a full bed cm. oh and my sr5 dc has navigation, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, sonar, and a back up cam that plays on the navigation screen. And I do love my truck.

#63 ·
My entertainment during warmer days is to roll down my back window (and roll up) especially when another brand truck is right behind me. I would pay $3k extra for just being able to see their expression. Heck I do that even during winter sometimes. :D

#64 ·
No regrets here. Sure I wish the back window when down the same way, other than that I'm DC all the way.

#67 ·
I hardly find my CM impractical and do not miss my Gen1 longer bed at all. Just yesterday I hauled a lot of items relevant to my work that would not fit in a car and I carried two tall guys in the back without having to cram them in. I haul people more than I do loads but I can't bring home a yard of soil, or a sheet of plywood in a car.

It may be impractical for the lifestyles of some but spot on perfect for others.

Get what you like, keep one hand on the steering wheel and with the other, give the bird to anyone else who cares what you like and drive.

OP, I originally got the 4.6 (longer story) and kept kicking myself for not getting the 5.7. Finally decided I'm keeping this truck for a while and I'd keep beating myself up all the while I had it so I took it back and traded it in for the 5.7 a few weeks later. If you're having thoughts about trading it, either accept the DC now or go trade it. If you can do it before they would have to sell your DC as a used one, it'll be an easy switch but it'll never get cheaper than today to do it.

#69 ·
I like that the back seat can fold up and with back seat mod it can fold down too. I like both but the dc works better for my situation. No kids in the back, only the dog and I carpeted the top of the underseat storage box so she doesn't slide and seats stay clean What ever fits your needs.
btw my 2011 sr5 has bluetooth and steering wheel controls.

Reactions: riccnick
#71 ·
Well, I make a very modest salary and live in a dumpy house in an even dumpier neighborhood.
And I bought a CM because I could finally afford a new vehicle payment and it was the perfect vehicle for what I do.

Although, I do believe that, now that I DO own a crewmax tundra,....
I basically AM better than everyone.
So, I guess he was right. :dunno:

This post has been deleted
#75 ·
Threads like this always crack me up because you continually get the people who say things like "I got the DC because I use my truck as a truck" and "get the CM if you just want to haul groceries." I honestly think most people who say these things have never "used" a CM, I mean seriously, it's not a freaking FJ; it has a bed that is exactly 12" shorter than a DC and if you really need more space on occasion then drop the dang tailgate and use a bed extender if necessary. The only real problem I have with the CM is that you have all that extra space in the cab but you actually get less storage space because of the rear seat design not allowing the under seat storage. I think Toyota really screwed up here b/c the storage in a CM sucks and you end up pushing the seats forward a bit in order to store stuff behind the seats. Toyota also should have designed the seats to pull forward more and then allow the seat to recline all the way back to lay completely flat. I love the CM but also love some of the DC features.

Believe it or not, "using a truck like a truck" entails a lot more than just carrying crap around in the bed. Personally, I think I use my CM as a truck quite often. Even though I rarely need to carry stuff around in the bed, I tow my TT constantly and I take the truck off-road where cars would never venture quite often. There are a lot more uses for a truck other than throwing stuff in the bed. If people think that a truck is defined by the size of the bed then all of you should be driving around with long bed double cabs, yet, I rarely see anyone with one of those.

I still say you get a CM if you want a larger cab, you get a DC if you want a larger bed, but to suggest that one is more of a truck than the other really is ridiculous.

#78 ·
I still say you get a CM if you want a larger cab, you get a DC if you want a larger bed, but to suggest that one is more of a truck than the other really is ridiculous.
I agree with the statement above. When I was buying my truck, I chose the DC. I've been completely happy with for the past two years I've had it, and have plenty of adults in the back seat, and not a single one complained that it was too small. In fact, most of them have said how surprised how much room there is in the back seat, and said they're more than comfortable.

#82 ·
CM all the way!!

I have had a extended cab/DC sized trucks up till now. There is simply not enough good things to day about the CM! Love it!

I had a mounted tool box in my last truck (05 GMC Sierra w/ 6.5' bed). I actually gained 8" of bed with the CM. unless the truck is a total work machine for you then the CM is all you will ever need. And at that the 6.5' bed on the DC won't be enough for a total work machine, you need the 8' bed.

I'm a CM guy for life now :)